Car Insurance: Ridiculous - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh

Car Insurance: Ridiculous

Hey All!

So I'm starting a new job soon so I have been looking to find a used car that will be able to take me to work and to school which is 2 hours away from where I live, my current car is a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L and has been giving my nothing but problems lately, and has been in and out of the shop so I'm worried about taking it far from home.

Today at lunch I went to price out a 2013 base Dodge Dart since I was interested, I was shocked to hear it would cost me 4955 a year to insure this car!! and its not even top of the line. That is with a clean driving record and being insured since I was 16. So I thought well how about the 2010 Ford Focus I looked at?? Its older. Nope still would cost me 4400 a year... So now I'm scratching my head, my insurance broker suggested I get a bigger vehicle to lower the rate, but that won't help when I'll be paying for more gas. I guess I'll have to use that difference instead for maintenance costs on the Volkswagen.

These prices are ridiculous compared to what I pay on my Jetta right now at 2575 a year, even when I got my car at 18 I paid no where close to those numbers, I do understand these cars are newer but why is the cost so high now even for cars of similar age to when I bought my Jetta used? I can afford it if I wanted too, I just cant justify those costs! It made me realize it would be even worse if I had infractions on my record.

So my question is how do you guys feel about insurance costs? Do you have something to share about your experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Did you compare rates online?

I remember when I was in high school/college I was paying about 3200/yr.

Right now I pay about 1200-1600.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findedeux View Post
Did you compare rates online?

I remember when I was in high school/college I was paying about 3200/yr.

Right now I pay about 1200-1600.
I went directly to my Insurance broker in town and these where the cheapest rates they could offer me from different insurance companies in Ontario.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:57 PM
PreciousGleamingMcNugget

you're a 21 year old male with a fairly new car, it's gonna be expensive for you cuz they expect you to crash into everything bc you drive with your weenie :/

nobody exists on purpose. nobody belongs anywhere. everybody's gonna die ~~

If you like pina coladas and gettin caught in the rain, follow me on Twitter @audreytheworst . I never talk about pina coladas or rain. But surely you like other stuff. If you don't, get some other interests already, geez.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Seriously , never serious

All insurance is a rip off .

. WTF is wrong with me

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Permanently Shunned

Have you gotten quotes from other insurers? Are you paying full coverage for your Jetta?

PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!!!

Where he at? Where he at? Where he at?

█ No, seriously where he at? I'm hungry. █

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Permanently Banned

Yeah, it's your age + new car. My insurance is high on my lease but much lower than yours. It would help to have the car in your parent's name and be a driver under their insurance.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
SAS Member

That's strange since you've been driving for 5 years. Are you sure your driving record is clean? No speeding ticket? No red light camera?

I also heard they sometimes use credit checks as a factor. Do you have horrible credit?

Do you have parents? Sometimes they can add you to their insurance.

Have you tried Geico?

“We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.”

― Kurt Vonnegut
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
Have you gotten quotes from other insurers? Are you paying full coverage for your Jetta?
I just went to my insurance broker in town, they gave me quotes with different insurance companies across Ontario, and these happened to be the cheapest. When I went to get a quote for the new car, I told her I wanted the exact same policy that I had on the Jetta, so there was nothing different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of Amnesty View Post
Yeah, it's your age + new car. My insurance is high on my lease but much lower than yours. It would help to have the car in your parent's name and be a driver under their insurance.
I don't think I'm actually able to get my insurance under my mother, I think I was going to do that the first time I bought my Jetta, but I forget what the reason for that was. I think something along the lines of My mom already had her name under another vehicle and she can't have her name on more than one car. Dad's not an option since he passed away 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClare View Post
That's strange since you've been driving for 5 years. Are you sure your driving record is clean? No speeding ticket? No red light camera?

I also heard they sometimes use credit checks as a factor. Do you have horrible credit?

Do you have parents? Sometimes they can add you to their insurance.

Have you tried Geico?
Yes I know my driving record is completely clean, no tickets of any kind. I hadn't even considered my credit but that shouldn't be the issue either I would think. It must just be that I'm young and the cars I'm looking at are all newer within a 5 year range. Would family living at home who are able to drive your car as well factor in cost? I really can't think of any other reasons why its such a big difference over my Jetta.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:50 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
Insurance can be expensive. Take as big of deductible as you can and keep your driving record clean. My insurance company (Allstate) even offers discounts to students that get good grades. Take as many discounts as you can. If the car is a "clunker" consider dropping collision and comprehensive altogether.

"We need a healthy economy and we shouldn't be embarrassed about our system. If you want to look at a system that is non-capitalistic, just take a look at what was perhaps the wealthiest country in the world and today people are starving to death. It's called Venezuela."

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

“The media everywhere is mostly liberal.”

