Do u hide your emotions? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do u hide your emotions?

Hey guys, so I'm actually a very emotional person but many dont know it because I keep most of my emotions to myself. I dont show them because in the past I have opened up to people and they didnt understand my depression. They felt it was a sign of weakness. One even said they didnt like kids these days. So after several bad incidents I dont really tell people what I am thinking or how I really feel about them. Even if someone pissed me off I will still smile in their face and pretend everything is alright or I'll give you the silent treatment (depends on how angry u make me). Also conflict of any kind makes me nervous even when it has nothing to do with me. I just dont like negativity. It makes me sad and it makes me feel like no one in the world is good. I also sometimes wish others had more compassion. For instance, you probably might disagree with me, but while I beleive there is legit criticisms of political correctness, I also feel like it is wrong to say everything that comes to your mind. But then again,these are just my ideals. They might not be everyone else's ideals. My hatred of conflict and wanting to help people who are hurting instead of telling them to get over it, might have to do with my Myers briggs personality type. I am infp or the peacemaker. Anyway, can anyone else relate....😞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:29 PM
bipolar

I hide them all the time - for the same reason as you, because people see it as a sign of weakness. Nothing has changed in that regard - even if people are supposedly talking about their mental health nowadays more. I have to trust someone before I let them see what I'm really like - although when I'm manic not so much, largely because I don't always have a lot of say in the matter.

That might be the same personality thing as me - but I can't remember. I'm a lot like that too. I can get incredibly angry but I've never actually hurt anyone (not physically). I probably would if I ever really had to though - but knowing me I'd probably feel sorry for them after a while. Very annoying.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:32 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Y

DO YOu + YOU +YOU + YOU & YOU & YOU ALWAYS ALWAYS just start with "DO YOU"?? ?? MORE & MORE & MORE? AND EVERYONE ELSE DOES?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I think I feel with a lot of intensity, but I can't understand or communicate my emotions well to others do to a combination of emotional suppression, distrust, and terrible communication skills. I feel a disconnect with the things I feel and how to verbalize them. I have had people see me as both calm or cold before because of my lack of emotional expression. I can feel strangely self conscious when I express my feelings, and I cope with my own emotional intensity by doing everything I can to shut myself down, though not necessarily consciously.

Life's Wack
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:16 AM
Permanently Banned

there are different styles of "emotion hiding" , much the same as everyone has their own version of SA.

people SHOULD hide their emotions, otherwise there'd be screaming matches and fist fights everywhere, all the time.

i often feel like screaming at coworkers and people in public, which i obviously don't because it's uncivilised and destructive (funny, because the stuff that angers me, is behavior that's uncivilised and destructive).

for example, it's ok to tell someone you disagree with them, but on the inside you might feel like you want to insult them, yell at them or even slap them in the face.

many people are incredibly dumb and it makes me want to laugh in their faces and explain to them how utterly idiotic they are, but i don't.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
A lot, I have never been able to show my emotions well enough , now being a grown *** adult it has become even difficult. I have pent up anger, pent up sadness that some day I feel am gonna burst

Scared, Depressed, anxious and kind off traumatized person
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
i get aggressive & violent. I wish that could be strong and inflict death to those who've damaged me.

life control lost. all other losses... material but morally employment & friendship. most recent example: geared up and prepared for most almighty narcissism stuff: about retail, groceries! assuming i a thief! ALWAYS? ALL PEOPLE ALWAYS default to that status? must earn innocence strictly?
what's in the bag??? all my snooping mini marts i hate to be, for particular region for other purpose. see what's worthy of purchase? walk out empty-handed. other staff swarm to me! i thru sliding glass doors. one grabs my bag handle (briefcase) i manage all four-limb physical effort to win it back & escape, proud.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:44 AM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
I try not to lately.
Most of the time I don't even feel them or they're very weak and ingenuine because I learned to dissociate since my childhood (not complete dissociation like in case with DID where you have amnesia-like state all the time, but like something many more people have) but that's not what you meant, right? So it's a different topic...

