Honoring your parents after... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Angry

Honoring your parents after...

In the shadow of my parents and their career, I have a lot of flaws. I don't think I grew up the perfect son as they would have wanted. I am 30 now and in my life I made a lot of mistakes. Addicted to computer games, postponing my education, I feel like a failure. Whenever I watch the success of my parents and feel their love and devotion towards me I feel ashamed. I feel like I could have done better with the life they gave me.

My father, 60 year old pilot captain went of with retirement today. In his career, everyone loved him, and threw him a bit party when he finished.

I do try to show appreciation of my parents when I can. I go home, spend time with them, cut the lawn, watch the house dog, do physical work around the house. I just don't feel satisfied doing so. I still feel they gave me too much and I can't return it. I tell my dad I'm proud of him. I tell my mother I love her.

Writing this I am drinking and felling a few tears. Tomorrow is another day at work and I'm just providing health care to old people. I'm in the national army. I try to improve my life. But I feel like a failure... Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 02:34 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight View Post
In the shadow of my parents and their career, I have a lot of flaws. I don't think I grew up the perfect son as they would have wanted. I am 30 now and in my life I made a lot of mistakes. Addicted to computer games, postponing my education, I feel like a failure. Whenever I watch the success of my parents and feel their love and devotion towards me I feel ashamed. I feel like I could have done better with the life they gave me.

My father, 60 year old pilot captain went of with retirement today. In his career, everyone loved him, and threw him a bit party when he finished.

I do try to show appreciation of my parents when I can. I go home, spend time with them, cut the lawn, watch the house dog, do physical work around the house. I just don't feel satisfied doing so. I still feel they gave me too much and I can't return it. I tell my dad I'm proud of him. I tell my mother I love her.

Writing this I am drinking and felling a few tears. Tomorrow is another day at work and I'm just providing health care to old people. I'm in the national army. I try to improve my life. But I feel like a failure... Thanks for reading.
That's the first post I read today - and I think it will probably be the best. What a lovely thing to see, someone talking so openly about loving their parents. I think you should be proud of yourself.

You don't sound like a failure to me at all - and I'm the same age as your father.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 03:49 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
This might be the most wholesome thing someone has posted here in a while. You do not sound like a failure to me.

Life's Wack

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 12:45 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Yeah just because you don't see yourself measuring up to your parents, it doesn't mean you're a failure. Don't let anyone tell you this. Because it's wrong.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
You might feel like a failure, but your parents are probably really proud of you without you even knowing! Sometimes, they might show it so openly, but they do care and love you. Remember, they don't want to raise you to be like them - they want to raise you to be like you. And with all you're doing, I'm sure that they're really proud that you're doing a really important job and serving your country. Keep your head up - you're doing a great job!x

<3
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 07:14 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
I was born with all my flaws. Thus, my parents have no reasonable grounds to complain. I should be able to sue them for defective software and hardware.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page