defamation - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
People knew I was "crazy".

Now, I'm not, and they are quite ashamed of themselves!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Social experimenter

My Mood: Doubtful
@TwomblyDan , unfortunately I literally see people using inane things like this loudly against you. I would never support such dirty and misleading tactics. Such people don't deserve any support.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:52 AM
The real peter pan

Think the whole thing of there been another group of people here who were making fun of other peoples pictures, maybe put a downer on it. It did make it seem as though theres a group of normal people who are making fun of people who are not the same as others, it is kind of low shot to make fun of people who don't have a social life. I've had this happen to me years ago on the internet, people who I was chatting became aware that I was different from other people, you suddenly get people phoning you up, it was asking how old I was then laughing down the phone, they were laughing at me not been like other people, over what they get out of it I don't know.

Everyone dose go on today about people been open, its ok for celebrities to be open about their mental health problems because they've got loads of people round them, noones going to take advantage of them, there never going to sat there on a website with no followers. I would love to be on a website and be open about this, but if you do, your kind of just opening back door open.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:39 PM
SAS Member

There are actually a lot of people on this site who sign on and mention that they have a social life and don't show any signs of anxiety. it is actually kind of sickening. I am not saying it is all the time and it is done in a very subtle way, but it happens. My real problem with it is it is a social anxiety site and if you are dating women or have a girlfriend and post things like, "I am sad because my girlfriend gave me a dirty look" All that is really is a way to say to people on here with real problems, "look at me! I have everything you don't have, and i will post about how i like animal crackers instead of any real problems." It is subtle but more common than you would think. I am not singling anyone out but it is like, if you don't at least have minor issues, what are you even doing posting here anyway???? I don't need to hear you post about the weather or how you had 3 dates lined up this week and are juggling women and your girlfriend is awesome. And it could also be women posting that their boyfriend is cool and life is good, so it is men and women. i am not talking about any specific person, but it is annoying to say the least
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:44 PM
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
Do you worry about being on this site and being associated as a 'crazy person'? I have been on this site for very long just for little things but people would call me a crazy person if they found out I'm on it, even though I have no diagnosis no meds nothing severe.
How would people find out? They won't so don't worry about it.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:20 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheveled and Lost View Post
There are actually a lot of people on this site who sign on and mention that they have a social life and don't show any signs of anxiety. it is actually kind of sickening. I am not saying it is all the time and it is done in a very subtle way, but it happens. My real problem with it is it is a social anxiety site and if you are dating women or have a girlfriend and post things like, "I am sad because my girlfriend gave me a dirty look" All that is really is a way to say to people on here with real problems, "look at me! I have everything you don't have, and i will post about how i like animal crackers instead of any real problems." It is subtle but more common than you would think. I am not singling anyone out but it is like, if you don't at least have minor issues, what are you even doing posting here anyway???? I don't need to hear you post about the weather or how you had 3 dates lined up this week and are juggling women and your girlfriend is awesome. And it could also be women posting that their boyfriend is cool and life is good, so it is men and women. i am not talking about any specific person, but it is annoying to say the least
I wouldn't say a lot but there are definitely oblivious people (sometimes trolls too,) who use this site to brag. It doesn't necessarily bother me either until they start complaining about how the social norm of this site doesn't fit their lifestyle. 'People are too negative' 'why are so many people complaining' etc. Because that's on them for being in the wrong environment when they should have moved on.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:58 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
To me, this site has a bit of a country club feel to it now. There are some very highly functioning people here(which is good for them obviously) but seems like there is more jobs/money talk than anything else some days.
There are times it's easy to forget this is even a social anxiety forum.
I mean we all have different struggles obviously but it seems as though the baseline has been raised a bit in recent years as to what is acceptable struggles.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
I mean we all have different struggles obviously but it seems as though the baseline has been raised a bit in recent years as to what is acceptable struggles.
How so? Can you give an example
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 10:48 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
How so? Can you give an example
Well in the past it wasn't so uncommon for people to come here and say "I can't leave my house/haven't left my house in x amount of years."
Or even bring up other mental issues.
Don't see much of that anymore. Sometimes they pop up but they don't seem to stick around too long.
Used to be a more diverse crowd with highly functional people and very dysfunctional people.
The dysfunctional people have either been banned or left.
Now it seems like at the very least a person should be able to function in society in order to fit in here. A baseline.
Which is kind of weird being this is a site for people with a mental illness.

Just my take. I've been saying it for a couple years now.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Well in the past it wasn't so uncommon for people to come here and say "I can't leave my house/haven't left my house in x amount of years."
Don't see much of that anymore. Sometimes they pop up but they don't seem to stick around too long.
Used to be a more diverse crowd with highly functional people and very dysfunctional people.
Now it seems like at the very least a person should be able to function in society in order to fit in here. A baseline.

