Do you ever lie about your age? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid

Do you ever lie about your age?

Due to being a weirdo and having a fairly chequered employment history I'm now working in a job where the average age is probably around 20. My team leader, so my basically my boss, is 20. I'm at least 5 years older than almost all of the people I work with. However due to having a young looking face and the build of a skinny 18/19 year old, when people have asked how old I am I've said 21 and they believe me. The only person who knows my actual age is the HR lady as she has my information on file. I just feel a lot more comfortable saying that I'm this age then my actual (27). When I tell people my actual age they can immediately tell I'm a **** up and probably find it weird that I'm so underdeveloped physically. Saying I'm in my early twenties though makes people think I'm at a decent career stage for my age and that I actually look my normal for my age. Does anyone else here like to people about their age to make themselves feel better and less anxious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
I don't look 24. When I go to get my hair cut someone invariably asks me what I am doing with my life. I usually tell them I am still in college studying whatever.

In England that would make me 17-19. I don't directly tell them my age, but it's essentially the same thing.

Nothing to be ashamed of, it's a pointless question in the first place so bollocks to it.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
I've never lied about my age but people have been surprised at the truth.

It goes both ways for me, If I shave off my goatee I look like I'm an 18 year old - I try to avoid shaving it all off anyways because I break out, then I really look it.

However I usually keep my goatee, so I've been told that I look older, somewhere between 25-27. It makes it really interesting when people find out how old I am when I'm out doing sales on the road because there isn't really anyone my age that's doing it at all, its all old guys. They just assume someone my age doesn't know anything.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
I don't look 24. When I go to get my hair cut someone invariably asks me what I am doing with my life. I usually tell them I am still in college studying whatever.

In England that would make me 17-19. I don't directly tell them my age, but it's essentially the same thing.

Nothing to be ashamed of, it's a pointless question in the first place so bollocks to it.
I try to take that attitude of 'age is just a number' but it seems as if everyone's obsessed with it. Seems like the people in my office seem to have a conversation about it everyday, all over the internet there's threads about how you shouldn't live at home past 25 and have a proper career etc. Then there's all the articles about the youngest this and youngest that.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siman89 View Post
I try to take that attitude of 'age is just a number' but it seems as if everyone's obsessed with it. Seems like the people in my office seem to have a conversation about it everyday, all over the internet there's threads about how you shouldn't live at home past 25 and have a proper career etc. Then there's all the articles about the youngest this and youngest that.
That's the best attitude to have.

As for the rest, it's all ****e. Articles like that are almost always aimed at the demographic of the reader. If your readers are mostly over 25 with a career then writing an article telling them how well they have done in life is in their best interest.

There are very few situations where your age truly matters, like with your HR department for example, everyone else can piss off.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Im 24, 5'1& people tell me that I look 18.I even get still get asked to show my ID at some places.When I hit my late 20s+early 30s,Im sure I will be grateful for this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
The only people who ask my age are doctors, so I kind of have to be honest with them. :/

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 PM
You tell me

No. But I'm not forthcoming about it, and people usually just assume me to be younger than I am, by quite a lot. I've had people act flabbergasted when I tell them my age, which I find extremely embarrassing so I tend to avoid telling them because I don't want a scene.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Spirit of Vengeance

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rains View Post
No. But I'm not forthcoming about it, and people usually just assume me to be younger than I am, by quite a lot. I've had people act flabbergasted when I tell them my age, which I find extremely embarrassing so I tend to avoid telling them because I don't want a scene.
Wow this describes my situation perfectly. I was going to write a post but this already basically said everything I was going to say.

“Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.”

