Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

New to this / Need advice.

726 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tmk1977 
#1 ·
Hello all :) I’m 21 years old and living with my parents at home while I finish nursing school. All in all my life has been good except for the last year or so. My parents have been fighting a lot and my mom suspected he is cheating but has no proof. My moms best friend is also the suspect in question of the person he’s cheating on her with. Also, they are always bashing each other not respecting each other and I have suggested multiple times for them to go to counseling or therapy together to see if it would help. My parents both refused because they are stubborn. My mom is usually coming from home and crying every other day and I am emotionally and mentally drained from seeing her cry all the time I don’t know what to do anymore or how to help. They both seem to despise one another but won’t talk to each other to resolve their problems. Going through anxiety and depression with your parents both fighting and having you in the middle takes a toll on me. I can’t give them any advice and I have no idea how to help them and I just needed to use this forum to vent and get ideas and help from one another. Thank you :)

#2 ·
Hi Noelle. Thanks for sharing these thoughts, and I'm sorry for what you are going through. :(

You may get better advice from others, but it might be recommendable to not focus on trying to fix this issue, and so accept their decision to be stubborn. Frustrating as it must be, they do both have to actively want to go therapy, which requires them to accept there is a problem. The positive is that you've (hopefully) made clear how this has affected you. With that been said, I think the best thing for you now would be to focus on yourself, and ensuring that you succeed through nursing school.

I wish you the best.

#3 ·
Noelle - I also grew up in a very similar "home." It can take a toll on you for sure! Please try to seek out support during this difficult time. Sometimes just talking to another person is helpful. Maybe even another family member that you can confide in may be able to help you. I am so sorry you are going through this. I am sending you positive vibes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.