It's still the same (ratio wise obviously there are a lot less people here now generally,) just not acceptable to talk about it and nobody does.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
It's still the same (ratio wise obviously there are a lot less people here now generally,) just not acceptable to talk about it and nobody does.
It's true, they don't. Things have really changed.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
The forum at one point, was more or less people pushing one another in to desperation. It felt at times, people were coming here in an attempt to drive people off the deep end and toward suicide. I also remember a point in time, where women were blamed for all of the ills of the world. At one point, I remember being an honorary white knight, due to daring to say things like women are not carbon clones of one another. There was a lot more arguing back then, which made it more active. I think most of those people left for other sites, with people that agree with them.

I think you can find a lot of these sort of people on yahoo news comment section.

I have no clue what this forum was like before I joined, if it had always been like that, or if it built up to that point and I joined in the midst of it.

As far as people finding out I'm on this site, I don't know people outside of my family. They all know I'm socially awkward, very introverted, a homebody, and tend to overthink things anyway. I don't mind sharing pictures, and my life, in part, due to that.. also because I think I'm fairly irrelevant. My immediate family know I'm on this site a lot, and sometimes even watch as I type things out.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:21 PM
experimental sincerity

@Disheveled and Lost and to some degree @Persephone The Dread

That's called diversity and you will encounter that wherever you go, this forum included. I'm not talking about people who deliberately brag to make someone else feel worse. But there will be people with varying degrees and types of anxiety, as well as people who had anxiety and got better, but still benefit from support (why so many ex-drinkers on r/stopdrinking? well....) or have made friends/acquaintances here that they don't want to stop talking to. The forum is no one's personal fiefdom, and no one gets to pass judgement on the mental health of others. Equally, I sometimes think 'what is this bigoted ******* doing on this forum, they should be blocked', but it's not my call. The general rule is that of self-referral: don't deliberately hurt other people and you're in. We can't get into each other's heads or hearts.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:29 PM
'functioning' psycho

@rabidfoxes

I don't think what you're saying really relates to my post at all but OK.

I've found certain attitudes of some people who are doing better on this site and expect everyone to be on their level and if they express any dissatisfaction or alternative viewpoint they're smugly looked down on, pretty annoying. Especially when some of them have never had to deal with some of the problems other people are going through. I'm not talking about everyone who is higher functioning...

It isn't just on this site tbh, it's everywhere.

Edit: I mean there are limited places outcasts can actually go even online now, like there's 4chan I guess. It's not for me for the most part though I respect some things they've done to freak out the establishment (not that it's hard to do that especially in the US it seems lol.)

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
Do you worry about being on this site and being associated as a 'crazy person'? I have been on this site for very long just for little things but people would call me a crazy person if they found out I'm on it, even though I have no diagnosis no meds nothing severe.
I'm so anxious it's making me paranoid of certain, shady looking individuals who would maybe try to harm me.
Every time I see such a person I put my hands in my pockets and keep track of them just to be cautious. Some notice that and look at me.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Social experimenter

My Mood: Doubtful
Quote:

Idk, I understand some of the comments definitely make you wonder whether these people have ever experienced a panic attack in a social setting or been held back by it. But you can't judge who does and doesn't have social anxiety just on a whim and out of context over an online forum. Having said that, this place definitely feels a little unsympathetic sometimes.

@Persephone The Dread , unfortunately I am only on this site when I'm doing worse.

@TheCourier1991 , you could be right. But maybe you lack perspective on what exactly is going on.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I wouldn't say a lot but there are definitely oblivious people (sometimes trolls too,) who use this site to brag. It doesn't necessarily bother me either until they start complaining about how the social norm of this site doesn't fit their lifestyle. 'People are too negative' 'why are so many people complaining' etc. Because that's on them for being in the wrong environment when they should have moved on.
Yes, I don't mean a lot, just if you spread out all the posts over a longer period of time, it is more than you would imagine.

I don't think there are a ton of people blatantly out-and-out bragging, that is very rare, I think it is more people bragging under the surface.

For example, someone creates a topic (this is just off the top of my head): "I have been having a hard time because my boyfriend/girlfriend gave me a dirty look and snapped at me" So basically, they are crowbar-ing into the post that they have a significant other, and then adding the minor hiccup of a problem, AFTER posting proudly that they have a wife/husband or whatever.

Or someone creates a topic who is in a random crisis and X poster will say, "I had the same problem, but my wife/husband gave me some great advice, and now I am all set. Just a lot of mentioning that someone has someone in their life, but not really contributing much else to anyone's posts or creating posts about nothing that serious compared to other people in a major crisis.

If you google "single and lonely" and find message boards, every other post is, "I did give up and was alone, and when i gave up, they found me." That is the most sickening message I have ever heard and you run into that line CONSTANTLY if you ever look at any boards about dating advice. All that is saying i think is, "I am with someone" and i wasn't even trying and they stumbled in my lap and now i am complete. It is also a lazy response because everyone uses that. Love and relationships are so much more complex than "they found me."

The overly positive trivial posts like, "I can't find any good movies to watch" =0(> or "I can't find any new video games and it made me sad" with some dumb emoji are the most maddeningly enfuriating to read. It is like, God, there has to be something more relevant in your life you want to share. If I was going to post things like that, I may as well throw my computer out the window. I would rather hear a post from a raving lunatic about how they think Martians will invade earth or that they are the second coming of Christ, because at least it is a unique message that is not generic.

