Are they laughing at me? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Are they laughing at me?

I hate this feeling. My husband and I were in the store today and we walk by these two, probably 16 year old boys. Right as we walk past them, they started laughing hysterically. I immediately get all nervous and think the worst, they HAD to be laughing at me. Do I look fat? Is it my clothes? Do I have something on my face? I just don't understand why I care so much what people think of me. I had to leave the store, I waited in the car until my husband was done. He just doesn't get me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I hate it when this happens as well. Whenever i'm out and hear a group of people laughing, I immediately get paranoid and think they're laughing at me. It's a horrible feeling, and makes you feel so self-conscious, doesn't it?

I'd say that most times people aren't laughing at you at all, but sometimes you might get some childish people who are amusing themselves by making other people feel awkward or bad. I don't think its personal at all, I think they would do it to whoever walked past at that moment. If they were laughing at you, I don't believe for a second it is a reflection on you, it was just two immature boys being childish.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Kyaaa, this is one thing that totally bothers me! I usually just check my face and shrug it off, haha. If they are laughing, I am glad I could give them something amusing to tickle their minds? I usually try not to care, especially when the boys or girls in question are younger than me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I hate this feeling. My husband and I were in the store today and we walk by these two, probably 16 year old boys. Right as we walk past them, they started laughing hysterically. I immediately get all nervous and think the worst, they HAD to be laughing at me. Do I look fat? Is it my clothes? Do I have something on my face? I just don't understand why I care so much what people think of me. I had to leave the store, I waited in the car until my husband was done. He just doesn't get me.
I get this all the time. I sometimes have to fight to control the urge to go over and confront the laughers. I know on a rational level that they're not laughing at me, but my brain doesn't always operate on that level. It prefers to wallow in paranoia.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

Hehe i get that too, but no-one should ever take any notice of 16 year old boys anyway. They probably find things funny that no-one else would.
Chances are it was a coincidence, but even if they did find something to laugh at, you just gotta accept that there are some people out there who laugh at stupid things and most decent people wouldn't laugh even if there WAS something.
I just block that kind of stuff out(after chacking a mirror lol) and carry on.
I hope that made some sense.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page