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
I try not to lately.
Most of the time I don't even feel them or they're very weak and ingenuine because I learned to dissociate since my childhood (not complete dissociation like in case with DID where you have amnesia-like state all the time, but like something many more people have) but that's not what you meant, right? So it's a different topic...
When you say u disassociate, do u mean something like maladaptive daydreaming. That is the form of disassociation I usually do. The best definition of maladaptive day dreaming I can give in my own words is when u make up stories in your head with it's own cast of characters.....
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Sort of the opposite? I tend not to express most emotions irl especially positive ones, but that just seems to be how I am (a bit autistic/schizoid.) This isn't really a concious thing though, it's like I feel things a lot more strongly in my head sometimes (although at other times I don't,) but there's a disconnect.

The worst is when people expect a certain reaction from me or enthusiasm/excitement or something and I'm just like opening presents in front of others is awkward.

A bunch of times my mum has told me something and I haven't reacted in the way she was looking for, and so it bothered her.

And when you look moody/anxious everyone wants you to cheer up.

edit: I think wanting to help everyone is more an ENFP stereotype, the INFP stereotype is like an idealistic daydreamer who writes stories and lives in their head or apparently every musician who kills himself. (Or sometimes gets shot.) I guess neither are supposed to like conflict though.

The types as music genres:

1. INFP - emo/grunge/postpunk

(too lazy to continue you know someone's done this though.)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitegalaxycat View Post
When you say u disassociate, do u mean something like maladaptive daydreaming. That is the form of disassociation I usually do. The best definition of maladaptive day dreaming I can give in my own words is when u make up stories in your head with it's own cast of characters.....
I didn't mean that, but I have that too. Although in psychoanalysis it's just another defense mechanism. Schizoid people use it the most (don't know how much other people use it or if they use it at all) and it's a key schizoid trait/defense. It's also dissociation, but in my post I meant dissociation from my emotional memory, dissociation from my emotional self and stuff like that. It's probably therapy that helps me to get more in touch with them during some moments and not to devaluate my feelings (or maybe devaluate them less cause I still do sometimes) because they're ''mirrored'' and validated in therapy. And I think I stopped caring about what people think of me and that they dislike me (both things still make me anxious though). Although that doesn't mean that I just show the real me all the time or that I'm super open.

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I have to or people will weaponize it against me
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 AM
The Loser

Language: English, Dutch
My Mood: Tired
I always hide them, no matter what. The moment I show them to my family, they get used against me. And even if I wanted to, I got a hard time showing emotions because they're locked away for a very long time already, plus I never learned to express them really.

"Like a book isolated on a shelf with no one to read it yet judge it for its amount of pages. I feel such way."

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive."
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Don
Fupa King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post

The worst is when people expect a certain reaction from me or enthusiasm/excitement or something and I'm just like :-) opening presents in front of others is awkward.

A bunch of times my mum has told me something and I haven't reacted in the way she was looking for, and so it bothered her.

And when you look moody/anxious everyone wants you to cheer up.
I think we share this in common Persephone.

I've been asked by family why I'm not enthusiastic about anything. I don't think I have the same capacity to fully feel and express positive emotions as they do. For me, I see it as perpetual burnout from constant anxiety and depression over the years. I don't have the same emotional resources as most people. I don't get that excited by most things. I wish I did though, as it would save me from a lot social shame and frustration with myself.

Life's Wack
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:39 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I think we share this in common Persephone.

I've been asked by family why I'm not enthusiastic about anything. I don't think I have the same capacity to fully feel and express positive emotions as they do. For me, I see it as perpetual burnout from constant anxiety and depression over the years. I don't have the same emotional resources as most people. I don't get that excited by most things. I wish I did though, as it would save me from a lot social shame and frustration with myself.
I think I was a lot more excitable as a young child tbh both internally and probably externally. The external expression became less with age.

It's definitely less often that I feel strong positive emotions now too, or get excited about things. It's gotten worse throughout my twenties where as before I probably felt certain emotions internally more strongly, even if I didn't express them to people that often.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM
SAS Member

I bury my emotions so much that sometimes I'll feel as if I have none, I'll experience a period of comfortable numbness, and I only wish I could prolong these experiences.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Pariah on Autopilot

Language: Fleeing
My Mood: Pensive
Yes, I do. Both positive and negative ones.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:22 PM
SAS Member

I do online sure. But in person it's usually pretty easy to tell how I'm feeling. It's written on my face.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveykinkle View Post
I bury my emotions so much that sometimes I'll feel as if I have none, I'll experience a period of comfortable numbness, and I only wish I could prolong these experiences.
GABAergics
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page