The most hilarious posts are by ex- social anxiety sufferers who come back on years later and proclaim that they are cured. I mean it is literally hilarious. They may as well be saying, "I made it to the top of the mountain, I tried hard and prevailed. You can too if you give it your all. I was once like you sufferers and now I have built a life that you all wish you could" I mean I agree that you can take steps to improve but you do run into posts like that on this site. It always reeks of Tony Little the inspirational workout nut on the infomercials. In life you can't fully cure yourself of anything, in a way, because everything is a process, you know?
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
@Disheveled and Lost and to some degree @Persephone The Dread

That's called diversity and you will encounter that wherever you go, this forum included. I'm not talking about people who deliberately brag to make someone else feel worse. But there will be people with varying degrees and types of anxiety, as well as people who had anxiety and got better, but still benefit from support (why so many ex-drinkers on r/stopdrinking? well....) or have made friends/acquaintances here that they don't want to stop talking to. The forum is no one's personal fiefdom, and no one gets to pass judgement on the mental health of others. Equally, I sometimes think 'what is this bigoted ******* doing on this forum, they should be blocked', but it's not my call. The general rule is that of self-referral: don't deliberately hurt other people and you're in. We can't get into each other's heads or hearts.
Yea, I think it is funny on all the different sites, the people who get banned are often the people you least expect to, or often seem least deserving. On different sites, sometimes a ton of horrific insulting comments are not censored, but then a member is banned for just their tone being deemed too critical or something. That I think goes for all walks of life. The punishment does not always fit the crime. It is like 2 cops could see the same crime, but one decides it isn't worth pursuing it and walks away, and the other cop throws the guy in jail. Life is just not fair, so much luck and chance involved. My issue is really with people who brag under the surface. I almost can respect on SOME LEVEL a person who brags outwardly and in a straight-forward way because at least they aren't clouding the point with nonsense and are being direct. What I really can't take is poster after poster mentioning "my girlfriend" this or "my boyfriend" that and my wife this and my husband that, often when it isn't relevant to the topic. Or posting, "I was having a rough week, I am just glad my boyfriend/girlfriend were there to support me" Uggh Or, "I have been with my wife/husband for X number of years" Sometimes it is integral to the discussion to mention you are with someone, but not always. Remember there are a lot of lonely people on this site who don't want to hear all that, seriously
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
People around me know I am on here.
The sad part is I get more defamation here than in real life!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 03:49 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheveled and Lost View Post
Yes, I don't mean a lot, just if you spread out all the posts over a longer period of time, it is more than you would imagine.

I don't think there are a ton of people blatantly out-and-out bragging, that is very rare, I think it is more people bragging under the surface.

For example, someone creates a topic (this is just off the top of my head): "I have been having a hard time because my boyfriend/girlfriend gave me a dirty look and snapped at me" So basically, they are crowbar-ing into the post that they have a significant other, and then adding the minor hiccup of a problem, AFTER posting proudly that they have a wife/husband or whatever.

Or someone creates a topic who is in a random crisis and X poster will say, "I had the same problem, but my wife/husband gave me some great advice, and now I am all set. Just a lot of mentioning that someone has someone in their life, but not really contributing much else to anyone's posts or creating posts about nothing that serious compared to other people in a major crisis.

If you google "single and lonely" and find message boards, every other post is, "I did give up and was alone, and when i gave up, they found me." That is the most sickening message I have ever heard and you run into that line CONSTANTLY if you ever look at any boards about dating advice. All that is saying i think is, "I am with someone" and i wasn't even trying and they stumbled in my lap and now i am complete. It is also a lazy response because everyone uses that. Love and relationships are so much more complex than "they found me."

The overly positive trivial posts like, "I can't find any good movies to watch" =0(> or "I can't find any new video games and it made me sad" with some dumb emoji are the most maddeningly enfuriating to read. It is like, God, there has to be something more relevant in your life you want to share. If I was going to post things like that, I may as well throw my computer out the window. I would rather hear a post from a raving lunatic about how they think Martians will invade earth or that they are the second coming of Christ, because at least it is a unique message that is not generic.

The most hilarious posts are by ex- social anxiety sufferers who come back on years later and proclaim that they are cured. I mean it is literally hilarious. They may as well be saying, "I made it to the top of the mountain, I tried hard and prevailed. You can too if you give it your all. I was once like you sufferers and now I have built a life that you all wish you could" I mean I agree that you can take steps to improve but you do run into posts like that on this site. It always reeks of Tony Little the inspirational workout nut on the infomercials. In life you can't fully cure yourself of anything, in a way, because everything is a process, you know?
Can't speak for other sites but I don't think people really feel comfortable venting here about anything that big, well most people don't anyway. So posting about generic stuff becomes more comfortable/safe if you don't want to go into detail about your life.

I think part of the reason is that sometimes those people who come back here are probably not legit posters. They usually have made a new account and there have been a lot of people who sign up here to push certain meds, or their video series or whatever. Pretty much selling something.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings