Can you be suicidal without being depressed? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Can you be suicidal without being depressed?

Dunno where this goes but whatever.

I'm not really depressed. Yesterday I was just being a goofball listening to Katy Perry's - Fireworks (It's my guilty pleasure), today I've been happy too. Only problem my body wants to feel like crap from the flu I'm getting over so I haven't been goofing off as much. Through all this alleged happiness I've been suicidal. Not full blown suicidal, but just thinking about what life would be like if I did kill myself (or what it was not be ), how I'd do it, why and when. I'm not actually planning it out just mostly thinking about it. Me being suicidal isn't anything new, I've dealt with this a lot over my life.

But I'm starting to think I've dug myself into too deep. I don't know if I'll be able to change. My mind is changing and I'm just starting to develop weird some thoughts. In a way I'm fearful I'll turn into some kind of sex offender or something (I've always been fearful that I'll turn into a menace or hermit or something). I've also kind of lost myself. I no longer understand what it is I feel.

It's all very vague but I don't really understand what I'm trying to convey. I still love life and find it interesting. But I've lost the things I love. I no longer have these ambitions that I used to. I'm starting to think life is no longer worth it, it's either just becoming very boring or I'm just a nut job. I'm afraid I lost something and all thats left is something shallow and hallow. Which will only evolve into something I can no longer recover from.

TLDR: Can you be suicidal without being depressed? You can just read the title and respond to this thread if you like.

I'll answer it a bit myself. I guess you could say it would be a way for me to see if people would truly miss me. Like my coworkers and family. It would the the ultimate way to see if people did truly like me and all the feelings that "People are just nice to me because I'm weird" or whatever were just feelings of paranoia. They had no substantial backing other than my own brain implanting negative thoughts into itself.
It could also just be me making myself feel like I'm bigger than I really am. I can do whatever with my life and no one can stop me. Or maybe it would just be me seeing if people would still write "Happy birthday" on my facebook wall after I'm dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 PM
All Kinds of Awesome

hear me out! (read before locking)

Is TLDR a forum member? I am unfamiliar with that acronym.

I have a recurrent thought that distills my suicidal tendencies into one word: "gun." When it's repeated in my mind, immediately I understand what it represents. It's an incredibly dark thought and to me is a hallow threat, but it's still a threat nonetheless. I like the term 'depressive', which implies that it is a manner of being not necessarily a felt emotion or a stage. It's a part of who you are. That doesn't mean that it rules your life, but it does have a residence someplace.

I've felt almost the same (including the odd sex offender bit) that at times I was just coming unglued or that I could not muster the strength to move on. You'll come to the same conclusion soon enough. Morals are deeply ingrained too. Deep down you are most likely are a good person, but one who is plagued by depression and loneliness. It's hard, it really is and that can weigh on a person. You get weary from what feels like constant struggling. Still... I know you want more out of life. If you have experienced happiness, then you have felt hope too. This place is far too strange to leave so soon.

"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it." --Mark Twain
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBulb View Post
It's all very vague but I don't really understand what I'm trying to convey. I still love life and find it interesting. But I've lost the things I love. I no longer have these ambitions that I used to. I'm starting to think life is no longer worth it, it's either just becoming very boring or I'm just a nut job. I'm afraid I lost something and all thats left is something shallow and hallow. Which will only evolve into something I can no longer recover from.
Very depressed mindstate.

I'd think about seeing somebody.

And no.

I think being suicidal requires a lot of sustained despair and hopelessness.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Duh, Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbert View Post

I have a recurrent thought that distills my suicidal tendencies into one word: "gun." When it's repeated in my mind, immediately I understand what it represents. It's an incredibly dark thought and to me is a hallow threat, but it's still a threat nonetheless. I like the term 'depressive', which implies that it is a manner of being not necessarily a felt emotion or a stage. It's a part of who you are. That doesn't mean that it rules your life, but it does have a residence someplace.

I've felt almost the same (including the odd sex offender bit) that at times I was just coming unglued or that I could not muster the strength to move on. You'll come to the same conclusion soon enough. Morals are deeply ingrained too. Deep down you are most likely are a good person, but one who is plagued by depression and loneliness. It's hard, it really is and that can weigh on a person. You get weary from what feels like constant struggling. Still... I know you want more out of life. If you have experienced happiness, then you have felt hope too. This place is far too strange to leave so soon.
TLDR is short for; too long, didn't read
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatevs View Post
Very depressed mindstate.

