Anyone else hate that you can only do teletherapy now? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2021, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone else hate that you can only do teletherapy now?

Teletherapy, for me, is a waste of time. A big part of what I want to improve upon is interacting with people face-to-face, and understanding body language and how to show different emotions. So I am basically having to wait until the pandemic ends before I can have therapy, which is unfortunate.

I think it's unfair that therapists won't do socially distanced in-person sessions... what's the big deal? I think they just don't want to have to look at their clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Do you do video sessions or just over the telephone? My therapist wanted to do video sessions but I talked her into telephone sessions because video terrifies me. I don't like talking on the phone very much, either, but it's easier for me to manage.

The pandemic has definitely derailed me. I had just gotten back to the point of being able to go to the library and sit down in a coffeeshop. Now I feel like I'm back to where I was years ago.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainnot View Post
Teletherapy, for me, is a waste of time. A big part of what I want to improve upon is interacting with people face-to-face, and understanding body language and how to show different emotions.
Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the things I'm trying to work on is being more comfortable being out and about in a public setting. Having to drive into the city once a week to go to therapy sessions used to be a big help in that regard, because I could do other things in the city while I was already down there. Doing therapy sessions via telehealth in my own house is not helping in that regard.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 12:13 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I'm not doing any therapy because there are too many hoops to jump through before even getting it, and then it's not guaranteed to be decent quality even after you've jumped through all the hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Just a bit stitious

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Yeah I am not a fan. For awhile, they were allowing phone sessions which were okay but they stopped that and now are doing video sessions via their app which I don’t like...I make it so my screen is black and I cannot see myself on the screen. Plus, in the time they have stopped in person visits, I had to change therapists because my original one moved away. I have yet to have a in person session with my new one and reallly would like to. Don’t hate the idea of going in person as the office is close by and I am sure they would follow all the proper protocols.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 03:27 AM
SAS Member

I was seeing a therapist for many years, but it was once a week or once every other week and i was paying a very low rate. I started again for about 8 sessions recently and the guy raised the rate tremendously, and I had enough. I am done with therapy possibly for good. The last 8 sessions i had recently were all phone sessions, and I don't see how someone who could possibly be in a robe and slippers could charge the same rate as in person. Seeing a therapist in person is crucial and a must usually, especially for the prices they charge. I have given up on my social life and dating life, so i don't really see the point anyway. I am not even that sad about throwing in the towel, depending on the day. Everyone looks so happy on the surface, but I know it is all a front. Therapy to me for life or an extended period of time is a waste. Once you reach a point, there is not much the person can say, and it eventually runs it's course. Also, never mistake your therapist for a friend, they are professionals who get paid plenty for a service
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 04:01 AM
SAS Member

My CPN decided after two telephone sessions that she could no longer justify her time on me, that was after I bought a webcam, I only saw her twice before the lockdown, she refferred me to the social work department, one of whom came round to the house and gave me two leaflets about "breathing space" and said she wouldn't be coming back, so basically I got dumped by the mental health dept and the social work department.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page