Can't go out alone in public without being stared at - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Angry

Can't go out alone in public without being stared at

I swear I hate society. I decided to go on an outing last weekend just to get out of the house because I was going crazy staying cooped up. So I went to the bookstore and decided to go to Starbucks. I was alone and I was waiting for my drink. There were a lot of other people there too, and most of them were with their boyfriend or girlfriend. I was just in the corner minding my own business and a bunch of people kept staring at me and giving me weird looks. It was obvious that I was alone and it probably looked weird because everyone else there was with their boyfriend, girlfriend, or friends. It made me really nervous. I HATE when people stare at me, it makes me so mad. I felt so humiliated. It also made me realize how dependent people are in this pathetic society. They can't even order a f**king latte without their boyfriend being next to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Need a witty saying...

Don't worry about it. It can always be your mind.

It happened to me when I was extremely cooped up and depressed. It's like one of the symptoms.

Just think about it like this, curiousty is human nature, a glance or two is fine, even for more than second. But plain staring is just weird. If they're staring at you like that then THEY must be the weird ones.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I have tried too long

In a situation like this I try to spot other people who are also alone. That makes me feel less of a freak for going places alone.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Permanently Banned

PFFF

Trust me gal, unless you're Angelina Jolie, I swear people never waste a single second of their lives to give a damn to stare at a complete stranger like you for nothing at public places, especially when they are with their boyfriends/girlfriends.

Seriously, who do you think you are, assuming people were "staring at you" and "giving you weird looks" just because you were like, lol, "forever alone" at the place???
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Joe
Permanently Banned

I felt awkward going to pizza hut a few weeks ago, when I walked in there were loads of kids around which made me feel a bit more nervous, but I overexagerrated the situation mentally and when I looked to my right *After 5 minutes of staring sadly at my pizza* there was barely anyone there lol.

But looking around you sometimes do look at people even if you don't know them, but saying that I do get paranoid and think people are staring at me whenever I go out I feel especially awkward around people going out with their boyfreinds/girlfriends
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
SAS Member

Trust me, nobody is thinking to themselves 'oh what a loser - here alone'. I think if people notice you and actually stop long enough to think about you being alone (unlikely in itself as they're preoccupied with who they're with, what they're doing)...they either will think 'oh I would never have the guts to go anywhere alone' or in the worst case scenario they might think you look lonely. I personally find it very satisfying to go do things alone just because it is so frightening to other co-dependent people. The fact you can do it, makes you stronger than them.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Permanently Banned

I know exactly what you mean! I've encountered that alot from sitting alone in places. Now what I do is give them a stare back like im going to kill them, literally.. and I don't alter my gaze until they look away. I used to look away instantly and feel uncomfortable and inadequate, but now I think **** you.. you got a problem come over and talk to me about it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
SAS Member

At my age I think that society thinks you've got to be with friends or boyfriend/girlfriend to be going out to the shops or anywhere else. It's like I'm suppose to be really sociable when I'm not. I don't think I could sit in a shop to have a coffee or go for a meal by myself. I'd probably be too afraid of what people would think.

"The darkness is death - we can speak, but we are not heard. We can scream but they turn their backs. We can run, but we cannot catch them. It is the dream where arms and legs won't work the way they should, and the air is too thick to breathe. Loved ones walk a mile ahead, forgetting to stop as we fall behind. This is the reality of the darkness. We are buried alive inside ourselves."-Dana-Christene Umanetz
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
SAS Member

This is pretty much happened to me alot, or at least i imagine it does. so either way, it makes it real in my perception. Anyway, when i feel confident and/or just dont give a **** people usually don't stare at me at all. The looks i do get are more of a positive nature.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 PM
SAS Member

I dont know, it depends on ur attitude. if u sit there shoulders pulled up, looking like a scared mouse, u may attract the attention for looking insecure and uncomfortable, but i dont know if that was the case.

I sometimes think people talk about me and pick even some words, but when i turn and look at them, i see that they are not even occupied with me at all and couldnt have said those things; its the mind. People are not that occupied with u, at least not if u step in confident and enjoy ur time there. U say its becase ur alone, i dont believe that
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullen View Post
I swear I hate society. I decided to go on an outing last weekend just to get out of the house because I was going crazy staying cooped up. So I went to the bookstore and decided to go to Starbucks. I was alone and I was waiting for my drink. There were a lot of other people there too, and most of them were with their boyfriend or girlfriend. I was just in the corner minding my own business and a bunch of people kept staring at me and giving me weird looks. It was obvious that I was alone and it probably looked weird because everyone else there was with their boyfriend, girlfriend, or friends. It made me really nervous. I HATE when people stare at me, it makes me so mad. I felt so humiliated. It also made me realize how dependent people are in this pathetic society. They can't even order a f**king latte without their boyfriend being next to them.
Smile and waive at them. You know that scene from The Waterboy where the Coach Kline pretends the other coach is baby and pretends to play with its cheeks? Do that.