I've got a Dungeon Master's guide
I've got a 12-sided die
I've got Kitty Pryde
And Nightcrawler, too
Waiting there for me
Yes I do, I do

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:22 AM
noydb

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siman89 View Post
Due to being a weirdo and having a fairly chequered employment history I'm now working in a job where the average age is probably around 20. My team leader, so my basically my boss, is 20. I'm at least 5 years older than almost all of the people I work with. However due to having a young looking face and the build of a skinny 18/19 year old, when people have asked how old I am I've said 21 and they believe me. The only person who knows my actual age is the HR lady as she has my information on file. I just feel a lot more comfortable saying that I'm this age then my actual (27). When I tell people my actual age they can immediately tell I'm a **** up and probably find it weird that I'm so underdeveloped physically. Saying I'm in my early twenties though makes people think I'm at a decent career stage for my age and that I actually look my normal for my age. Does anyone else here like to people about their age to make themselves feel better and less anxious?
I get asked my age frequently by strangers at work because I look very young. I used to tell people my real age but was met with the most annoying reactions (ranging from humiliating laughter to very obvious pity) so now I take a couple of years off. Not that it makes much difference. I still get a lot of judgment about working such a ****ty job and living with my parents. I wish I was brave enough to say "that's none of your business" when people ask, but I'm not. I do feel guilty about lying but then I think why should I when they are the ones being rude by asking in the first place.

I don't bother lying to my co-workers about my age, though with the newer ones I just avoid the topic altogether. When I had my birthday this year, someone found out somehow so of course they asked the dreaded question. When I told them, they thought I was joking. That sort of thing really doesn't do much for my confidence.

Mc Borg is an emoji thief.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
A lot of people assume I'm underage (15-17~ I think,) but the last time I went out I got asked for a cigarette multiple times so... I was wearing a hat when it happened though. They probably didn't get a good look at my face.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't lie about my age but people are surprised when they find out my actual age. I'm 32 and got asked for ID 3 times last year. One lady really scrutinized my ID and I'm sure she thought it was a fake lol
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Flirty
It's not something that I've ever felt the need to lie about, if people ask I'll tell them. Usually they are very surprised though then when they find out my real age, as I look a lot younger than I am. Plus when you are quiet I think that gives off a young image also. I'm now in my 30's and even now I frequently still get asked for ID when buying alcohol. I went to college the other year and several people seemed flabbergasted when they found out my age, I was chatting to some people on the course who were just out of school 16 /17 and one of them asked how old I was, when I replied they exclaimed my God, I didn't think you were THAT old! I had the same in a maths class we had to do, the tutor didn't seem particularly old, perhaps late 20's early 30's, and when I was chatting to him and mentioned that I hadn't done maths in 18 years, he looked quite taken aback, I think he thought I was a school leaver, I was probably older than him!

My Neck, My Back, My Anxiety Attacks
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 AM
SAS Member

I try to avoid telling people my age as much as possible. With coworkers I can't really lie coz they will find out eventually. Some know so it is not like I can lie to others. But with people I will never see again I usually lie and revise my age down about 5 years. I have the same problem as you OP, I am behind in life coz of SA and I also look young, both in the face and coz my height and build is so small. People think I am around 20yo I think even though I'm close to 30... the older I get the less I mind, I mean I can't help it and I am starting to appreciate it, after hating it my whole life.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:49 AM
SAS Member

Sure, I always add a decade or two because I like it when people say "wow, you look great for that age!"

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory, my chains are broken.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 PM
dead

My Mood: Dead
I say I'm 25 but I'm actually 25 1/2. But I've lied alot in the past about my age. Alot of times I pretended I was younger to people for my own thrills. It even felt good to have tricked or manipulated the persons.
I started puberty early so ALOT of people mistook me for much older. I was 14 when I bought a large knife. You have to be 18, of course.

There where times I forgot my own age because I lied so much. I was asked by a cashier how old I was and I said I didn't know. It was the truth.

I dislike being 25 and still get asked for ID. When sometimes the guy asking for it is younger than me.
A woman collecting for prostrate cancer said I looked very young and asked my age. And yet she looked the same age.

I'm too ugly to be seen as young.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

I just turned 26 yesterday but supposedly I look a lot younger, at least that's what I'm told. I hate telling people my age though....especially since I have nothing to show for it. Still live with my parents, fear of driving, crappy retail job. So, It's embarrassing to tell people my age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth."

"Life is a temporary journey we just have to deal with"
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Pandora’s Birthright

My Mood: Pensive
No, i don't think i ever have, probably won't until after i'm 35.

Everyone who guesses my age is wrong, anyway :/ Either higher or younger. It's been like this for years.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and stars; you have a right to be here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page