Buying Christmas Gifts - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Thumbs down

Buying Christmas Gifts

Christmas has crept up on me this year. It creeps up on me every year. But in 2020 especially, because time has felt we're in a simulation this year.

Any hoo, I ain't in the mood to buy Xmas goodies this year, i dont wanna buy em. but society tells me i should buy em. and it's stressing me out. because buying presents requires a lot of thought, and i dont have any thought right now. it's lucky that i get out of bed every morning tbf. so i dont wanna buy anything. but apparently according to "the man" that we live our lives to that's not okay. which sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 12:21 PM
drifting in mist

I hate it too because I don't like the thought of getting stuff that people find useless and will be burdened with disposing of. The holiday is really nothing but a corporate orgy for people who are not devout Christians. But still I feel obligated since we've been celebrating it all my life.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 PM
bipolar

Gift cards from the shops? Very easy and then they can buy whatever they want.

My brother-in-law gave my wife one for a whole shopping centre a while ago - not bad, you can use it anywhere in the place.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Gift cards from the shops? Very easy and then they can buy whatever they want.

My brother-in-law gave my wife one for a whole shopping centre a while ago - not bad, you can use it anywhere in the place.
Gift cards are good. but then my guilty mind always feels so guilty that i gave them a thoughtless gift.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM

My Mood: Devilish
Yeah I can relate, I'm struggling to get out of bed myself these days feeling pretty low, I find once you get to 30's you've kinda seen it all as regards christmas, I remember spending hours looking around for what I thought were ideal gifts, only for them to be tossed aside & forgot about after Christmas anyway.

I don't even bother anymore unless maybe a couple specific items I might get online, I'll probably just get a few gift vouchers for immediate family aswell, keep it simple.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 02:32 PM
Failure's Art

You're totally right about this year seeming like a simulation. Exquisitely put. And I agree about Christmas, it's just consumerist bull**** pushed by big corporations to make huge profits. Poor families go into debt buying their kids worthless plastic **** that will just end up polluting the planet. It's kind of an obscene ritual. I think most people would enjoy Christmas more if it was just about celebrating the year with friends and fam and maybe participating in some traditions. That would be more sincere. But as far as buying gifts, just do what I always do which is get everyone a card and gift card.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I would agree. I'm stressing over what to buy, seeing every gift is discarded and/or forgotten. Not all but many. So then it leaves me to think "what do they actually like? What do they have that they can already buy?" Ugh..... on the other hand, I want to be more creative with gifts. Like buying them a cheap but useful thing to have. Something that can mean anything.

But yes, I hate having that pressure to buy and to please. Maybe cash. Damn, everyone can use cash no? Cash, toilet paper, useless/useful sweaters, stuff everyone needs.. tampons. Gift card for just one song on iTunes. Well, anyway.
(A 'rona care package would be nice)..
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 03:24 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
I've been ordering every present online for the past 20 or so years. You don't even have to get out of bed.

Although my family is still a lot easier because everybody has a public wish list where all I have to do is click and nothing will be duplicated.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I kind of mostly hate buying gifts. For starters, no one in my family will tell you what they want, and no one talks to anyone else, so you never hear anyone mentioning something they want offhand. There's basically zero intel. (And I'm as bad for that as everyone else.) And yet we're still expected to buy stuff, and there's still some expectation that it will be a "thoughtful" gift. Giftcards are frowned on. It's very frustrating.

I also just don't have any money, so it's like, "Well, I'd really rather use this money to buy food so I don't have to eat Mr. Noodles all December," but that's Christmas for you. Giving when you have nothing left to give. At least my parents realized at some point that none of us can afford to spend a lot on Christmas so we only do secret Santa stuff with a couple people instead of having to get something for everyone. (Which would be insane. I'd have to buy like 15 presents every year. I'd have to eat Mr Noodles all year round.)

But, on the other hand, I'm not entirely opposed to buying people gifts. When I can afford to buy something, and I come up with a really good idea, I like giving them. That happened a bit with my last gf. It's nice to surprise someone with something they want but had never thought to ask for.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 09:27 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Christmas pretty much died in this house decades ago. It's against my mom and dad's religion so we cannot so much as buy a $20 drug store Christmas tree even for the atmosphere of kindness and peace and love. I think my dad would probably be OK with it if it was up to him but my mother just won't have it.

I used to love putting up a tree (my mother never wanted us to have a tree but my grandmother gave us one one year and there was nothing my mother could do to stop it so I had one for a few years until she found a way to get rid of it) and decorating and having a nice pleasant atmosphere but my parents wouldn't have anything to do with it and basically, I'd just spend hours and hours working on it and then sit there by myself for a couple of weeks looking at it. Which pretty much just made me curse my existence (even more than I usually do) for having the misfortune of being born.

She sort of relented and let us have a couple of years with gifts under the tree for everyone but she hated every minute of it and did her best to stir up arguments because deep down, the whole thing was "evil" in her mind.

You couldn't give that woman a hug for Christmas without getting punched in the face.

/WYSD
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
I just ask what they want. Makes the entire thing easier.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 08:56 AM
alien monk

I don't do gifts just like i dont do family. i dont do xmas.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

The last few years we just do gift cards or useful, small, inexpensive things like socks, rather than just feeling the need to buy something we know the other person doesn't need/want just for the sake of giving a gift. I'm at the point where if I need or want something, I just buy it myself. So expecting it as a gift just seems silly at this point.

We probably won't be meeting any family for Christmas due to the virus, so I think we'll just forego buying any gifts this year completely.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 07:56 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
I set a budget and pretty much know what I'm getting everyone. If they don't like it meh.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 03:22 AM
Barbells and kittens

Usually get a restaurant gift card for my mom and stepdad. My little brother specifically says no gifts for him and he won't get them for anyone else because he hates the stress of it. My girlfriend wants a new phone this year. I don't have anyone else to buy for, so it's pretty easy. I'll pitch in on whatever she gets her family or at least sign the card.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 03:11 PM
SAS Member

Its sooooo hard buying adults surprise Christmas presents!!!!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 03:27 PM

You could buy a horse, I bet they'd be surprised.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 05:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, French
My Mood: Bored
For the last several years I've gotten to hate Christmas more and more. It's to the point where last year I told myself that this year we would do something non-traditional and "outside the box" so that maybe I could manage not to hate the idea of it. But that hasn't materialized due to COVID.

I'm happy to buy gifts for my kids because it makes them happy, if only for a little while. But yeah, I hate the consumerism, I hate the same old awful music year after year, decorating is a pain in the ***, putting the decorations away when it's over is a pain in the ***, and traveling to see family is not what it used to be. Traveling with the kids is stressful, and due to various seemingly permanent fallings out I really don't have any family left that I give a **** about seeing except my mother.

Severe depression these last few months isn't helping my holiday spirit this year, either.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 11:27 PM
late bloomer

Language: Tagalog, English
We have an upcoming Christmas party and were asked to write what we want. I wrote a box of Ferrero Rocher because it's the season for feasting
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 11:39 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchuckie View Post
We have an upcoming Christmas party and were asked to write what we want. I wrote a box of Ferrero Rocher because it's the season for feasting
My brain always seems to want to see that as "Ferrero Roaches"

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page