Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Be a musician if you'd never been to a concert? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/be-a-musician-if-youd-never-been-to-a-concert-2069705/)

sas62759 09-02-2017 01:19 AM

Be a musician if you'd never been to a concert?

?

tehuti88 09-02-2017 01:26 AM

It's entirely possible. There are more ways to learn music than to listen to it at a concert. Better ways, too.

I've never been to a book signing/reading but I still write books.

sas62759 09-02-2017 01:42 AM

Anybody else?

forgetmylife 09-02-2017 01:43 AM

possible yep

concerts are just fun experiences, a social way to enjoy other people's music, and a main source of income for the band or musician

im not sure you'll learn as much as opposed to say, visiting an instructor/teacher who teaches you directly through explanation... It can be a source of inspiration though, and a way to learn how to organize a set to control the flow of energy/emotions of the audience.

Plasma 09-02-2017 01:48 AM

It's definitely possible. I've wanted to become a musician, but never been to any concert before either.

sas62759 09-02-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasma (Post 1090788289)
It's definitely possible. I've wanted to become a musician, but never been to any concert before either.

your too young.

Skeletra 09-02-2017 02:45 AM

Yeah, there is a guy in Italy that sings about anxiety and society and he never holds consents. Not sure if he's ever been to a concert, but it's very obvious he doesn't like crowds. Would not surprise me if he never went to one.

What are you worried about? You done have to go to concerts to know how to play instruments or sing, and you don't have to go on tours either.

Plasma 09-02-2017 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas62759 (Post 1090788409)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasma (Post 1090788289)

your too young.

I meant in the future, it's something I'd like to try out. Obviously I'm too young right now.

629753 09-02-2017 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasma (Post 1090788649)
I meant in the future, it's something I'd like to try out. Obviously I'm too young right now.

There is no such thing as too young. Michael jackson and others started at 12 or younger. Dont limit yourself. (Dont compare yourself to michael).

Plasma 09-02-2017 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impedido10 (Post 1090788681)
There is no such thing as too young. Michael jackson and others started at 12 or younger. Dont limit yourself. (Dont compare yourself to michael).

I'm still trying to learn guitar and piano, so it'll take some time before I feel confident in moving towards being some kind of small-time musician.

sas62759 09-02-2017 03:35 PM

Anybody else?

Persephone The Dread 09-02-2017 05:00 PM

Do you mean play concerts or go as a member of the audience? Because I think the primary way musicians make money now is through live performance especially if they're not that big.

As for attending concerts I don't think it's necessary at all and there are many musicians who don't really listen to music as much when they start making it themselves. I also personally have a friend who occasionally makes music as a hobby and he doesn't listen to much at all. He has a few artists/tracks he likes, but he's not a big fan of listening to it, and never has been.

It sort of reminds me of something a university lecturer told me once, that when people start working on games or content for games, they stop enjoying/playing video games as much. And it's true, when you start doing something like that you do tend to go off consuming related media as much because you're spending a huge amount of time working on it and it also changes how you view it - you start to analyse it and think about how certain things were made etc. When I was studying my degree and working most hours of the day I started to see wireframes on real life objects and all kinds of crazy ****. You just look at something and think about how you could create it in 3D and what that would involve. You see something that looks like it would make a good texture and just stop to take a photo of it to the bemusement of other people with you. I don't do that now though, because I'm not working on anything anymore.

A lot of musicians when they listen to music they start deconstructing it into its components, so that makes it a different experience as well when you do that. Some musicians admit to only listening to certain genres - ones they'd never make themselves. But then others are huge fans of music still and listen to lots so it varies.

tehuti88 09-02-2017 05:21 PM

Anybody else...?

Anybody else...?

Anybody else...?

...You're too young.

Anybody else?

...Seriously, it grates on my nerves when someone (no, not just me) answers a thread and all the OP can come up with is that good old "Your-reply-isn't-good-enough" slap-in-the-face, "Anybody else?" I think it'd actually be better if an OP just say, "Bump" (preferably after longer than an hour has passed) or not reply at all rather than give the good old dismissive "Anybody else?"

I think I'm going to ignore these threads from now on, or just reply facetiously if I'm bored. A lot of them seem incomprehensible anyway.

Barakiel 09-03-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread (Post 1090794353)
When I was studying my degree and working most hours of the day I started to see wireframes on real life objects and all kinds of crazy ****.

It must've felt like you were starting to live as Lain right?

(actually I haven't seen anything beyond the first episode a while ago, not sure how accurate that is :um)

dre3 09-04-2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas62759 (Post 1090788113)
?

You can learn a lot of things about music by learning new songs by ear from recordings. If you can find a few people to play with on a regular basis, even better.

But if you want to become a good *performer*, it helps to watch other performers to learn how to work the crowd. If you don't intend on being a musician for huge audiences, then it's probably fine to hear music in more intimate settings (e.g. coffee shops, jazz club, poetry readings, etc).