Anyone else going through tough times right now? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
VIP

Anyone else going through tough times right now?

Currently most of the days I'm feeling unwell or depressed or uncomfortable like never before. It's not even that much about anxiety, but more about feeling disconnected and losing interest in things I've used to enjoy and spend time doing. This happened mostly if not entirely because of the way I was abusing benzos and gabapentin in the past.

Currently on paper I'm "alright" with the meds I'm taking and following doc's orders but the way I'm feeling is quite far from alright.
Just wanted to went here a bit and see if someone can relate or provide some advice on how to cope with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:23 AM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I am indeed...but I dont know when I'm not tbh. I dont have any advice...just keep pulling through and one day this will all be a memory.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
I haven't been alright in years. And I didn't even need to abuse anything to get this way.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 03:00 PM
insert witty comment here

If the meds aren't making you feel ok, have you looked into other things? Therapy, exercise etc.?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 PM
cuteness>hard labor

wait for 2021.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:31 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
Lockdown and the lack of social contact is taking its toll on lots of people mentally - just have to wait this out until the situation is handled and they make things safe again x

<3
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:18 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I always have been really. I've never really been OK. My best is other people's terrible.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Sad
I wasn’t doing well at all even before Covid and lockdowns so now I am even worse. I pretty much have lost all hope of things getting better anytime soon.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Eternally Conflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLyric View Post
wait for 2021.
I was waiting on 2020 -_-

But no, I hope 2021 will be a much better year. We all need it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

It's been a tricky year, and the pandemic isn't even in the top 3 bad things for me.

I have a fledgling kratom addiction atm.. taken so much in the evenings its likely to induce some nasty withdrawal.

On the plus, side, despite many **** things happening, it might just be that these things were exactly the kind of pain I needed to move on with my life, finally. My mindset finally changed, so I really do see pain as growth opportunities, as wanky as that sounds.

But it would be nice if the universe spread them out a bit, pls? kk?

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:51 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
not much has happened for the last 2 years. usual ups and downs. some really down times. sometimes i think my life is so glorious. probably a symptom of my insanity. its always been a bit tough, but if it wasn't i think it'd be boring.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Not that long ago I was in a similar boat. I try to occupy myself though it can sometimes become 'a bit too much' to really ignore at some points.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 09:48 AM
cuteness>hard labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedle View Post
I was waiting on 2020 -_-

But no, I hope 2021 will be a much better year. We all need it.

not me, haha. 2019 was actually pretty good for me. 2020 had a bad start for me already.

and yeah for sure.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:01 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
all those that are, I wish you the best and hope things get better soon x

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Well, let's see. My 64-year-old dad had a stroke in January and hasn't been the same since. He lost a lot of cognitive ability, impulse control, memory, logic, stuff like that. When the doctors were looking into that, they let us know that he also has stage 4 bladder cancer. Then Coronavirus hit so we've had to be exceptionally careful with everything, because with the chemo he's at extreme risk. My mom is retired so the two of them basically sit at home all day sniping at each other and making all of us miserable.

Just yesterday we got the letter telling my dad about his "voluntary resignation" from his job, because the doctors couldn't say when or even IF he'd be able to return, because of the stroke and the cancer. So his insurance holds out through the end of the month, but he can't start Social Security until October. So I have no idea how we're going to make it through August and September. Obviously I need to get a job and help out in this situation but my parents are adamant that they don't want me working right now with the Coronavirus because if I got it, my dad would get it and then he'd be dead. We've got my mom's social security and savings, but that's it.

And I'm supposed to continue with my second degree in August, but at this point it feels like a total waste of time and money -- I should be working full-time instead. But my parents disagree. Part of me just wants to bail on this whole ****show and start living my own life, but I feel too indebted to my parents, not to mention guilty that I might miss the last few weeks, months or years of my dad's life.

So, yeah, 'tough times' is a bit of an understatement. But when it rains it pours, right?

"Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce / To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: / Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n" - "Satan", Paradise Lost
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
i don't like being single if that counts.

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:41 PM
SAS Member

I feel like I don't matter to anyone. If I message someone, they often just give me a really short reply, or not even at all.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:57 PM
bipolar

Been very tough lately - there's no denying that. But I started my bipolar meds again, or actually I slowly increased the dose and I'm feeling a bit better. Will start seeing the new shrink lady I saw a while ago and see how we go with that.

Op I would be careful with the benzos - but you probably already know that. Don't know about the other one you mentioned but I've heard it can create a tolerance too I think. I had a huge Xanax addiction for years - it's horrible to get off them so please try and stop before you get to that point.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
Well, let's see. My 64-year-old dad had a stroke in January and hasn't been the same since. He lost a lot of cognitive ability, impulse control, memory, logic, stuff like that. When the doctors were looking into that, they let us know that he also has stage 4 bladder cancer. Then Coronavirus hit so we've had to be exceptionally careful with everything, because with the chemo he's at extreme risk. My mom is retired so the two of them basically sit at home all day sniping at each other and making all of us miserable.

Just yesterday we got the letter telling my dad about his "voluntary resignation" from his job, because the doctors couldn't say when or even IF he'd be able to return, because of the stroke and the cancer. So his insurance holds out through the end of the month, but he can't start Social Security until October. So I have no idea how we're going to make it through August and September. Obviously I need to get a job and help out in this situation but my parents are adamant that they don't want me working right now with the Coronavirus because if I got it, my dad would get it and then he'd be dead. We've got my mom's social security and savings, but that's it.

And I'm supposed to continue with my second degree in August, but at this point it feels like a total waste of time and money -- I should be working full-time instead. But my parents disagree. Part of me just wants to bail on this whole ****show and start living my own life, but I feel too indebted to my parents, not to mention guilty that I might miss the last few weeks, months or years of my dad's life.

So, yeah, 'tough times' is a bit of an understatement. But when it rains it pours, right?
I don't intend to sound selfish, not at all. But in your case there are clear signs from objective point of view why one might say that it's tough for them and absolutely everyone would understand.
Those things, hardship, is incredibly hard to compare without getting into another person's skin. If we can all agree that let's say very severe depression at the point when the person all could think is suicide is as bad as it gets.. Then the question arises how can we compare circumstantial and chemical hardship.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 06:55 AM
England

Life is tough but u must push forward everyday

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page