Do you ever feel like you annoy everyone? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you ever feel like you annoy everyone?

As I think back on my life, there was always a time where I was annoying at least one of my friends.

Soon, I started to get the feeling that I was annoying everyone around me, so I got into the habit of speaking as little as possible when going out in public. I only speak when spoken to, which causes people to think I'm weird because I don't talk much.

I hate feeling like I'm the annoying one, but I still hardly ever voice my opinion unless someone asks first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
SAS Member

You know, I think most people feel this way. I just don't really care if I'm annoying anyone.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

I just joined this site ten minutes ago and I can already find a topic that i can relate to. Yes i do feel that when i am speaking to someone i am annoying them. Its terrible because i have to speak to new people everyday at my job. People always seem to cut me off when I am talking or just ignore me all together.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Little Winged One

My Mood: Angelic
Yes! I got that feeling again today trying to talk to a mechanic about what the heck is wrong with my car! I felt that I came across very hoity-toity and annoying -but the guy was being dismissive and glossing over his shops incompetence. I just care less and less if I do annoy people-they annoy me most of the time too!

-Work on Forgetting the Self-

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Same, i've been Tryin talk less. That way I don't annoy as many people
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
SAS Member

I definitely feel this way. I highly doubt that it is true that you annoy everyone, even if you feel that way. I think for some people it just doesn't occur to them that they might be annoying to others, so they just go ahead and do whatever they like. We're cursed with caring too much what other people think. Maybe if you feel like you're being annoying, ask yourself if you are doing anything that is actually wrong, and probably you are not, so try not to worry about it.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
SAS Member

I've thought that for the longest time. Doesn't matter whether I'm talking with someone face-to-face, on the phone, through texting, or in some form on the Internet - I always think nobody cares about what I have to say. If I try to remedy that by remaining silent and keeping to myself, I still figure I'm somehow doing something wrong.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Little Winged One

I just decided a looooong time ago - I'm not going to live some partial life - in most situations I speak up -

-Work on Forgetting the Self-

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Yes...this has been a large part of me becoming as shy and reclusive as I now am. I'd rather be painfully lonely than bother or bore anybody, which seems to be all I'm really good at, most of the time.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Yes...this has been a large part of me becoming as shy and reclusive as I now am. I'd rather be painfully lonely than bother or bore anybody, which seems to be all I'm really good at, most of the time.
Exactly this, yeah. I pulled back hard from my friends awhile ago, stopping keeping an online journal, stopping IMing, etc., because nothing I say is relevant or interesting. I can never figure out what to say. I'd just rather not talk at all than continue to say stupid, boring things.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 AM
SAS Member

Yes, hell even in impersonal situations. I feel that way if Im just standing in line at the grocery store.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Guided By Voices

Yeah, even within my own family, which consists of my mother and little sister. I am basically treated as a second class citizen. The failure, who exaggerates his mental illnesses and has been a disappointment and burden to all involved. My mother doesn't return my calls for days and she doesn't spend anytime with me in my house, just talking. I have been thinking about this alot in the last two days. It really makes me want to shut down and build a wall. When every time I talk, all I hear is irritation in her voice.

I realize that I have not been the son that she always wanted. I haven't lived up to her standards. And she does not understand the extent of GAD and SAD and agoraphobia. She just can't grasp it. She can't wrap her brain around how bad it can be. She has no compassion for mental disorders. especially when it's her only son. And at the same time, growing up with my father and some of the other men she choose as mates. They really left some mental scars. i don't like to wallow in my own sorrows and play the victim role

I know, I have made a lot of poor choices growing up and she did also. I look at it as mistakes made on both sides. But to be treated like a failure,to hear it in her voice. to see that in her face, to be the black sheep boy in this family. It makes me sad, worthless to a point and it also makes me angry.

Okay sorry,I'm done venting!!!

- The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order.
- There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.- Leonard Cohen
- The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.- Ernest Hemingway
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Not as I am, but if I were less quiet I'm afraid I would be annoying. My sister liked to tell me I was as a kid pretty much every time I spoke.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Permanently Banned

That's exactly how i feel also.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

Yes, I feel this way. It really bothers me because I feel like I can say the exact same thing as someone else and the two of us will get completely different reactions from the same people.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Joe
Permanently Banned

Yeah basically all the time lol
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTFMovie View Post
As I think back on my life, there was always a time where I was annoying at least one of my friends.

Soon, I started to get the feeling that I was annoying everyone around me, so I got into the habit of speaking as little as possible when going out in public. I only speak when spoken to, which causes people to think I'm weird because I don't talk much.

I hate feeling like I'm the annoying one, but I still hardly ever voice my opinion unless someone asks first.
Yeah I have the same problem. Well sort of.
I tend to get a bit passionate about things so when I'm in a discussion about something controversial, like abortion for example, I have to really check myself because I tend to go over the top about things. I annoy people because I don't let them get there side across. I've realised what I do now, so I really try to let them speak.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
SAS Member

I think I do...
I started to hate being around people, because I constantly feel uncomfortable because the whole time I'm with someone I always think that my appearance and behavior just annoys them. I always feel unwanted I dunno if it's true tho...
I might be insane.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Hurts to smile

maybe... but I don't care.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

Yes, lol. Either annoying or like I'm just boring people. Also, I feel like my inability to act natural makes people uncomfortable or annoyed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page