Anyone else have issues returning things to the store? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Anyone else have issues returning things to the store?

I'm not 100% sure why this is the case for me, but I've always found it difficult to return items, even if I made a mistake or have every right to due to a defect. It feels like I'm admitting failure or something walking back into the store, telling the cashier why I don't want it. I just can't do it.

Yesterday I was changing the air filters in the house and noticed a vent that never had one. I measured it a 14in x 24in and went to the store to buy one. I get there and they only seem to have 14 x 25 so I get one of those, assuming that I must have measured it wrong. I get home and of course it doesn't fit. I didn't even take off the plastic yet so returning it would be no issue, but the idea just stressed me out so what did I do? I threw it in the garbage...What a waste of money.

I can really be pathetic sometimes. It's ok, you can laugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM

I can relate to not doing things you should do because of embarrassment. Not that specifically, but other similar things like raising my hand in class when I have a question or many other things I probably just can't think of right now lol.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
SAS Member

I do the same thing. I don't know why but I hate returning things as well. Though instead of throwing stuff out I usually just keep it and hope sometime down the road I'll find a use for it.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Poker Junkie

As someone whose part of his job is processing refunds, let me tell you: After doing it a million times, we stop caring. Honestly, I could care any less. I never judge anyone who returns an item. Show me the item, I show you the money, and then I can get back to what I'm doing.

“The purpose of life is to give life a purpose"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Permanently Banned

I could care less about returning stuff. I returned an mp3 player today. What I hate is pushy salesmen! They give me the creeps!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Glad I'm not quite the only person. I know it really shouldn't be a big deal though. I worked in retail for 3 years so I know simple returns are no big deal. It's just that nagging feeling that wont go away that stops me. Darn my weird brain. I'm sure I'll get over this someday.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, a lot of times I have refused to take back damaged or broken items to the stores for a refund or replacement because I feel far too embarrassed. I feel like they'll refuse to believe me or something. I also find it difficult to get myself to get items repaired while they are under warranty for the same reason.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

Yes.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM
SAS Member

I hate returning stuff. It makes me feel like a dumb-***, especially if it was my fault (I bought the wrong printer ink cartridge once). I hate doing it because I know it makes the employees do more work because they have to restock it back on the shelves and it could've been avoided if I would've just read the packaging more carefully. Basically when you return something you make the business less efficient and increase cost.

My mom and my aunts are always returning stuff and they don't give a ****. They'll just buy stuff impulsively and just return it because they just decided that they don't want it anymore. I would never do that. I would only return something if it was defected.

I used to work on the sales floor at Target and a big part of the job that I did was restocking crap that got returned.

YOU BLEW IT.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

I have the same problem. I managed to return something only once -I forced myself to do it b/c it was something I had spent a lot of money on. But it was very stressful. I also refuse to complain about my food being wrong in a restaurant.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
-Jim Elliot
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlennr View Post
I have the same problem. I managed to return something only once -I forced myself to do it b/c it was something I had spent a lot of money on. But it was very stressful. I also refuse to complain about my food being wrong in a restaurant.
I can't complain about that either. If my order is wrong I just accept it and don't do anything about it. Normal non-SA people will raise hell. I've seen it happen. It makes me feel bad for the employee.

YOU BLEW IT.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Pasta

This has nothing to do with this post, but you really look like Dr. Burke from Greys Anatomy in your little avatar photo...

As for returning things to the store, if it's something expensive, I'll do it. But if it's something small, I'd rather not. I can, if I have to... but I don't like to do it. I always worry that they'll ask why I am returning it and when I give them the answer, they'll say that it's not a valid reason or something of the sort. I try to remind myself however, that I live in Canada (well, when I lived there - in Georgia, the country, they wouldn't take anything back so no point in trying) and they'll take almost anything back.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddentwist View Post
This has nothing to do with this post, but you really look like Dr. Burke from Greys Anatomy in your little avatar photo...
Hahaha, I've been told that before.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 AM
SAS Member

I've returned only one item. It was a faulty video game that would never start up. The only reason I did return it is because I told a coworker and he goofed on me for not wanting to return it. So it was either be ridiculed for a good week, or just deal with the sales people for a few minutes.

I recently received some undercooked food at a restaurant. As soon as the plate was put before me, I knew I should have said this isn't finished. But I was afraid the people there would consider me to be a complainer. I visit this restaurant often, and don't want to have anyone think negatively about me. So I just eat the parts that looked mostly done, and left the rest.

"Make No Little Plans. They Have No Magic To Stir Men's Blood." - Daniel Burnham
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 AM
INTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siertes View Post
Glad I'm not quite the only person. I know it really shouldn't be a big deal though. I worked in retail for 3 years so I know simple returns are no big deal. It's just that nagging feeling that wont go away that stops me. Darn my weird brain. I'm sure I'll get over this someday.
You already know.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 AM
SAS Member

I've never returned anything in my life... I think I would do if I spent a lot on something. If it's a small thing, under £10 I just forget about it.

I am going to completely work on making myself happy.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Loveisloveisloveislove

My Mood: In Love
Ive never returned anything, not even some shoes I got as a gift that were too big. I always get a nervous feeling when I try, which embarrasses me which make my nerves get even worse. Its rather frustrating

"If you were happy everyday of your life you wouldn't be human, you would be a game show host"
A single snowflake can bend the leaf of a bamboo
-Chinese proverb
Madness is a state of mind
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow, even more people than I thought. Think of all the money we're letting go to waste haha
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
SAS Member

Yeah sometimes. I think all week about returning some cloths back. Sometimes I end up keeping it even though they are a bit big or small but most of the times i do end up returning it.

RON PAUL 2012
FOR PRESIDENT

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Depends on the cost of the item. If its anything over $20 bucks I'll return it and ask for a refund or product replacement. I tend to avoid buying any electronic from Walmart because their returns desk is a nightmare and their support just sucks, but then I shouldnt buy electronics from Walmart in the first place.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page