Always doing everything slowly - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Always doing everything slowly

I don't why but I've always been like this and it's starting to concern me because no matter how hard I try to do things quickly, I can never do it I work in a warehouse and I never seem to hit the targets, I'm worried I'll lose my job I've pretended to call in sick sometimes because I'm worried im going to do badly and embarrass myself, one thing I've noticed is that I seem to daydream alot and I've tried stopping but it doesn't work, and when I do try to work as quick as I can I forget things which also slow me down, I was wondering if anyone has this issue and how to overcome it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
I have a problem with doing things too slowly, too, but I think for different reasons. I eat slower than anyone I know, read slower, and always got behind on schoolwork and on the job. But it's not because I daydream. It's because I'm too much of a perfectionist and always try to get stuff done exactly right. I've learned ways to get around a lot of my problems with perfectionism, but there are certain things I haven't been able to fix (like reading too slowly). I don't really have any advice for you, sorry. Daydreaming has never really been a problem for me.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
Me too...

I'm not suited to fast paced work unless I've been trained/know everything about that specific field/job. The times I've had to work in hospitality in several different venues was the worse. Each was very different but they all expected you to have trade-off skills from previous jobs which I didn't feel like I had since every one of those places was so different from each other.

They'd expect you to know where everything is/learn super fast without instruction on the first day and get frustrated if you were too slow... this one guy (management) at one place was biased towards female workers but claimed how everyone was family blahblahblah, and at another place I've been automatically disliked because of my quiet nature while washing dishes...

Some people just aren't suited towards fast-paced work especially if you have to learn on the go... I think people could cope with proper training and knowledge however but they don't get that during employment, small businesses (naturally) want you to be fast straight away (so they save money in hiring) which only some people can do off the bat.

I think the survivability also depends on other factors outside of your control as well, how well you're received by the majority/forgiveness from superiors or co-workers for mistakes + if they like your personality. Bias does really help honestly... at one of the places (although I had bad experiences there too), quite a few of the customers were very paternal/maternal and tipped me and even complimented my smile lol which is odd because one side of my teeth is flawed.

So I guess if you're slow, the only way to survive is if they like you/forgive you a lot x)

Sorry I know this doesn't help much...

I don't wanna exist

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

speed my priority

instant

no waiting

plan

execute

anything in my way: i get violent
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I also have a tendency to do stuff slowly and weirdly. A lot of stuff doesn't come intuitively to me, it's been suggested that I may have dyspraxia. Either way there's some kind of issue I have with both following instructions and motor coordination.

I also tend to daydream a lot, or get lost in my head, but often that's because whatever I'm doing is boring and I need more stimulation. If I'm out of the house, then I try to stay present and not drift off because being unaware can make anxiety worse.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 PM
SAS Member

!

I kind of relate to this in that I tend to triage things slower than most others. This has always been the case for me when it comes to things like exams and what have you.

I accept that I can be indecisive at times and it even annoys me but I'm just the type of person that needs confirmation for everything that I do.

I do not like taking risks. It's just how I'm built.

I don't daydream, however. Can't help with that.

I think even when I'm able to do things faster, half of the time I'm screwing up---which sucks---but I think that's the point. There's no other way to learn.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
I do things slowly too but not because of daydreaming. I'm not the slowest at work but it takes a lot of effort to keep up the pace because I'm slow at reading.

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 PM
SAS Member

I'm a bit slow at things, also due to perfectionism, but then I get another dose of anxiety and that usually speeds me along if I know people are watching. I do daydream a lot too, and I think that contributes to the slowness sometimes. I did have a friend once who did everything super slowly, and eventually I found out that she was diagnosed with major depression.

Possibly related but possibly not, I have these moments where everything appears to be moving incredibly fast, and I perceive myself as moving ridiculously slow, but in reality I think I'm moving at a regular pace and it's just some weird anxiety thing affecting perception.

"How could you tell if your instincts were just hope in disguise, and if your hope was really desperation parading as possibility?" ~Laini Taylor
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:15 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
Nah, I just have anxiety and everyone knows anxiety makes you lose common sense and makes you look ignorant.

I've been seeking happiness for years.
I've lived in hiding from the darkness.
I've spent so many hours in question.
I've prayed that God finds me soon.
Only to realize I must find myself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Permanently Banned

I'm slow because I ocd, perfectionism and gad
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page