Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What hobby would you like to take up, but don't?

8K views 131 replies 68 participants last post by  Fixxer 
#1 ·
I've always kind of wanted to play a musical instrument, but never really have. My grandpa gave me a guitar once, and I never tried to play. If I lived alone I probably would. I just don't like making noise with people around.

The other hobby I'd like to try would be surfing. I'd love to live near the beach and be able to learn, I love the ocean.

#2 ·
Learning another language. Too embarrassed to sound out the words aloud even if I'm alone, and discouraged to get them wrong. It seems to be best if you have a native speaker to help you out and I'm too shy for that.

Various types of art...I've actually been trying digital art for a couple of years now but even though I've improved, nobody really notices it on any of the sites I post it, so that's pretty discouraging, too. I honestly thought if I got better at it, I'd be noticed. But that hasn't happened.

I tried to teach myself a bit of CSS since that seems to be overtaking regular HTML (the basics of which I also taught myself), but despite copying the code faithfully, I failed miserably at everything I tried. I guess my websites in the future will all look like suck. :sigh Doesn't matter so much, since nobody will look at them, I guess.

#48 ·
HTML and CSS do different things. HTML sets up the structure of the webpage, while CSS enchants it and styles it. You need both. Technically you don't need CSS, but it looks nicer.

If your text, whatever you write on this web-page was html, CSS would be the colour of the font, the size, and so on.

#5 ·
Nature photography. But I no longer trust my car enough to drive too far to scenic places to be able to do so.
Also thought of getting into kitesurfing for many years, since there are a few spots where I live that are very popular for it. But without anyone to do this with, I doubt I will ever be motivate to wanna try.

#11 ·
I'd like to be able to play an instrument but I don't know if I have any musical talent. When I was a teenager I practiced guitar all the time and never got good at playing. I still sometimes think about getting a synth.

I have zero interest in watching sports but like playing them. I'd like to play hockey again if it weren't so expensive and difficult to.

Nature photography. But I no longer trust my car enough to drive too far to scenic places to be able to do so.
Nature photography is something I've been interested in for a long time. I once bought a decent camera to try getting into it but I don't know how to take good pictures.

#8 ·
Like, millions.

Things I have repeatedly tried to teach myself but always abandon simply from lack of time: drawing, poetry, piano, French, math, programming, 3d modeling, web design, cooking. I tried to learn how to knit once, too, but I got teased pretty mercilessly.

I dabble in all sorts of things that I would love to spend more time on. And some things I wish I could learn but that I know I'd never be good at, like singing and dancing.

#10 ·
I tried to learn how to knit once, too, but I got teased pretty mercilessly.
My mother was a professional knitter, used to knit in her spare time while rearing children & sell the product to a company for extra money, I used to knit with her as a child but I was never near as good as her :lol... I never remember getting teased much about that, but I suppose not many knew about it.

#9 ·
Always liked photography & art, but my motivation is extremely bad.

#14 ·
Judo.

When I saw some kids do it in Japan I was incredibly impressed. You can do lots of neat flips and holds. But it seems really hard to go out there and find the time to join a school, if there is even a school out there for it.

Surfing as well. It would give me a reason to return to the beach, where I had some of my happiest moments when I lived in Perú.

#15 ·
Drones, woodworking, models (rockets and plastic models). I used to try to build plastic models but it never worked out too well because I couldn't really afford it and I was not good at figuring out cheap ways to do expensive things. And didn't know anyone who was better at it than I was who could teach me stuff.

I did try my hand at amateur astronomy but that's way expensive and frustrating (weather and travel and endless waiting for everything to be just so).

I could have probably been decent at building PCs and selling them but I didn't get in on it when it would have been very profitable and by the time it occurred to me it might be something that you could make money doing there were already a gazillion 13 year olds doing it way better than I could have.

I probably wouldn't mind messing around with cars and mechanical things but it would probably take me ages to figure it out and I doubt I'd ever be any good at it. I don't know that hiking is a hobby but it is something I always wanted to do but probably wouldn't mess with now because my health is not good and it would just be miserable fighting with my worn out body trying to make it do things it doesn't want to do. There are lots of things I'm peripherally interested in but mainly as curiosity and I'd rather watch someone who is good at it and can afford it doing it than blunder my way to some cheap imitation of it.

#26 ·
I've always kind of wanted to play a musical instrument, but never really have. My grandpa gave me a guitar once, and I never tried to play. If I lived alone I probably would. I just don't like making noise with people around.
Oh yeah. I forgot this one. I probably wouldn't mind learning guitar (I don't think I'd be very good at it though, TBH because I can't even type with my hands on the right keys :lol ). I was starting to learn the basics around 2005 when I had a friend who was showing me what he knew and I had bought the cheapest electric guitar I could find. But I stopped hanging out with him and went into hermiting and just never left my room again. :lol

I was actually learning relatively well (which surprised me because I thought it was more complicated than it was).

#29 ·
There's lots of things I'd like to do tbh or have done for a short while before, but I have no motivation. So then it's like 'do I actually like anything?' Especially since I don't necessarily like stuff I spend a lot of time doing. Threads like this give me an existential crisis apparently :/

#35 ·
I don't know if it technically counts, but I gave up playing the trumpet to focus on A-level exams and just.....haven't picked it up again since.

Ironically there are probably about a dozen orchestras and music groups at my university, but they all require auditioning and at this point I haven't played a single note in four years, not to mention having only reached grade 5 I'd feel 'inadequate' compared to what I imagine would be an entire grade 8 < brass section.

#38 ·
Reading.. I do read once in awhile but not as much as I'd like

Knitting .. Too time consuming and frustrating the last time I tried

Hiking .. Nobody to hike with and as a girl I feel too uncomfortable going alone

Local travels .. Nobody to go with, too many responsibilities at home with pets to care for waaah

#39 ·
Fixing stuff. Like computers, phones, old consoles and gameboy etc. For a while I've been wanting to find old furniture or random things that people throw in the garbage, stuff that could be fixed and resold. Not so much for profit but also to give something a longer purpose instead of just being tossed in a landfill.

I've also wanted to buy a kayak and go on the river and maybe do some fishing and stuff. Getting back close to nature like i used to do when i was a kid.

I have a guitar i've been meaning to learn to play but I havent touched it much yet.

Reading. I used to read a ton. I should get back to that.

#45 ·
I really want to go sailing, but it is out of my budget. I did purchase a very inexpensive trailer sailor a while back, but just never had the finances to fix it up, plus it requires a hefty vehicle to tow it around. I wanted to just muck about the coasts of Florida for a few days at a time and anchoring out at nights while sipping away at rum ,however, that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

It would be a great hobby though, just slowly drifting the water being gently pushed by the wind, staring out at the horizon while in deep thought about something or another. Eventually, getting to my destination, dropping anchor, close to shore, taking out a small computer alongside some rum mixed with cola and just sipping the night away. Alternatively, having a campfire out on one of the many sand islands here on the coast.

I do like watching videos on youtube, of people enjoying their time sailing. This guy right here makes some top quality ones, here is one of his latest videos:

Perhaps one day, just not anytime soon I'm afraid.. It is just too expensive of a hobby, even if I had my boat fixed I would need to dish out over $200 a month to a marina. Oh well, there are plenty of other hobbies out there, and other things to do in the meantime. Perhaps I'll just rent a sailboat for a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.