Awkward phone calls HATE - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed

Awkward phone calls HATE

So I'm a student and I am looking for internships and some recruiter contacted me a week ago. First he asked me to mail him back with my CV. I mailed him and of course.. forgot to attach the file. Fail 1. Then I re-sent it and he wanted to do a phone call. I decided to give it a shot and accept his help and let him call me. Bad choice. First of all I have phone anxiety.. I just thought I really needed a job in time so that's the only reason I made a phone call.

I was not prepared at all. Fail 2. I started off good by answering questions and telling him what I like to do for work. He gave me a job opportunity at some company and talked about their project. I wasn't interested in their project and did not understand half of what he was telling. I doubted alot and a big awkward silence fell... He didn't seem nice at all either. He was like, did u have a long day or what? (in a humiliating tone or something). Made me extra awkward. Then he told me about another company and I doubted again about it and made a total random weird comment out of place and he was like yeah.. what. Ugh I wanted to disappear and sink through the floor. Anyway I said I would mail him back if I decide to accept any offer. I tried to play it cool, but inside I died.

WHY AM I SO AWKWARD?! AND INSECURE?

Anyone else had a super awkward phone call like this?

Makes me not wanna do anything again.
Everytime I try to conquer my fears I fail anyway??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:15 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Yeah, that sounds pretty awkward. If it's any consolation, I always did equally terrible in interviews. I left interviewers speechless because I misunderstood what they were asking and gave completely stupid answers to things. Awkward ugly weirdo pretty much sums me up. I hate talking on the phone, too.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:31 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I hate phone screenings. I'd rather have an in-person interview. You can't see their face and they can't see yours, so it's all about what you say and how eloquent you say it. Just, ugh. I end up getting stumped by some of their questions and then babble nonsense to other questions. At least in person you can see on their face if they are disgusted or done with you.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:47 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I only ever did one interview & failed, but got the job anyway (it's complicated) ..I seem to work better in reality.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page