Does anyone else on here hate politics? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does anyone else on here hate politics?

Hey guys, so I realize that politics are necessarily. I also realize that participating in politics is necessary whether that is becoming a politician or just simply voting in your local or national election. You dont have to vote if you dont want to. However, I feel like especially in the last few years politics has brought out the worst in people. I have my own political views so I'm sort of biased but I feel no need to hate others who might disagree with me. Your politics is not a full reflection of who you are. I personally beleive there are good Republicans, Democrats, independents,ect. Same thing with religion or race. I am of a particular race and follow a particular religion but if you are not my race or you follow another religion or dont follow one at all that is fine. I guess I'm naive to think that everyone should just accept each other for who they are but I cant help it. My Myers briggs personality type is infp (the mediator). I dont really watch or read the news because it makes me depressed. Although if you are fascinated by the news and it does not make you sad, then that is perfectly ok. 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:08 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

@Infinitegalaxycat , would you feel the same way if you were living in Germany in the 1930s?

If more people cared, the world would be a much better place.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
@Infinitegalaxycat , would you feel the same way if you were living in Germany in the 1930s?

If more people cared, the world would be a much better place. <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/orangeyes.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
Hey, good point. Like I said before though, politics is VERY NECESSARY. I guess I just wish that people could work together and be a little bit nicer about it. I feel that if we could do that then things would get done more easily, and the world will be a better place.....&#x1f601;

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
People hating others for their politics is part of what lead to 1930s Germany. Nazi Germany forbade belonging to other parties; everyone had to be in the same party and zero tolerance was shown for anyone who wanted to join or found a different party.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Don
Fupa King

I hate extreme party loyalty, and I get sick of the simple-minded narratives people buy into on daily basis from sources that abuse data by manipulating it to seem as though it only supports one narrative, one theory. I also get sick of bullcrap, clearly fake political personas and public images that politicians use to manipulate people.

Politics are inescapable, though they can be so divisive and polarizing. Humans aren't the smartest bunch when it comes to cooperation between different minded individuals and communities. It's hard though. All of us make presumptions about what's true on a daily basis and are constantly looking for ways to support our own theories and narratives even if it doesn't quite represent reality. I just wish more people would become more self-aware of it. I genuinely believe most people's opinions are formed out of some sort of confirmation bias because we all want to have a moment where we see something that we feel is true and say "YES! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I SEE IT!" or "This event can mean only one thing:
[insert political narrative here]" when it isn't always the case.

Life's Wack
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:53 PM

The problem is, one side has a different set of facts. They called them "alternative facts" on TV. That's totally crazy. They also believe that their side is above the law.

We can't even agree on facts, so there's no chance whatsoever that we can have a civil discussion about policy.

And we have a lot of people who base their opinions on alternative facts, purely out of loyalty to their party.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:38 PM
raising your spirits

My Mood: Brooding
I admit, I'm a bit apathetic. People are going to treat me like **** no matter who's in power. So I just try to survive day-by-day. The news triggers my OCD, and I can't remember anyone's name anyway, so trying to follow politics is an exercise in futility for me.

In science, ideology tends to corrupt; absolute ideology [corrupts] absolutely" - Robert Nisbet
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:13 PM
We don't belong here.

My Mood: Innocent
I hate how politics have shifted from friendly debates to outright hostility towards anyone with even the slightest inclination away from ones preferred political affiliation.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:01 PM

One party's existence depends on people being misinformed or uninformed. And they often win, which says a lot about our country.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM
bipolar

I'm interested in it to a point - I listen to a lot of current affairs and news. But the political programs usually bore me to death. It all gets a bit silly sometimes.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:38 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I like to contemplate the disillusionment, repression, and sexuality, of various political radicals who usually fall on the schizo-spectrum somewhere. Also anything 'Satanic.' But on a superficial level, because my post-modern ADHD brain doesn't have the attention span for depth. If you mean 'bla bla Trump' mainstream politics then no, incredibly boring usually unless I can find a way to autistically incorporate him in some mind wandering usually via people constantly comparing him to Hitler lol.. But I'm still not interested in him.

^ this clip with Slavoj Žižek that I discovered recently is one of the best things ever. I will probably quote it in my signature eventually.

Nick Land alternating between a form of radical feminism, and word salad in Fanged Noumena and Meltdown:

Quote:
The patronymic has irrecoverably divested all the women who fall under it of any recourse to an ethno-geographical identity; only the twin powers of father and husband suppress the nomadism of the anonymous female fluxes that patriarchy oppressively manipulates, violates, and psychiatrizes. By allowing women some access to wealth and social prestige the liberalization of patriarchy has sought to defuse the explosive force of this anonymity, just as capital has tended to reduce the voluptuous excess of exogamic conjugation to the stability of nationally segmented trading circuits
Quote:
The left tends to be evasive about the numbing violence intrinsic to revolutionary war, and feminism is often particularly fastidious in this respect, even reverting to absurd mystical and Ghandian ideologies. If feminist struggles have been constantly deprioritized in theory and practice it is surely because of their idealistic recoil from the currency of violence, which is to say, from the only definitive ‘matter’ of politics. The state apparatus of an advanced industrial society can certainly not be defeated without a willingness to escalate the cycle of violence without limit. It is a terrible fact that atrocity is not the perversion, but the very motor of such struggles: the language of inexorable political will. A revolutionary war against a modern metropolitan state can only be fought in hell. It is this harsh truth that has deflected Western politics into an increasingly servile reformism, whilst transforming nationalist struggles into the sole arena of vigorous contention against particular configurations of capital.(FN)
Quote:
For it is only when the pervasive historical bond between masculinity and war is broken by effective feminist violence that it will become possible to envisage the uprooting of the patriarchal endogamies that orchestrate the contemporary world order. With the abolition of the inhibition of synthesis – of Kantian thought – a sordid cowardice will be washed away, and cowardice is the engine of greed. But the only conceivable end of Kantianism is the end of modernity, and to reach this we must foster new Amazons in our midst. (FN: 1039)
Quote:
As you speed-up the industrialization simulation you see it converge with slow-motion butchery, chopping up the body into trade-format interchangeable parts. The full labour-market cycle blurs into a meat-grinder. Does lust eat anyone except in proximity to evil? When you ask Continuity where Bataille understood the capitalist-antichrist conjunction any better than Weber she laughs coldly, and says: "he ran out o' yang, just about the time the Hitler-trip caved in. Orgasm is impossible after Auschwitz."

You look perplexed. She merely adds a dismissive shrug, and the suggestion: "defocus desire across the skin, where it can hurt security. It's war." The camera explores her crotch, and she wriggles about. "You see, I am God." Blitz images of dead astronauts.
Quote:
Meltdown has a place for you as a schizophrenic HIV+ transsexual chinese-latino stim-addicted LA hooker with implanted mirrorshades and a bad attitude. Blitzed on a polydrug mix of K-nova, synthetic serotonin, and female orgasm analogs, you have just iced three Turing cops with a highly cinematic 9mm automatic.
Clearly feeling nostalgic:

https://twitter.com/Outsideness/stat...84516343123969
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:06 PM
SAS Member

I wouldn't say I hate politics but rather the way that we consume it. Everywhere you turn, someone is trying to pump you full of fear and outrage, and it's lead to a really toxic and unproductive culture that brings out the worst traits in people.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

munkees

all global leaders

never any school

no book ever read

go HELL OH! SHOUT! get six-figure salary by smiling and being mentally thwarted. uh. ugg. uh. oh. ug.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I watch both the live streaming of Parliament channel & C-Span live streaming Senate

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 AM

I think a lot of people here don't have the energy to keep up with all the scandals. It can be a bit overwhelming and depressing. And time consuming--especially when you're trying to get a better life. Who has time to keep up?

Personally, I've given up all hope for a better life, so I read the news from several sources every day. I'm always hoping that something will lead to world annihilation, so that's my motivation.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

Kind Of

Firstly, you are very brave for posting this. I agree that politics tends to bring out the worst in people.

