Anxiety about future, 20 y/o - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused

Anxiety about future, 20 y/o

I've been writing today and kind of pinned down why I've been feeling so anxious and worried about the future, and why I'm having such a hard time getting anything started. I'm 20, not in college, and I'm worried that the path I follow right now isn't going to benefit me in the future because I'm comparing it to the lives and progress of others. For example someone else my age who starts a business, goes to school or whatever, I just assume they're on the right path to success and I'm not. To be honest I dont really know what kind of person I want to be in the future. I just know some things that I want to do right now, which include writing, mma, dog training, art, playing poker, nothing to really build a future or career, although I dont really care about those things. But these things are so off the path and weird to a normal person's standards, and this is where I get caught up. I just worry so much about what I'm actually doing with my life and if it's even important, even if I like doing it. Its such a frustrating feeling, I don't know how to stop this thinking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bepop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
hard time getting anything started.
either, or a combo of, the following: GAD, ADD, perfectionism

Quote:
I'm comparing it to the lives and progress of others.
everyone has their own unique path. not a single person has the same life, origin, or outcome as anyone else.
it's very normal and common to think about other people, to feel like your worse than others, that other people have more luck, more success and less struggle etc. the fact is there will always be many people who are worse off, and many who are better off. it's just how it is. this is why it's hard to improve life and choose a path in life because we often take into account what other people "will think of us" or that other people "had it so much easier than us".

Quote:
writing, mma, dog training, art, playing poker, nothing to really build a future or career, although I dont really care about those things. But these things are so off the path and weird to a normal person's standards, and this is where I get caught up.
they aren't tho. all of those things are pretty common as hobbies AND career paths.

make a list of them. sort in order of how passionate you are about them. maybe one of them, or two even, can be a career dream in your life.

Quote:
I just worry so much about what I'm actually doing with my life and if it's even important, even if I like doing it. Its such a frustrating feeling, I don't know how to stop this thinking.
you're super young and these feelings and worries are ultra cliché. you're not alone in feeling like this.

almost everyone goes thru the exact same thoughts.

also, when people ask about things like this, i always love to include this song.

"Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your Life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t"

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I can't be calm about my future... Why me! Why did I born at all? No hope for now and especially for the future, actually it won't be any... I have no future.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 PM
horses in the bacc! 🐎

Language: American English, Russian
You need to nail down the kind of person you would like to be. It's really hard to gain any traction without a good sense of identity.

Do you have idols/role models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
Sounds like you've got it rough @Zatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
I don't believe you at all about the taste. You are vegan anyway, so how would you know what meat tastes like. I get sick of vegans saying it tastes the same and then you bite into it and it's horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly View Post
noodles. NOODLES
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch View Post
You need to nail down the kind of person you would like to be. It's really hard to gain any traction without a good sense of identity.

Do you have idols/role models?
How do I do that? I dont really have role models, maybe my uncle, but he's not really successful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bepop
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 PM
horses in the bacc! 🐎

Language: American English, Russian
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew141 View Post
How do I do that? I dont really have role models, maybe my uncle, but he's not really successful.
They don't have to be related to you. Or even real, for that matter. What are some qualities you like in other people you'd like to adopt for yourself? And how is your fitness?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
When you were younger, did you have any passions growing up? Maybe that can help you figure out what you would like to do in the future.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page