Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Does anyone fear going outside for a walk in their neighborhood? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/does-anyone-fear-going-outside-for-a-walk-in-their-2235205/)

Captainmycaptain 08-14-2020 04:29 PM

Does anyone fear going outside for a walk in their neighborhood?

I want to go on a fifteen walk around my neighborhood, but it gets me stressed thinking about it and I stay home. I am worried that neighbors will be outside and I'll have to say "hello" to them or they will be watching and discussing me from their homes when I walk. Or I will make them nervous as I pass by or they will confront me and ask who I am and what I'm doing.

firelight 08-14-2020 05:08 PM

Yes. Still feel better if I go though.

CarpeLibrum 08-15-2020 07:07 AM

No, but I live in a pretty safe neighborhood.

It may be tough for you, but try to muster up the courage to say "hello" and keep walking. It's a fairly quick interaction that only takes one second and I'm sure nobody wants to have a full conversation. Provide brief responses if they ask questions and then be on your way. If your neighbors are watching/discussing you from their homes, to hell with them. Don't let a**holes prevent you from living/enjoying your life. If they are nervous, that's their problem. If they ask you what you are doing, you're just a guy who lives in the area and is enjoying a walk around the neighborhood.

You may have to interact with neighbors, but these interactions are fairly quick and manageable if you can muster up the courage. Again, do not let other people prevent you from living/enjoying your life.

Good luck!

Paul 08-15-2020 08:51 AM

I fear it anytime near rush hours, and I pretty much stay in on weekends because more people are out then. But I walk around the neighborhood at other times when the chances of encountering anyone are slim.

Mango__ 08-15-2020 09:43 AM

Yeah but that's more because of the whole Asian hate thing going on because of the coronavirus scare. It's died down massively though but there's still a few things I hear here and there that make me really self conscious of going out alone.

Excaliber 08-15-2020 11:00 AM

We have a neighbor who likes to sit on his lawn chair outside his garage door, it always anxiety provoking when I go past him because he likes to strike up a conversation or wave as you go by.

LittleEarthquakes 08-19-2020 06:41 AM

Yes. I don't even go grocery shopping alone. :( It helps to have someone go with me, though.

sabbath9 08-19-2020 06:59 AM

Here in Miami I worry about the heat, stray dogs, distracted drivers, muggers, etc., so I prefer driving to the park to walk :p

chrisinmd 08-19-2020 07:35 AM

Not me personally that much. My problem was more when I am in front of a group of people. I never liked walking into a place of business or public place and everyone turns and looks at you for a second when you walk in. Feels like everyone is judgeing you

Mlt18 08-20-2020 12:40 AM

Yeah I donít like it much because I might get annoying or creepy attention. I used to walk around more when I was a kid but once I learned how to drive it became more convenient to just avoid it. Plus my mom once walked to a store and some random dude that was looking to pick up hookers tried talking to her. So yeah.

ladyscuttle 08-20-2020 01:00 AM

Meeee.... I'm currently trying to treat agoraphobic tendencies though. I disassociate a lot, which kinda makes me feel like I'm going to faint, so I avoid everything. Have I ever fainted? No. Has that worry caused panic attacks? Yepp. I also HAAAAATE heat and humidity. It makes me feel like I cant breathe.

Blue Dino 08-20-2020 03:54 AM

Maybe wear sunglasses, hat and facemask when you go. Start off small distances, walk places with less people, walk at night. Etc. And gradually work your to situations where you will be more exposed to people.

CopadoMexicano 08-20-2020 08:14 AM

ive always worried about leaving my house but i did it anyway since childhood but what made it worse was living in the ghetto. The early to mid 90s was different then it is now. There were a lot of thugs and cholos at the time. I dont even remember how to say cholo in english ugh. but i kind of miss the early 90s and early 2000s. Those were my perfect years as everything else seemed much more laid back. Today, I'm always anticipating to make a choice for half the day whether or not I should just go to drive to grocery store. Now walking in my neighborhood I avoid like the plague so instead I walk indoors im lucky enough to have a large house to walk around and achieve my steps. Might not be as stimulating environment as going to the park or neighborhood but Im too concerned about being watched, judged, followed, and what people think. :duck

CoolLilChickadee 08-20-2020 07:42 PM

Yeah, I struggle with this. It feels like all eyes are on me.

WillYouStopDave 08-20-2020 07:59 PM

I don't know if "fear" is the right word. I guess I have a sufficient level of anxiety about it that it motivates me to not ever do it.

But I mean it's pretty much not done where I live. If you ever saw anyone outside here for not obvious reasons it would seem very strange.

slyfox 08-20-2020 10:11 PM

Yes, I've had trouble with my neighbors across the road. I don't even want to spend time in my yard because they might try to interact with me. Have a repair man coming over today to work on something outside. The husband is nosy so worry he'll not be able to resist coming over.

andy1984 08-20-2020 11:14 PM

it factors into why I avoid going out some days. so yeah I guess that's fear. interactions with people make me uncomfortable usually. someone nodded friendily at me today and I nodded back. ok interaction. ish.

zkv 08-21-2020 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Dino (Post 1094001675)
Maybe wear sunglasses, hat and facemask when you go. Start off small distances, walk places with less people, walk at night. Etc. And gradually work your to situations where you will be more exposed to people.

I do that a lot when walking around the city. Feels a lot safer, even if it's all in my head. Got to remove the hoodie (and ruffle my hair in front of a big glass window) when entering a store or something though, or it'd go something like

https://i.imgur.com/ChM1Cde.jpg
Ladies, gentlemen, let's see who wins the prize for for keeping their cool. Simon says: everybody down on the floor. Now, nobody loses their head, and nobody loses their head.

Fixxer 08-21-2020 04:06 AM

I think it's a matter of timing. Sure, there is no chances of being quiet the whole time out, but picking up the times to leave or going with your gut feeling can sometimes makes the walk easier.

rabidfoxes 08-21-2020 04:29 AM

I used to get this badly enough not to go out much. My partner was extremely outgoing and would get to know the whole street, so that whenever I left the house I had to say 'hi' to everyone. I hated it. When we lived in a Jamaican area, all the (male) neighbours were protective of me, which was very annoying. I'd get some drunk hit on me and someone would immediately show up to sort out the situation as if I couldn't handle it myself.

Nowadays it's much better (the situation has improved, I have improved, etc.) but I still like to wear sunglasses when I go out. They create a barrier between me and the people. And I actually like random interactions with strangers, I just don't want them to happen because 'it's only polite'. I'd rather they were authentic or not at all.