And this is why I HATE playing sports...I'm terrible at it - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Sad

And this is why I HATE playing sports...I'm terrible at it

I'm terrible at every damn sport I play.

It's getting ridiculous.
I know it doesn't sound like much but when your so called friends are always out playing basketball, football, baseball, soccer..it's a real pain in the a $ $ playing it with them and you suck balls and everyone criticizes you. It makes me wonder why I even bother. Oh yeah..probably cause it's better than to be inside which I've been doing my entire life.

I can't shoot in basketball, or dribble
I can't kick in soccer
I can't catch or throw a damn football
I can't even hit the ball in baseball or tennis

Seriously, I just am the worst sports player ever. It's so annoying when everyone's looking at you and you drop a football, an easy catch and everyone starts laughing at you. I embarrassed myself in front of these girls the other week playing football and boy all my throws were awful. I saw some 6th grader and he threw better than me and I'm 17 for Christ Sake. I throw like a 2 year old. I just got even more nervous when they started giggling and I couldn't catch anything so I told my friend "I'm outta here"

I hate this stupid BS. How 'bout you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
surviving

basketball has helped me out a great deal with anxiety. but you need to have the love for the game to put in hard work and practice to get better.

All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough;they will say you're the wrong height or weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. They will tell you no,a thousand times no,until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no,quite firmly and very quickly. And you will tell them yes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not - kurt cobain
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM
A Living Woman

My Mood: Mellow
I'm not very good at sports either (but since I'm a woman that doesn't seem to bother anyone). I do love badminton. I don't play it often but when I can, I usually do if I have someone I'm comfortable with to play with. I'm not good at it but I find it fun to keep trying to be good at it, haha. Badminton is a sport not too many people are serious about. I wouldn't play it with someone who was intent on winning and making a big deal of it because then it's not enjoyable. Competition puts people in bad moods and makes it hard for me to just go with it. The only other sport I play for fun, though, is soccer, with little kids. Their legs are too small for them to defeat me terribly and if they do defeat me I can just say I went easy on them. And it's fun.

"Somewhere deep in every American heart lies a rebellion...."
D. H. Lawrence.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
SAS Member

I know..=.= I'm 13, but still! I'm only kind of good at volley ball..I think you should just practice more. I'm sure you will get better!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
SAS Member

Now im not an expert but I was like you about 3 years ago when I was younger, I would bunk off going to sports every day. But I changed, because I wanted to, every one was telling me how much sport was fun and that I was missing out. So I eased into it.

See this is what I dont get about people like you and (me, a couple of years ago). Sorry If I sound so blunt and harsh but ill give it to you straight, you (probably)neglect sport all your life and never play it. Possibly dont do much in the way of physical activity.

The longer you neglect sport you physically and psychologically wont be able to cope when you suddenly plunge into a intense game of Bball or football.

Ease into it. If your seirous about getting better at sport you have to put in the work. No pain, no gain.

Go running for abit and improve stamina then you can work on individual sports. This is what I did spent about 40 minutes Jogging every morning. It was hard and horrible at times but its worth it if you want change
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Permanently Banned

i think sports is just so overrated in our society-- beign good at them or what not....i think sports should be mostly for enjoyment and not having to compete or be great at....you can always try to hone your athletic skills somehow if u really want to be good at them....i never cared for sports, but in jr high was good in volleyball and always won for our school...in hs i played tennis but again hated the competition...then after just stopped.... i knew a girl...she was always horrible at sports-- she couldnt swing a tennis racquet for the life of her-- she was clumsy, she was very self conscious about it---two months ago my sister was going through facebook and happened to see hers---now she's an olympian weight lifter--huh? maybe not olympian but something like that...where shes on an olympic team....she's always been skinny---she's still really skinny....but shes a heavy weight lifter---egads---wtf??? shocking...but also quite amazing---and she took karate or some martial arts and got a black belt.....u may not find yourself being great at football but if this girl could do these things, im sure u can too-- i cant even imagine doing well at any of those.... but shes seemed to accomplish them-- i think she told my sister---all she does is work out...she doesnt even have any visible muscles and she wears a head scarf while doing all this....i guess she was so upset at not being good at any sports, she found things she could do and excelled at those....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

For what it's worth, I suck at normal sports too and don't have much interest in them. I always hated PE (gym) class in High School.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I'm terrible at every damn sport I play.

It's getting ridiculous.
I know it doesn't sound like much but when your so called friends are always out playing basketball, football, baseball, soccer..it's a real pain in the a $ $ playing it with them and you suck balls and everyone criticizes you. It makes me wonder why I even bother. Oh yeah..probably cause it's better than to be inside which I've been doing my entire life.

I can't shoot in basketball, or dribble
I can't kick in soccer
I can't catch or throw a damn football
I can't even hit the ball in baseball or tennis

Seriously, I just am the worst sports player ever. It's so annoying when everyone's looking at you and you drop a football, an easy catch and everyone starts laughing at you. I embarrassed myself in front of these girls the other week playing football and boy all my throws were awful. I saw some 6th grader and he threw better than me and I'm 17 for Christ Sake. I throw like a 2 year old. I just got even more nervous when they started giggling and I couldn't catch anything so I told my friend "I'm outta here"

I hate this stupid BS. How 'bout you guys?
Why don't you try an individual sport? Maybe one reason you can't do well at these sports you've tried is because they're all team sports and you're worrying too much about what your teammates are thinking.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page