do some people just piss u off before they speak just there face annoys u - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
England

do some people just piss u off before they speak just there face annoys u

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 PM
SAS Member

Ted Cruz
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I can't remember this happening it probably has but not often. I'm very easily annoyed but it's stuff people say.

edit: I read something about this a while back though not sure this link is the thing I read but it's talking about the same thing:

edit again pretty sure this was the link I read before:

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/we...-b460e544d3ee/

Quote:
“There are physical configurations of a face that, just by their structural features at rest, look more trustworthy or not,” said Barrett. “The general rule is: The more angular a face is, the more it looks like a grown-up face. The more you will experience that person as dominant and in control. The more that people have rounded features, like a baby face, the more you experience that person as submissive, in need of help, not quite responsible for their own behavior.”
https://www.mic.com/articles/135809/...punchable-face

Quote:
Many of Shkreli's facial features, such as his large, round eyes, the short distance between his brow and mouth, and his high eyebrows and a round face, are markers of what social psychologists call "babyface." Psychologists Leslie Zebrowitz and Susan McDonald, analyzed public perceptions of "babyfacedness" in a 1991 study that found that people with babyfaces (i.e. round and delicate features), are likely to be treated as warm and naive, and are also more likely to win cases in small claims court, because people view them as innocent.

But how does that explain the apparently nationwide consensus that Shkreli is among the most punchable men in America? Well, according to Hehman, who studies facial cues and social evaluations, babyfaces are perceived as innocent "except when it is clear the person did the crime on purpose, as in the case of Shkreli. ... Then people have a really strong reaction, seeing this innocent-looking person doing something so incongruous with their appearance."

"I don't know many people who want to punch a baby," Barrett told Mic. "That being said, we might speculate that it leads people to perceive [people with babyfaces] as more immature, which might be a factor in seeing them as punchable."

"My guess would be 'punchable faces' are ones that are low on both these dimensions, so not particularly strong- or competent-seeming, and not looking very trustworthy," Hehman said.

According to Hehman, from a morphological standpoint, Shkreli's mocking and baby-like face would be perceived as both untrustworthy and incompetent. Similarly, Cruz's facial features, such as his close-set eyes and soft chin, read as less dominant to us, so we may initially process his face as weaker.

As Cytowic pointed out, Cruz also exhibits a tell-tale off-putting fake smile: the presence of a voluntary upturned mouth, but no involuntary muscle movement around his eyes. Since we view Cruz as a candidate in a presidential election, his weaker face and seemingly fake smile seem incongruous with the position he is seeking. Thus, we might decide he is in need of a knuckle sandwich.
Lol edited this post many times trying to find parts to quote that were more thorough and really it's just common sense isn't it? Everyone knows that people are judged based on appearance.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Gangsta Crayon

Nope. Not if I don't know them or their personality.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10145 View Post
I hope my face doesn't make you feel that way.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Leo DiCaprio. Something about that smug ******* pisses me off.

Idk if my face pisses people off, but most people seem to have an immediate negative reaction to me IRL. About the only people who don't seem to are homeless people. I have to spend a lot of time talking to someone before they start warming up. Always been that way.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 11:56 PM
SAS Member

Trump.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 12:21 AM
F0rum Pothole

Thought I was the only one, until I realize most relates to this, when the Punchable Face meme came up. I find some people, especially their eyes, they give off that shifty shady aura. Like they are scheming to do something bad against you in the back of their mind.

That MAGA teen to me has the facial features of that example. His eyes and facial expressions always bothers me. Like someone I cannot trust the instant I look at him.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:51 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Original question; no. Not really.

It's interesting to note that women's eyebrows are naturally situated much higher in on the brow arch than men's. Men's eyebrows are much lower set and this is supposed to signify dominance and authority. This is supposed to be a trait women find subconsciously attractive in men's faces.

Women's eyebrows being set much higher are supposedly to suggest submissiveness and compliance. Almost a baby face sort of idea. This is supposedly a trait that men find subconsciously attractive in woman's faces.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 01:44 AM
bipolar

Very often.

If I'm in the wrong sort of mood I could happily smash my TV just by seeing someone on it or throw the radio against the wall just by someone's voice.

It's a lot better if I take my medication though.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:07 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
That MAGA teen to me has the facial features of that example. His eyes and facial expressions always bothers me. Like someone I cannot trust the instant I look at him.
Sure it's not the cap though?

To answer the thread question: no. When I do get a bad feel, it's usually to do with the things they're wearing rather than their face.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:55 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Not sure I could hold someone else responsible for my feelings towards them if they haven't even interacted with me, so no.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 05:31 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Not pissed of immediately, but I can usually tell who's gonna rub me up the wrong way, we're not gonna be on the same page etc

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 05:36 AM
SAS Member

Not really.

But it happens to me a lot. I can see people already dismissing me when they see me and then introduced to me.

They are okay with me later when they realise that I'm a decent and funny person.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
I'll stay out of this one !!

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:35 AM
F0rum Pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Sure it's not the cap though?

Nope. Same opinion even without the cap. He just has those eyes where I personally find the typical "scheming" people have. Like they're just scheming something bad constantly on in their mind. Probably just me though.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:56 AM
😀

My colleague at work
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 05:42 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Not sure I could hold someone else responsible for my feelings towards them if they haven't even interacted with me, so no.
This is how I feel. People have to do things specifically to annoy me and it's never due to how their face looks.

I think that if people do this "they have an intrinsically annoying face and I feel like I could punch them " and it's based on only how that person's looks, .and they've never even interacted with that person, i feel like the person that has the aggression may just be doing the psychological defence mechanism of displacement or projection upon the other person. The aggressor has almost arbitrarily chosen this person to direct emotional aggression at for no reason other than how they look. "They have a face id like to punch". Why? Where is that hostility for someone you don't know coming from?

The face of the kid above looks like a normal, non-threarening face. Nothing about that pic makes me want to whack him.

It's like people on here commonly assume people automatically hate them and they've never even spoken to them. It just comes from low self esteem. I think the person doesn't like themselves and they think other people automatically don't as well.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
This is how I feel. People have to do things specifically to annoy me and it's never due to how their face looks.

I think that if people do this "they have an intrinsically annoying face and I feel like I could punch them " and it's based on only how that person's looks, .and they've never even interacted with that person, i feel like the person that has the aggression may just be doing the psychological defence mechanism of displacement or projection upon the other person. The aggressor has almost arbitrarily chosen this person to direct emotional aggression at for no reason other than how they look. "They have a face id like to punch". Why? Where is that hostility for someone you don't know coming from?

The face of the kid above looks like a normal, non-threarening face. Nothing about that pic makes me want to whack him.

It's like people on here commonly assume people automatically hate them and they've never even spoken to them. It just comes from low self esteem. I think the person doesn't like themselves and they think other people automatically don't as well.
It's an interesting one isn't it?

I think we all tend to react to appearance, in various ways, an attractive person has an effect on us, an unattractive person has a different effect, some people may remind us of people we don't like, or may look like a villain in a tv show, or might have an unfortunate natural expression that leads to a certain feeling.

We do this automatically, and its unavoidable.

But what is avoidable is running with it and actually thinking someone deserves any kind of hostility based on initial appearance. To do so reveals a lot. To think that someone else has *caused* anger within us by the way they look, and attribute the blame for that feeling to them reveals a lot.

Not least, such an individual should be aware that if they feel this, then others may also feel this, and if they walk around being angered by mere appearance, then they will likely present hostile body language, which will result in others making negative snap judgements about them.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Andrew Scheer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page