Blushing super easy for absolutely no reason - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Unhappy

Blushing super easy for absolutely no reason

can someone please help me find some sort of relief and make it go away !?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Hi there. I suffered from chronic blushing for years. I know how bad it can be.

I didn't have any success with CBT or psychotherapy. I still have therapy, but it didn't do anything for the blushing.

For me, the best solution has been the MAOI antidepressant Nardil. Since starting it over a year ago, my blushing has totally gone away.

Other medications worth trying first are the beta-blocker propranolol and the benzodiazepine clonazepam. A combo of 40mg propranolol and 0.125mg clonazepam daily was a help for a while before I started Nardil.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
thank you so much for the feedback, what triggered you? i literally started this out of no where, i am fair skinned so it very very noticeable

also what are you currently taking, all of the above? or just the nardil? or are you also taking a beta blocker?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:43 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeza361 View Post
thank you so much for the feedback, what triggered you? i literally started this out of no where, i am fair skinned so it very very noticeable

also what are you currently taking, all of the above? or just the nardil? or are you also taking a beta blocker?
Hiya. I'm just on Nardil, 90mg, with the occasional low-dose clonazepam for extra-stressful situations.

The beta blocker and benzo combo, I remember I took it between stopping the SSRI I was on at the time and starting Nardil. But it wasn't really sustainable.

Benzos aren't great to take regularly because of tolerance and dependence issues, and propanolol seemed to make me feel very depressed.

I'm not sure what started my blushing problem. I'd had it as far back as I can remember. I do recall having to read in front of the class when I was at high school (I'm in my 40s now), and being so nervous I couldn't speak. I can still feel the terror, and the feeling of burning heat on my face.

I'm also quite fair-skinned, so always felt my blushing was very visible. It got to the point where it could, and often would, happen during every interaction.

It was on my mind constantly (part of the problem no doubt) and it would dictate my actions; I would avoid interacting with people, whenever possible, out of fear that I'd blush and end up feeling humiliated and despising myself.

So for me Nardil has been the best solution. It seems to have broken the vicious cycle of blushing in my mind.

Unfortunately psychiatrists mostly don't like to prescribe it unless the patient has previously tried many SSRIs/SNRIs without success (I had). Many won't consider it at all.

It also has side-effects that can be bothersome, though I haven't suffered too badly. A special diet must be followed, too. So it definitely isn't for everyone.

I'd say it's worth trying counselling and CBT first. For sure it can be a help for some. But I'm glad I eventually got to try Nardil.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:24 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Probably can't make it go away. The good news is that people kind of accept that you have no control over it. People are gonna notice probably and they might give you a little bit of ribbing for it but they usually don't want to hurt your feelings or be mean. You will probably just have to accept that this is a thing that happens to you and learn to react to it in a way that doesn't make you feel bad about yourself when people notice.

Your worst fear is probably that someone will say something. So probably you should use a mirror and rehearse your reaction to a typical scenario so that you are prepared to react in a way that doesn't make it more awkward than it has to be.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

Hi all. I as well suffer from chronic blushing. I’m 32 and have had the blushing since I was about 16. I recently wrote an article about my experience if you’d like to read it. It helps to know there are others out there that are experiencing the same things terrible as it is.

https://link.medium.com/gzB7Q5ednab
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
I think this is one of those really uncomfortable things that the more you try to get rid of, the more likely you will trigger it somehow. I blush sometimes and feel I could totally get caught in this as I have sorta accidentally summoned it by thoughts like "if i blushed now that would be embarrassing", then the thought of the embarrassment causes blushing .

Acceptance I would go with. Not going to be easy though. Accept it is something out of your control and be kind to yourself when it happens (keep an eye out for critical thoughts).

I honestly find blushing incredibly endearing. It tells me something about the person too, that they have some traits I like. Someone who gets embarrassed is way less likely to be unkind, I suspect.

And on women, I find it kinda sexy, on men I think I could probably get on with them.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 12:00 PM
SAS Member

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I haven't suffered with blushing, but I did have facial tremors so I can relate on that level. It's so hard when the anxiety shows up on your face. I agree with SplendedBob, it's all about acceptance. I'm still working on the how, so I'm of no value there only to say that you aren't alone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 09:21 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Drunk
Had this for years, did nothing about it for years and now it has pretty much under control. The trigger is still there for the brain to send the signal, but I think my body chemistry has changed and it is less of a problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page