I'd think about seeing somebody.

And no.

agree
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Duh, Winning

I think there's a difference between being suicidal and wanting to end your life.
Me, personally, I've had suicidal thoughts before, but I would NEVER go through with it nor would even attempt anything. I don't imagine how I'd die per say, but I imagine if I just wasn't here anymore and think how my family would react, how many people I knew throughout my life would should up to my funeral.... What would be said about me.
But I'm sure everyone thinks about that kind of stuff because it's human nature, no one know's what happens when we pass on.

Do you think you're just in a bit of a rut maybe and that it you've just been kind of down and sad lately?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 AM
SAS Member

It is said suicidal people are very selfish. They leave so many friends and relatives behind, grieving them. I do not think it's out of selfishness. It's out of total despair. I am not so sure depression has much to do with it. It is more the feeling that there is absolutely nothing you can do to correct the situation that you are in, that you would like to change, but do not have the power/will/means to change. Depression is just a side-effect.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbert View Post
A lot of the time on message boards, when someone posts a wall of text they'll get a lot of responses saying "tl;dr". To get around spam like that, a lot of people will type out their long post, and then put a "tldr version" at the bottom, for people too lazy to read.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
SA PhD

Suicide means it wasn't suppose to happen and Soul takes the form of ghost and must complete it's time on earth; living without a body would suck big time.

Any other kind of death, even getting murdered, accident etc. means it was all pre-planned by Dr. God and Soul goes back to where it came from.

The reasoning? Humans are mistakenly given extra brain power than the rest of the living things. It's some kind of error in Dr. God's programming. No living thing is programmed to take it's own life, infact it's the exact opposite; every living thing tries to live as long as possible, and save it's body from all dangers as much as it can.

But human brains, which are already defective (read extra super natural powers), sometimes develops even more defects and take the shape of depression which causes the soul to exit the body prematurely.

End result, the soul's time is still not yet up and has to live on this stupid earth without it's vehicle until the end.

Listen to your elders, they have better understanding of world than you do.
========================================
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM
SAS Member

Well I have learned from my doctor that a person is actually at more risk for suicide when they are being treated for it with anti-depressants. I take paroxetine and every time time I go to the doctor's office I am asked if I have any thoughts of suicide. I believe that physicians are required to ask this when prescribing anti-depressants.

So to answer your question someone may be depressed but when they are taking anti-depressants they are more likely to follow through with it I guess because they have more motivation.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Dum di dum

Language: Danish, English, tiny bit of German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatevs View Post
For the vast majority, yes, definitely.
And that would be "depressed", but of course not mean you actually had a clinical depression.

It is possible to be suicidal for other reasons I suppose, but the only things that come to mind are religious fantasies of some prophecy you have to fulfill or something like that.
I don't think very common at all.

And..
tl;dr - "too long; didn't read"
Used before doing a quick summary of a long post as Charizard said.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogafreak View Post
Well I have learned from my doctor that a person is actually at more risk for suicide when they are being treated for it with anti-depressants. I take paroxetine and every time time I go to the doctor's office I am asked if I have any thoughts of suicide. I believe that physicians are required to ask this when prescribing anti-depressants.

So to answer your question someone may be depressed but when they are taking anti-depressants they are more likely to follow through with it I guess because they have more motivation.
Very interesting. I did not know this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Retired Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
We know you must be feeling pretty bad if you are thinking about posting a thread about suicide.

While SAS exists to provide support, a public discussion forum is not the place to get support when you are feeling suicidal.

To get support online, please write an email to volunteers who are trained to provide support to people who are feeling suicidal:
http://www.suicide.org/suicide-email-support.html

While you wait for a reply to your email, please take 5 minutes to read this page:
http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

If you'd like to talk to someone over the phone:
- USA: 1-800-SUICIDE
- UK/Ireland: http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone.aspx
- New Zealand: 0800 543 354 (24/7 365 days)

Other resouces:
http://www.save.org/
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
http://www.afsp.org/
We do not permit the discussion of suicide.

It is ironic, how often one comes across an atheist with a "holier than thou" attitude.
---Novius---
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page