- Former CBS News Reporter Lara Logan
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
Woooow that's expensive. At that age here it's around the $1000 mark. How on earth do they justify such premiums, sheesh.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

£29.95 monthly

most all want to just see alll yearly rate... £359.40 seems more than some relations and friends of my brother. was less than 2018 Aug restart

i abhor regularly forced to refresh? repay??? what word..??? Renew?? WHY?
How about just constant fixed agreements???? why keep plying for more, more, too often? having old car = no paranoia of theft! declaring low value helps. £500
history of life 1993-2019 no crash or accident, ever, no concept of a "CLAAIIMM!!??" what that word means??? should be decent discount..
for whole life, too.. someone emmpllooooyyyyy MEEEEE!!! I ain't killed anyone! the longer i no longer allowed to earn money, more likely generating a killer? balance the policy...

as for MOT testing, generally safety of brakes, buckles, lights, steering, tyres..
why not check the powertrain? makes sense.. trivial expense dismantling engine or transmission... same as above.. authority.. look beyond just own's nose
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Hey All!

So I'm starting a new job soon so I have been looking to find a used car that will be able to take me to work and to school which is 2 hours away from where I live, my current car is a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L and has been giving my nothing but problems lately, and has been in and out of the shop so I'm worried about taking it far from home.

Today at lunch I went to price out a 2013 base Dodge Dart since I was interested, I was shocked to hear it would cost me 4955 a year to insure this car!! and its not even top of the line. That is with a clean driving record and being insured since I was 16. So I thought well how about the 2010 Ford Focus I looked at?? Its older. Nope still would cost me 4400 a year... So now I'm scratching my head, my insurance broker suggested I get a bigger vehicle to lower the rate, but that won't help when I'll be paying for more gas. I guess I'll have to use that difference instead for maintenance costs on the Volkswagen.

These prices are ridiculous compared to what I pay on my Jetta right now at 2575 a year, even when I got my car at 18 I paid no where close to those numbers, I do understand these cars are newer but why is the cost so high now even for cars of similar age to when I bought my Jetta used? I can afford it if I wanted too, I just cant justify those costs! It made me realize it would be even worse if I had infractions on my record.

So my question is how do you guys feel about insurance costs? Do you have something to share about your experiences with it?
I think most likely it's because you're still pretty young. I got my first car at 20, it was a 2001 so was 9 years old and mine was still always high. I did have one ticket for running a red light when I was in college, but nothing else. I do think I was on my parents insurance for a few years which helped.

Do you get safe driver discounts, good student discounts, etc? I get some of those (I graduated college in 2011 so not sure about the student one anymore.) lol But I also have Allstate and just paid it and it came out to $2300 a year.

Also, if you can afford to pay in 6 month intervals, it saves you about $80 for each 6 months, or that's been my experience.

If I were you, I'd get another older car, but reliable for cash if you can until you get older and have more income, and the insurance will be lower. I always wanted a newer car, but I waited it out until last year.

When I called for a quote when I was looking into buying it, I expected it to shoot way up. Because on my old car I didn't have collision or full coverage, rental reimbursement, etc anymore. But it went up about $40 a month and this was going from a 2001 base to a 2016 fully loaded larger car with full coverage. So I think your age is the big factor. Just save the money and when you get older, get you something really nice with it.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

Sounds like you'd be better off finding a good mechanic and just fixing everything that is wrong with the Jetta preemptively, hoping for the best and put the extra money you'd be paying for insurance in savings for when the Jetta is done and you absolutely have to but a car.

$2,000 pays for a lot of car repair.

EDIT - Oops. Didn't realize it was an ancient thread.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 PM
The Groat King

I'd say the Jetta has been scrapped since then.
Probably now a Chinese toaster.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:45 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
I'd say the Jetta has been scrapped since then.
Probably now a Chinese toaster.
A Chinese toaster probably has more resale value than a Jetta.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Barbells and kittens

Mine is around $120/month. That's for full coverage on two vehicles and liability on the other. That's with a safe driver discount and multi car discount. One of the vehicles with full coverage is an antique vehicle that's only driven a couple hundred miles a year and that's why it's so cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Mine is around $120/month. That's for full coverage on two vehicles and liability on the other. That's with a safe driver discount and multi car discount. One of the vehicles with full coverage is an antique vehicle that's only driven a couple hundred miles a year and that's why it's so cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
That said, it's still too much. I think it should go down every year that you don't have any claims. Substantially. But it's mandatory so they have us by the balls and they know it. So they don't care.

Of course it's a business though. There's no profit in lowering your prices when you don't have to in order to prevent your customers from walking away.

------------

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
That said, it's still too much. I think it should go down every year that you don't have any claims. Substantially. But it's mandatory so they have us by the balls and they know it. So they don't care.

Of course it's a business though. There's no profit in lowering your prices when you don't have to in order to prevent your customers from walking away.
I agree. I've had no tickets or claims whatsoever in over ten years and never been at fault for an accident in my life. Also been with my insurance company since 16 years old. I've actually been seeing increases in spite of all that. My car with just liability was $25/month in 2015 and now it's $35/month. They say it's just normal increases in insurance prices. Medical insurance is even worse.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Mine was €850, been driving 14 years no claims, other than fined for speeding a couple times, the cost of running a car is high.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page