Anyone here tried almost every medication and found that none of them work for you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Aesthetically Challenged

My Mood: Goofy

Anyone here tried almost every medication and found that none of them work for you?

I feel like my anxiety is interconnected to my personality (being overly sensitive) along with my experiencing persistent social rejection.

I don't think there's any drug that can cure that anxiety without literally turning me into a zombie and suppressing my feelings altogether.

Anyone feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I can't afford medication, but I don't really want to use it anyway, because I'm paranoid about tampering with my brain. I don't want to have a psychotic episode and kill anyone. But I suspect they wouldn't help anyway, since 99% of my problems are situational and aren't going to be cured by a pill.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:19 AM
SAS Member

Yes, I have always been overly sensitive and had the opposite traits of psychopathy. Lesions to the prefrontal cortex can cause “pseudopsychopathy”. That’s the only way I think someone with social anxiety could ever be truly cured.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:27 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
to cure something sounds to me like something you heal with a antibiotic or antifungal medication to eliminate the problem altogether and anything that might be organic in nature. Organic diseases which the brain can have is complex to dissect into with a medication to adequately treat let alone cure its ailment. After trying so many meds without much needed help Im left with nothing to choose from. I think I may try the old school meds like MAOIS or Tricyclics to help me but even dealing with these kinds of problems is a problem in itself.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 01:12 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I haven't tried every medication out there, though I've tried about a dozen, and it turns out there's no med to treat feelings of crushing loneliness and worthlessness brought on by years of self-isolation/avoidance brought on by years of actual rejection and ridicule. Go figure.

According to the mental health professionals, though, I just wasn't trying hard enough/was expecting too much/need to exercise more/just like being miserable. Not their fault, not the meds' fault; solely mine.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:46 PM
bipolar

I've been on quite a bit of medication in my life. At first it was benzos - they do usually work (but not for everyone apparently) - the side-effects/long-term effects of using them are not good. (memory loss, fatigue etc)

SSRI's can help - but they vary so much from person to person. It can take ages to find one that will help and then it might only be very limited. Lexapro did work for me quite a bit - it turned me into a bit of a zombie though (and a very hungry zombie at that). They also brought out the manic episodes - although my wife thinks I was like this years ago. I have no idea and don't really care anymore.

Some people on here rave about MAOI's - I've never tried them so I have no experience with them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
According to the mental health professionals, though, I just wasn't trying hard enough/was expecting too much/need to exercise more/just like being miserable. Not their fault, not the meds' fault; solely mine.
That's about the biggest pile of bull**** I've ever heard. Your MH professionals should probably learn how to do their jobs properly. The one thing I will say about my therapist is that she never makes me feel this way.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 06:08 PM
bipolar

A good medication would be one that you don't even notice. The mood stabiliser I take is a lot like that. Once I get over the initial nausea etc it's not like I've taken anything at all.

Although at a higher dose I did used to fall asleep on the train - it was strange though, I often didn't realise I was tired. A bit hard to explain.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I feel like some can bring you to a base level of calm, but it can never cure you. You have to keep working to lower your anxiety level. And yes, it sucks. and no, I'm not successful... if I could years ago, I'd just lower my anxiety until I have lots of moments of calm. It sucks that I have generalized anxiety too so I worry about silly stuff like cars ramming into my vehicle while I'm going 60.. ugh ...or having an STD when I'm not even intimate.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Aesthetically Challenged

For those of you who've been on a lot of meds, can I ask...

What does it feel like being on them, while experiencing a terrible situtation? Say you're on some anxiety medication, but someone outright rejects you socially, or you are at the receiving end of abusive behavior; at that moment what do you feel? Does the medication just make you feel numb, or do you still feel anxious regardless?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Aesthetically Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
I haven't tried every medication out there, though I've tried about a dozen, and it turns out there's no med to treat feelings of crushing loneliness and worthlessness brought on by years of self-isolation/avoidance brought on by years of actual rejection and ridicule. Go figure.

Very nicely put, as always.

And that is one thing I notice about mental health professionals. If your mental health issues do not respond to their treatment, they seem to take it very personally. As if they failed or it somehow reflects on them as being bad at their job. Rather than just being actually professional and realizing, "hey, everyone is different. Some people will have very severe mental health issues that they will most likely face for the rest of their lives. Let's work on managing it to the best of our ability, recognizing our limits, as well as recognizing even our small accomplishments without shaming or making the person feel even more terrible."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page