Car Insurance: Ridiculous - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I was like.....what country is this about? I am thinking USA. Even with the exchange rate. That's expensive. My 2006 car has 271,000 miles on it and it still runs well. I pay under US$1,000 a year on it. It would be probably double that for a new car. I can't imagine paying over CAN$4,000.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
The car insurance that my father and I have costs about $357 every 6 months.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I was like.....what country is this about? I am thinking USA. Even with the exchange rate. That's expensive. My 2006 car has 271,000 miles on it and it still runs well. I pay under US$1,000 a year on it. It would be probably double that for a new car. I can't imagine paying over CAN$4,000.
Its Canada, the province of Ontario has some of the highest insurance rates in all of North America.

This is actually an old thread. Age has done wonders for my insurance though (Along with keeping a clean record) I ended up keeping the Jetta for a few more years before I bought a newer BMW. It has more power and rides way nicer, plus my insurance is just a bit over 1500 a year.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:06 PM
SAS Member

I like updates on really old threads you didn't read at the time Like a time machine
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:35 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Mine used to be around $250 a year but has crept up to $360 a year, partly because I added roadside assistance. Owning a car unvaluable enough that there's no point in insuring for damage people do to it saves a ton of money.

I've been hit by an uninsured motorist and uninsured deer, but the total cost of those accidents has been $50 (to get the hood and driver door fixed enough to open) since I left the huge dents and inoperative back door as-is and taped over the headlight cover.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
I pay approximately $220 a month for my Ford Fusion Hybrid 2015 Titanium, but that is because I only received my driver license 6 months ago and because the car is, well, relatively new. Plus my insurance covers a lot of things.

Experienced drivers with no violation points and with basic insurances on this car could easily pay well under $100 a month.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
I pay approximately $220 a month for my Ford Fusion Hybrid 2015 Titanium, but that is because I only received my driver license 6 months ago and because the car is, well, relatively new. Plus my insurance covers a lot of things.

Experienced drivers with no violation points and with basic insurances on this car could easily pay well under $100 a month.
My insurance must be pretty high then. I've been driving for 11 years (only one ticket 10 years ago for running a red light) and my insurance on a 2016 Ford Taurus Limited comes out to just over what you're paying. And I think yours is a slightly better car and you're two years younger than me. Although I wouldn't dream of not having full coverage on a car less than 5 years old.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
My insurance must be pretty high then. I've been driving for 11 years (only one ticket 10 years ago for running a red light) and my insurance on a 2016 Ford Taurus Limited comes out to just over what you're paying. And I think yours is a slightly better car and you're two years younger than me. Although I wouldn't dream of not having full coverage on a car less than 5 years old.
My understanding is that Ford Taurus is essentially a semi-luxury car, while mine is a regular mid-size sedan (even if a hybrid), so I would expect the Taurus coverage to be a bit more expensive. That said, when I was purchasing the insurance, the car salesman waiting nearby did comment on how good that rate was, compared to what most other people get in similar conditions. Maybe I somehow got very lucky.

A lot of things may contribute to those rates, so it's hard to say why you aren't getting a lower one. Have you tried calling other insurance companies for quotes?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
My understanding is that Ford Taurus is essentially a semi-luxury car, while mine is a regular mid-size sedan (even if a hybrid), so I would expect the Taurus coverage to be a bit more expensive. That said, when I was purchasing the insurance, the car salesman waiting nearby did comment on how good that rate was, compared to what most other people get in similar conditions. Maybe I somehow got very lucky.

A lot of things may contribute to those rates, so it's hard to say why you aren't getting a lower one. Have you tried calling other insurance companies for quotes?
No but I should. I have Allstate, a friend recommended Esurance.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:50 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Until your 25 years old they really screw you with high rates. Get a car you can pay for cash so you dont have to have full coverage. Just liability insurance
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:11 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Its Canada, the province of Ontario has some of the highest insurance rates in all of North America.

This is actually an old thread. Age has done wonders for my insurance though (Along with keeping a clean record) I ended up keeping the Jetta for a few more years before I bought a newer BMW. It has more power and rides way nicer, plus my insurance is just a bit over 1500 a year.
I don't thing I ever changed my policy. I have been with my insurance company since 1995, and moved to my own account in 2007 when my father passed away.

I drive a 2006 Mustang and only pay about $525/yr, maybe a bit more, which would be about CAN$700.

As @chrisinmd mentioned, you hit the magic number 25, so it changes. They no longer see you as an "out-of-control lead foot teen".

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Until your 25 years old they really screw you with high rates. Get a car you can pay for cash so you dont have to have full coverage. Just liability insurance
I agree i did this.. and only paid 104 for insurance..however my car had an issue every other month so i had to get a new car.. and not my insurance is damn 307 smh..

i hate the cost of insurance, it sucks but hell its better than public transportation.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
cars are inherently ridiculous even before insurance

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:35 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
I pay 1,700/year. It's ****ed up, in my opinion, but I screwed up by buying a new car.

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page