Should take care of the problem.

"The mind is the vehicle for navigating reality. Some still need to learn to drive."
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
If this ever happened to me, I'd just stare back at them...

lol, meet eyes and not stop til they did, ha imagine that!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Permanently Banned

I enjoy people watching. Not in a creepy or weird way. But I just like to observe people in passing. I didn't realize some people would take it the wrong way. I guess I need to be more sly about it from now on.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullen View Post
I HATE when people stare at me, it makes me so mad. I felt so humiliated.
I strongly doubt people were actually staring at you. I'd think SA is a much more likely explanation, where your exceedingly self-conscious mind makes you irrationally think others are looking at you & judging you negatively. Plenty of people with SA feel the same, so you're hardly alone in this. They will truly believe others are looking at them and making negative judgments, in your case having you believe they think "that girl must be a total loser as she'd otherwise be with a BF."

If you clearly stood out from the crowd in some manner -- dressed as a clown, had a gun strapped to your hip, etc... -- then I'd think your belief they're staring was objectively true. I'm assuming you look like a typical young woman that would fail to draw undue attention & tend to assume this feeling is simply the product of how an SA mind works.

I know a guy who thinks people stare at him & he firmly believes they even go so far as to laugh at him. I've seen enough pictures to know he doesn't look odd in any way. Ladies might even view him as ruggedly handsome. I seriously doubt a group a teens would point & laugh (as he believes has happened) since he also looks like the kind of guy who could kick their ***.

I suspect such things can all be attributed to the mis perceptions SA produces. Consider how much attention you give others. Do you stare at anybody? Odds are you barely even notice others in a crowd unless you think they're attractive or odd looking. Odds are most don't really notice you much either.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, i think alot of this is caused by SA giving us heightened awareness of other people.

I sometimes wish something exciting like a hit & run or a shoplifting would happen in front of me because I think I'd be such a good witness. I don't want to see anyone get hurt or anything, but it would be a rare opportunity to show off a benefit of SA.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:16 PM
SAS Member

Whenever I'm out alone in public places, I would always get disgusting creepy older men staring at me thinking I'm some little girl without her parents. It's disgusting and annoying. Just shoot them a dirty look. That's what I do and if they don't look away, tell them to stop staring at you. Staring is rude. People think it's okay to stare since it's not "breaking the law" but overall staring is rude and makes the person being stared at annoyed. I sometimes reverse the behavior by staring back at them and I continue to stare at them with this unfriendly look on my face and then they realize that their behavior is rude and they stop staring at me. If they stare back well then guess what, I am going to stare again until they look away. A lot of people are weirdos and won't stop staring at anyone that interests them in whatever way. I hate society as well. No manners.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Permanently Banned

This is old, but I think you're wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiancia View Post
Trust me, nobody is thinking to themselves 'oh what a loser - here alone'. I think if people notice you and actually stop long enough to think about you being alone (unlikely in itself as they're preoccupied with who they're with, what they're doing)...they either will think 'oh I would never have the guts to go anywhere alone' or in the worst case scenario they might think you look lonely. I personally find it very satisfying to go do things alone just because it is so frightening to other co-dependent people. The fact you can do it, makes you stronger than them.
Just as ridiculous as it sounds, people do think it's weird to do things alone. Our society is based off heard mentality and peer pressure. You are supposed to do what everyone else does or you're weird. They do stare at "loners". I think people who say that people aren't worried about others are being niave, and would be surprised to find out how nosy other people are (Forgive my spelling/ grammer I'm being lazy).
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Permanently Banned

Are you sure people where even staring at you? I used to be like this until I found out it was all in my head and realized nobody stares at me/nobody cares about what anyone else is doing
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:20 AM
SAS Member

yeah even if you are a good looking person or dress well SA amplifies things and makes them 5 times more harder to take

in my presence people don't normally wait till I'm gone. they make comments and gestures standing right behind me and I can see it sometimes or hear it
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealDreamer View Post
Nobody thinks sitting alone in Starbucks is weird. I see it all the time. Chill.

People were probably staring because you looked like you where freaking out imagining what people were thinking of you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page