A mate who isn't always a mate. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

A mate who isn't always a mate.

My only friend, but one I've known since 14 or 15. He suffers from mental problems and well... his girl girl friend too. They probably aren't exactly a good fit.
Anyway, my mate's got worse over the years. Has had ups and downs. Struggles with drugs (more than I realise, I think). Has no proper accommodation, no family left other than brothers he doesn't see.
He's tried to unite with his father he never knew growing up, didn't work out after a while, etc.

Anyway, I like to meet up, weekly if possible. However, this has become a struggle on his part. He keeps changing his phone number, weekly. He'll then go missing and re-appear by texting or phoning, rinse and re-repeat over and over, happening now for years really. We'll talk, say we'll meet and if we are lucky he'll actually stick to it. Many times, the plans don't happen. He'll say let's meet next week and I'll agree. I'll call on the day and the phone will be off, dead, or unanswered.

How to deal with this? It's really got frustrating. I enjoy going out once a week, but yea...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page