Cultural Appropriation - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Cultural Appropriation

Hey guys, so I'm not really angry about anything but just looking for a little guidance. So I'm very close to my dad and sister and the three of us hang out all the time. I kind of wanted to get a tattoo of something that can represent the 3 of us and our bond. I stumbled across the triquetra which has its roots in Irish paganism before the country became mostly Christian. It can represent things that come in threes such as mother,son,and child or mind,body,and soul and ect. The reason why I'm choosing this symbol is because it does not have a fixed meaning but instead can represent anything that comes in threes. I am black but I dont know if I should use the symbol. Maybe u guys beleive in cultural appropriation or not. Just let me hear your thoughts. Also please no negativity towards me or the other people in this thread. I am not trying to offend or start arguments. Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:41 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I don't believe in cultural appropriation. culture belongs to everyone.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Language: sarcasm
I don't believe in cultural appropriation but I do think we should respect and at least acknowledge when something comes from a different culture and its roots. So due to that I think wearing ceremonial headdresses at American music festivals is kind of disrespectful/tacky tbh esp since our historical and even current treatment of our Natives isn't good.

But it sounds like you appreciate and understand the significance so I don't really see why not.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 AM
MAGA

Sorry, I don't buy into the tattooing subcultures of the last 25 years. So I can only suggest maybe some craft, painting, or sculpture if you want to make a family memento.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:26 AM
SAS Member

Get it if that is what it means to you. I'm getting a part of my country's flag on my right wrist soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page