Do you still find you get bullied by young people? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you still find you get bullied by young people?

Today there was a gang of youths outside a shop. I was on the other side of the road and I heard one of them shout "He looks like Shaggy off Scooby Doo" (I have a bit of a mop top at the moment and I'm tall and skinny) and then he kept calling me a pu$$y.
I just walked on and pretended I couldn't hear him, but it depressed me to think that I'm 31 and I was essentially bullied by kids. I get frustrated with myself because I should have shouted something back at them but I just don't want any aggro.

Why is it they feel the need to target someone like me? Is it just how you come across, the fact I probably come across as being quiet and awkward, or maybe it's the fact I'm skinny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:26 PM
SAS Member

It's not because of you!
It can happen to everyone!
They are idiots!

Good on you for just ignoring them!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:59 PM
Gangsta Crayon

People like that are so immature.

I'm a manager at a store and get bullied by people that are still in HS or just got out. It's like my job is HS except I get paid to deal with it and don't do homework. But what's the point in trying to impress crazy people like that? I just keep to myself. Solitude really is bliss in my experience.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:19 PM
SAS Member

This is why I have my earbuds in at all times, and a baseball cap on and i am 42. They can say whatever insult they want about me, guess what? I can't see them or hear their insults. Adult males say 20 years old and up i would consider that real bullying. Anything younger than that, I think they are cowards and realize because they are so young, you can't really fight back because anyone looking in will think, God, you are fighting with a kid? So you then look like the aggressor. i think being skinny doesn't help but I think it is mainly people target someone walking alone. Remember, even big bodybuilders get taunted often, believe it or not. It is like if Hercules is walking around, if you can challenge and defeat them, you are kind of "king of the jungle" So in a way, you being skinny may even help avoid bullying like that because people will say, "oh the guy is pathetic, why even bother" I am skinny too, and i think I avoid a lot of drama because i look pathetic. I have heard all kinda of insults, and thugs will yell out curses, preppy kids will do it in a more elitist way, and working class drunks in a more dopey, basic education type of way. This is why I avoid everyone, people suck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Talking

anyone?

any o' ya?

any o' yaz??

any??

sum o' ya?? wot U? yooooooh? +++
???

bullllyyyyyinngggggg only occurz by those uneducated of no comprehension of languish

doooo doooo doooo!!! u doooo dooo ya??

how begin a phrase/sentence? no human knowz. 1. U 2. DOOOO! 3. U DOO / DOO U??? U UU U +++ m ore U +++MORE

DOOOOOEYYY NEEEANNDEERRRTHALL!! UG!!! UH!!! O! ooooPz no third word exists
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 01:27 AM
Social Pothole

I don't really get bullied much fortunately. But I still get called by random people in passing cars. Often times these are people much younger than I am.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 02:19 AM
Barbells and kittens

I had a lot of that happen when I was younger and skinny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 AM
experimental sincerity

Those are yobs. Yobs are scary regardless of their age. There are 12-year-old who carry knives and 14-year-olds who run in gangs like wild dogs. They're just passing time, waiting for their turn in prison. There's nothing shameful about avoiding them. It's a pretty smart strategy, actually. Even if you were to pick a fight with them, they get smacked around already by their parents and peers, so you'd have nothing to contribute to their misery.

If you meet them so often they might start to victimise you, there may be a case for tackling it early, but I'd prefer to call the cops over direct confrontation.

I've been picked on by yob kids at various points in my life (once had stones hurled at me) and I got out of there quick. I only fought back (once dragged a kid in the snow face down) when I knew the kid and knew he wasn't going to knife me.

Stay safe. I don't know what their problem was, everyone likes Shaggy.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 02:32 PM
SAS Member

I dressed like a thug and was the kid who never talked but got in trouble all the time for small stupid stuff, I think I did just so I wouldnt be picked on, no idea what people thought of me in high school
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:51 PM
We got da SAUCE 🍲

Language: American English
Nope. I like to believe kids nowadays have wisened up and recognize when someone older than them doesn't mind catching a charge to slap a hoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
Isn't it a bit early to worry about that at 7 years old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
I don't believe you at all about the taste. You are vegan anyway, so how would you know what meat tastes like. I get sick of vegans saying it tastes the same and then you bite into it and it's horrible.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 02:45 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
I've been picked on by yob kids at various points in my life (once had stones hurled at me) and I got out of there quick. I only fought back (once dragged a kid in the snow face down) when I knew the kid and knew he wasn't going to knife me.

Stay safe. I don't know what their problem was, everyone likes Shaggy.

Where do you live?! Scary

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Age doesn't matter, there's a big variety...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 AM
SAS Member

A few years ago there used to be two jerks who would ride their bikes on my street. They were probably 12 or so. One time I was working in the yard and I heard them saying some kind of crap about me as they went by. Then a few months later I was out for a walk and they came by and started crap like riding right next to me and circling me, and blocking the street so I couldn't get through. I just ignored them and turned around and they started spitting on me and saying "my only friends are cops" and asking if I was going to call the cops. No idea where they got that from.

Never saw them around after that. I bet they'll grow up to be some real winners, if they aren't in jail already, at the rate they're going.

Then last weekend I was out and some drunk dude on a golf cart with a bunch of women on the back took a swipe at me and was like "hey, what's up dude!"

I don't know where these types of people get targets from. Maybe we look weak or like a potential target, because of our behavior as anxious or something?

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post

Where do you live?! Scary
UK But these incidents happened in different places and over 15+ years. There are little gangs in most urban areas. Most of the time those kids are just bored and miserable.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page