Are the awkward moments real? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Are the awkward moments real?

I have been having a bad week. Not quite sure what caused it, but in general I have not been feeling so hot. Been feeling a bit low (and irritable, angry, shameful, tired etc etc) and having a few pangs of anxiety. I've also noticed my having more 'awkward moments' than before.

The thing is, when I go away and think about it, I realise that what I have said isn't actually that odd. It didn't necessarily need to be an awkward moment - but to me it FELT like one.

So it occurred to me - when I am feeling bad, maybe I am just more sensitive to others' reactions to me. I'm on the lookout for any potential humiliation or rejection and so even the slightest sign - even if it comes from myself in the form of something I think is a bit odd - kicks off my embarrassment gland. Maybe I just put those moments under the microscope more than when I am feeling good. The thing is, when I start to feel a bit uncomfortable, thats when I might start to overcompensate for feeling bad and feel the need to babble. THEN I actually DO say something dumb ... so my anxiety actually MAKES me act like a prat.

I think that would be good to remember next time I am feeling a bit rough.

Ross

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM

Re: Are the awkward moments real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
So it occurred to me - when I am feeling bad, maybe I am just more sensitive to others' reactions to me.
That's it right there. When we're feeling low, we're more susceptible to feeling vulnerable and sensitive to how we think that other people are perceiving us.

It's really easy to fall into that trap but once you do realize it, that's really half the battle. I've been there too many times to count

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
The thing is, when I start to feel a bit uncomfortable, thats when I might start to overcompensate for feeling bad and feel the need to babble. THEN I actually DO say something dumb ... so my anxiety actually MAKES me act like a prat.
Babbling isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you can find someone worthy of babbling to But I know what you mean When I babble, I'm paranoid that I'm going to say something really idiotic and make an even bigger fool of myself. But.... if you can find a 'safe' person to ramble to, that might be a healthy thing.

I'm a terminal babbler myself and thankfully, I have good friends that allow me to go on and on and on when I need to spill my emotional guts.

At any rate, I hope you feel better, Ross
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Re: Are the awkward moments real?

I think the awkward moments are very real. We are not really as charismatic/easy going as other people, and we probably can make them uncomfortable very quick and this makes us uncomfortable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page