Applying for work isn't working. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Fluent in English, Sarcasm and Backchat. Very bad at Spanish.

Applying for work isn't working.

I emailed about 3-4 local dog-related places a fortnight ago, asking if they were able to take on someone for work. I gave my experience with dogs, explained that I live in the area and whatnot, and I've not heard back from any of them.

Of course, I'm completely aware there is an issue with time, and perhaps they haven't any to check or reply to emails they get that don't concern boarders in kennels or clients for grooming, but the fact that none of them have yet replied to me is frustrating. (I'm also aware the emails could've easily gone into their 'junk' folders instead, but still.)

I was going to contact them via Facebook since they have pages on there, but I thought an email would be better. I have contacted someone else on Facebook, however, a pet sitter near me, and I've asked if they could take someone on, but I'm not holding my breath for a reply either.

I can't call these places, and I'm not getting my mum to call for me because that's ridiculous, and I don't want arguments with her about it.

I don't mind if these places don't have any work, but if they've completely ignored my emails then I don't know what else I can do.

The last time I spoke to the Job Centre, the guy there gave me his number and email address and said to contact him if I had any problems finding work... trouble is I ripped that piece of paper up because I knew that I'd never be able to contact him either way. Well, I could email him, possibly, but I'd never be able to open the email he'd send back.

And that's another issue. I contacted some places a few months ago, and only two replied, but I was afraid of looking at their replies so deleted them before reading them. I'm afraid of them saying "no" and having to start again. Also, I've got an ad online for pet sitting or dog walking that I've had no replies to either (and that's been up on two sites for months).

All I really want to do is work with rescue animals, or just rescue dogs. It's been my dream since I was 15 to run my own rescue. I was so obsessed with the idea, I'd design logos and tried to create a name for it, and even designed an entire house and rescue centre on Paint (which I still have the designs for), all because I worked in a dog rescue for 2 weeks work experience, then over the summer holiday when I left school the following year, and I instantly fell in love with it. But I've had one rescue tell me, when I applied years ago, that I'd be a "risk" to the dogs with my anxieties, and while I completely understand that, I'm completely fine around dogs. I just need the chance to prove that.

I don't see myself finding work any time soon.

Wilfred Mott: Oh, Doctor... what about you now? Who've you got? I mean... all those friends of yours...

The Doctor: They've all got someone else. Still, that's fine. I'm fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:13 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Can you apply for advertised jobs listed on Indeed or sites like that? You probably won't have much luck finding a paid job if you're just emailing random places, but you might be able to find a shelter or SPCA to volunteer at. Around here they always need more people to help with cleaning, socializing, exercising, etc. It still requires human interaction, but so will any dog-related job because those dogs will always have owners/potential adopters.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:14 AM
SAS Member

Maybe visit some animal resues and just ask in person. I know it's hard but just gotta do it if you want some results. Also try to get another job while you looking, imo I feel I get more response when I actually have a job already.

Don't get discouraged I also have a problem with talking on the phone and emails. Just be straight forward and go there you'll feel better that you at least tried.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:12 PM
ΓΤΖΜ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren611 View Post
And that's another issue. I contacted some places a few months ago, and only two replied, but I was afraid of looking at their replies so deleted them before reading them. I'm afraid of them saying "no" and having to start again. Also, I've got an ad online for pet sitting or dog walking that I've had no replies to either (and that's been up on two sites for months).
If you sabotage yourself like that, you're certainly not going to find any work soon. It's better to try and fail than not to try at all (auto-fail). Try to not let your anxiety get in the way of your dreams.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
If only it was that easy....contact only 4 places and find a job. [cough]

I had to apply to over 100 adverts to find my current job. The previous job, I applied to over 200 adverts. And I wasn't applying to any old job willy nilly. I was only applying to jobs related to my college major.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
^ Yeah, I applied at probably over 200 places before I got my first job. And that was all in person. You couldn't email places to apply for jobs back then. But I'm kind of weird looking and very awkward IRL.

@Wren611 If you want to help maybe you could set up a GoFundMe and raise money for local shelters or something. That wouldn't solve your job problem, but it might give you some satisfaction. And you might be able to use it to help you get a job somehow. It would look good on a resume, at least. Idk, just thinking out loud.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Fluent in English, Sarcasm and Backchat. Very bad at Spanish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
If only it was that easy....contact only 4 places and find a job. [cough]

I had to apply to over 100 adverts to find my current job. The previous job, I applied to over 200 adverts. And I wasn't applying to any old job willy nilly. I was only applying to jobs related to my college major.
Your emphasis on how many you applied for isn't relevant to me. I live in a very small village in the middle of the English countryside, with other equally small villages and little market towns nearby. My nearest city is a 45 minutes' drive away (it'd be a good 2 hour bus trip), and the one after that is over a 2 hours' drive (I've no idea how long that'd take to get there by bus - to travel to a town that's a 25-30 minute car journey from me, is over an hour by bus). So yes, I've only applied to a few places because that's all there is here, and I can't do a thing about that, I'm afraid! I can't travel by bus... at all, but if I could, most boarding kennels and rescues are also in the middle of nowhere, where busses don't travel past, and I don't drive (neither do I want to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
@Wren611 If you want to help maybe you could set up a GoFundMe and raise money for local shelters or something. That wouldn't solve your job problem, but it might give you some satisfaction. And you might be able to use it to help you get a job somehow. It would look good on a resume, at least. Idk, just thinking out loud.
I want to get out the house more often, away from my **** of a father mainly, and also actually put my animal care skills to good use. I spend too much time in my room on my laptop anyway.

Wilfred Mott: Oh, Doctor... what about you now? Who've you got? I mean... all those friends of yours...

The Doctor: They've all got someone else. Still, that's fine. I'm fine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page