Secondly, I don't really have an affinity for politics either way 'cause it's just a bunch of people lying, acting, and then debating on things they solely have control over (or don't)—at least, for the people directly involved.

I detested listening to my classmates in university talk about politics like they were geniuses or something. I found it even more ludicrous when I found out you can major in that stuff.

It just turns into a spectacle where one party decides to outdo the other—and all to win an argument.

I don't agree with this stuff not reflecting who you are, however. It very much paints a pretty clear picture of who you are (when enough is said). Granted, we may not know exactly why someone believes what they do—which may or may not give us some leeway in understanding them (which I believe is what you were getting at). Do sides tend to go overboard in how they treat each other? Yes, they very much do. I think we can have our differences but the appropriate way to handle disputes is to simply discuss it in a mutually respectful manner. Problem is politics usually gets very touchy and people then start to get emotional (which can be good).

I remember reading an article once where an interview was done on a couple where one was religious and the other wasn't. They were pretty much opposite in beliefs but they had managed to stay married for a long time. It's those kind of things that makes me think the same can be done for everything else.

Perhaps I am also a bit too naive/optimistic but I earnestly feel folks could get along if they wanted to. Of course, "getting along" can mean very different things for different people.

I don't hold anything against people of faith or those who stick to a particular political faction but just knowing what a certain person believes gives me an idea of what else they may believe in. Everyone pretty much does that and I find it normal. It's acting on those assumptions that lands you in trouble.

I'm just glad we can get parodies for this kind of stuff.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Generally speaking, politics are the symptom and people are the disease. You can't get rid of either one of them so you might as well do your best to avoid both.

/WYSD
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:03 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
I enjoy thinking about politics/society/controversial subjects and discussing them with the right people. Unfortunately, people tend to get butthurt pretty easily. Also, most people aren't even informed (forgivable), nor do they TRY to be informed (unforgivable) with what they're talking about.

I have yet to see a forum where people have respectful and reasoned debates about issues. It's usually just name-calling.

At the end of the day, a debate is a quest for a conclusion. It should be an experience where one is open to learning - even if it means abandoning their original ideology.

I don't think people enter the arena with that goal in mind, though. They usually just want to rave and rant.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitegalaxycat View Post
Hey guys, so I realize that politics are necessarily. I also realize that participating in politics is necessary whether that is becoming a politician or just simply voting in your local or national election. You dont have to vote if you dont want to. However, I feel like especially in the last few years politics has brought out the worst in people. I have my own political views so I'm sort of biased but I feel no need to hate others who might disagree with me. Your politics is not a full reflection of who you are. I personally beleive there are good Republicans, Democrats, independents,ect. Same thing with religion or race. I am of a particular race and follow a particular religion but if you are not my race or you follow another religion or dont follow one at all that is fine. I guess I'm naive to think that everyone should just accept each other for who they are but I cant help it. My Myers briggs personality type is infp (the mediator). I dont really watch or read the news because it makes me depressed. Although if you are fascinated by the news and it does not make you sad, then that is perfectly ok. &#x1f609;
Starting to hate them, yes. Newsflash to many people: snark, crying or yelling are not arguments.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 AM
Tired

I don't care. It falls under the category of "things I can't do anything about". I also find it boring as ****, so there is that.

I have been trying to explain to H for months now why "I am not a feminist" despite fundamentally thinking men and women have equal rights, blah. Because it's a social identity. Accepting a social identity compromises you. It creates an in-out group and all of those ridiculously well established biases will totally **** up your thinking. She stated this was "semantics" until I pointed out all of the research on social identity.

The same goes for politics. People literally self identify as a group (right or left). Which is absurd, as it basically pigeonholes you into in and outgroup thinking. Honestly, politics is like being a spectator in a football match, it creates conflict, and you have literally less control over what happens (in a football match the players might at least hear you shout something).

Politics is about as important as football, and football is just stupid.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page