Be a musician if you'd never been to a concert? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Be a musician if you'd never been to a concert?

?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:26 AM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
It's entirely possible. There are more ways to learn music than to listen to it at a concert. Better ways, too.

I've never been to a book signing/reading but I still write books.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anybody else?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Pidgin
possible yep

concerts are just fun experiences, a social way to enjoy other people's music, and a main source of income for the band or musician

im not sure you'll learn as much as opposed to say, visiting an instructor/teacher who teaches you directly through explanation... It can be a source of inspiration though, and a way to learn how to organize a set to control the flow of energy/emotions of the audience.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Bask in the abstract

My Mood: Pensive
It's definitely possible. I've wanted to become a musician, but never been to any concert before either.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
It's definitely possible. I've wanted to become a musician, but never been to any concert before either.
your too young.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 AM
SAS Member

Yeah, there is a guy in Italy that sings about anxiety and society and he never holds consents. Not sure if he's ever been to a concert, but it's very obvious he doesn't like crowds. Would not surprise me if he never went to one.

What are you worried about? You done have to go to concerts to know how to play instruments or sing, and you don't have to go on tours either.

Embrace the glorious mess that you are
Elizabeth Gilbert

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 AM
Bask in the abstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas62759 View Post
Quote:
your too young.
I meant in the future, it's something I'd like to try out. Obviously I'm too young right now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Fine
Quote:
I meant in the future, it's something I'd like to try out. Obviously I'm too young right now.
There is no such thing as too young. Michael jackson and others started at 12 or younger. Dont limit yourself. (Dont compare yourself to michael).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 AM
Bask in the abstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by impedido10 View Post
There is no such thing as too young. Michael jackson and others started at 12 or younger. Dont limit yourself. (Dont compare yourself to michael).
I'm still trying to learn guitar and piano, so it'll take some time before I feel confident in moving towards being some kind of small-time musician.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anybody else?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Do you mean play concerts or go as a member of the audience? Because I think the primary way musicians make money now is through live performance especially if they're not that big.

As for attending concerts I don't think it's necessary at all and there are many musicians who don't really listen to music as much when they start making it themselves. I also personally have a friend who occasionally makes music as a hobby and he doesn't listen to much at all. He has a few artists/tracks he likes, but he's not a big fan of listening to it, and never has been.

It sort of reminds me of something a university lecturer told me once, that when people start working on games or content for games, they stop enjoying/playing video games as much. And it's true, when you start doing something like that you do tend to go off consuming related media as much because you're spending a huge amount of time working on it and it also changes how you view it - you start to analyse it and think about how certain things were made etc. When I was studying my degree and working most hours of the day I started to see wireframes on real life objects and all kinds of crazy ****. You just look at something and think about how you could create it in 3D and what that would involve. You see something that looks like it would make a good texture and just stop to take a photo of it to the bemusement of other people with you. I don't do that now though, because I'm not working on anything anymore.

A lot of musicians when they listen to music they start deconstructing it into its components, so that makes it a different experience as well when you do that. Some musicians admit to only listening to certain genres - ones they'd never make themselves. But then others are huge fans of music still and listen to lots so it varies.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:21 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Anybody else...?

Anybody else...?

Anybody else...?

...You're too young.

Anybody else?

...Seriously, it grates on my nerves when someone (no, not just me) answers a thread and all the OP can come up with is that good old "Your-reply-isn't-good-enough" slap-in-the-face, "Anybody else?" I think it'd actually be better if an OP just say, "Bump" (preferably after longer than an hour has passed) or not reply at all rather than give the good old dismissive "Anybody else?"

I think I'm going to ignore these threads from now on, or just reply facetiously if I'm bored. A lot of them seem incomprehensible anyway.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
When I was studying my degree and working most hours of the day I started to see wireframes on real life objects and all kinds of crazy ****.
It must've felt like you were starting to live as Lain right?

(actually I haven't seen anything beyond the first episode a while ago, not sure how accurate that is )
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas62759 View Post
?
You can learn a lot of things about music by learning new songs by ear from recordings. If you can find a few people to play with on a regular basis, even better.

But if you want to become a good *performer*, it helps to watch other performers to learn how to work the crowd. If you don't intend on being a musician for huge audiences, then it's probably fine to hear music in more intimate settings (e.g. coffee shops, jazz club, poetry readings, etc).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page