Crying/voice cracking - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
your dads girlfriend

Language: everything
My Mood: Sad

Crying/voice cracking

Sometimes when I try to hold a conversation or initiate a conversation with someone my voice will crack, my heart beats so fast, my head gets warm, I tense up, then I can feel the tears coming. I feel so stupid thinking about the fact that I canít hold a conversation without feeling like Iím going to cry. I was in the hospital and eventually I ended up having to share a room and I overheard this girl really struggling with something and I didnít know how to tell her myself so when she went to the bathroom I told her mom instead. I had worked up the convo in my head, decided nah forget it theyíll figure it out but honestly most people donít figure out the solution to what I was trying to help with and give up so I knew I had to tell her so I was like **** it ok letís do this. Walked over and said I overheard this and that and hereís how I can help you. Anyways as soon as I started talking I looked at her in the eyes and all the sudden my voice started cracking and I was about to burst out crying and Iím like wtf is wrong with me?! Anybody else have this problem??

sparkle jump rope queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrowisalongtime View Post
Nobody in here has friends, come up with something more original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 PM
I am average!

I still have it but very rarely. I used to have it much more before. The worst part about it is that when it happens I think it almost looks like the other person is about to cry also after a bit. I seem sad so they get sad too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Dog Lover

My Mood: Cold
Try breathing relaxation techniques.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Live for the progress that you've made.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

Yep

This used to happen to me a lot. I think it always happens in situations where I'm being confronted about something.

Hasn't happened to me in a while, but I still do get panic attacks for social situations and whatnot (i.e. increased heart-rate, sweating, shakiness).

My voice tends to crack whenever I'm asked to speak a lot. So, during presentations, I try to keep it to a minimum but that isn't always possible.

ďThough I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyandRage View Post
Sometimes when I try to hold a conversation or initiate a conversation with someone my voice will crack, my heart beats so fast, my head gets warm, I tense up, then I can feel the tears coming. I feel so stupid thinking about the fact that I canít hold a conversation without feeling like Iím going to cry. I was in the hospital and eventually I ended up having to share a room and I overheard this girl really struggling with something and I didnít know how to tell her myself so when she went to the bathroom I told her mom instead. I had worked up the convo in my head, decided nah forget it theyíll figure it out but honestly most people donít figure out the solution to what I was trying to help with and give up so I knew I had to tell her so I was like **** it ok letís do this. Walked over and said I overheard this and that and hereís how I can help you. Anyways as soon as I started talking I looked at her in the eyes and all the sudden my voice started cracking and I was about to burst out crying and Iím like wtf is wrong with me?! Anybody else have this problem??

It could be that you're feeling intimidated when you talk to people. Does eye contact aggravate it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
your dads girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
It could be that you're feeling intimidated when you talk to people. Does eye contact aggravate it?
Yes I think so.

sparkle jump rope queen
Quote:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 AM
the knowledge void

It's exhausting but this is one of the gold standards of social phobia. Luckily my issues with this have decreased with every year.

With eye contact, make sure to look at their forehead directly between the eyes; your conversation partner will think you're looking straight into their eyes, but your focus is on the forehead so their gaze will be less haunting for you.

Keep fighting!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
your dads girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
It's exhausting but this is one of the gold standards of social phobia. Luckily my issues with this have decreased with every year.

With eye contact, make sure to look at their forehead directly between the eyes; your conversation partner will think you're looking straight into their eyes, but your focus is on the forehead so their gaze will be less haunting for you.

Keep fighting!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you. I will try this out!

sparkle jump rope queen
Quote:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 AM
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyandRage View Post
Thank you. I will try this out!
Do it.

for me, it took a few years to settle, and not feel terrified. i don't want to discourage you, just want to let you know that it may take a long time to become fully trained, as it were.
in the beginning, it will probably feel like you're forcing it (which you are obviously, but the goal is to make it so that forehead-staring is your autopilot).

good luck

AIIOW3VERYT_8Nų5H47EE
the demon is the healer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page