What hobby would you like to take up, but don't? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 04:45 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
My mother was a professional knitter, used to knit in her spare time while rearing children & sell the product to a company for extra money, I used to knit with her as a child but I was never near as good as her ... I never remember getting teased much about that, but I suppose not many knew about it.
Mine, too! My mother ran a yarn store out of our house and has always knit for the markets. Still does. I used to help her tidy the store up and do inventory and stuff when I was wee. I have two older brothers and an older sister; that's where the teasing came from.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Self isolating from self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Probably more like Rorschach if we're talking about DC comics he has the right amount of anger and personal baggage.

And then he gets to suicide by space-police/Dr Manhattan while pretending to stand by some moral ****.

is Aquawoman a vigilante? I don't know anything about her.
I think she's an elseworlds gender swap version of Aquaman, but you can be him instead if you'd prefer. As for being a vigilante, most superheroes are IMO. But that's okay. Be Rorschach. Enjoy your cold beans, and try to avoid floating blue guys that let everything hang out.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #23 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
I think she's an elseworlds gender swap version of Aquaman, but you can be him instead if you'd prefer. As for being a vigilante, most superheroes are IMO. But that's okay. Be Rorschach. Enjoy your cold beans, and try to avoid floating blue guys that let everything hang out.
I mean I'm not sure who I'd prefer to be, Rorschach just seemed the most realistic scenario irl and with my mental health issues :P I feel like I'd definitely be a villain though to be even more realistic (that's also my status right now.) But now I've gotten too dark/deep again so I will go eat some cold beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #24 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:08 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
sewing and crafting

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #25 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Only those worthy...

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Mine, too! My mother ran a yarn store out of our house and has always knit for the markets. Still does.
Freaky coincidence : /... My mother has worked in hotels for the past 15 years though & she's now at retiring age, but very healthy & doesn't wanna quit, I told her recently there's a market for her knitted stuff & she could sell it online, but she won't do it

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #26 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:36 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
I've always kind of wanted to play a musical instrument, but never really have. My grandpa gave me a guitar once, and I never tried to play. If I lived alone I probably would. I just don't like making noise with people around.
Oh yeah. I forgot this one. I probably wouldn't mind learning guitar (I don't think I'd be very good at it though, TBH because I can't even type with my hands on the right keys ). I was starting to learn the basics around 2005 when I had a friend who was showing me what he knew and I had bought the cheapest electric guitar I could find. But I stopped hanging out with him and went into hermiting and just never left my room again.

I was actually learning relatively well (which surprised me because I thought it was more complicated than it was).

/WYSD
post #27 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Barbells and kittens

I'd like to try boxing or some kind of martial arts. Would also like to learn more about working on cars so I could do more of the mods to mine myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #28 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Like, millions.

Things I have repeatedly tried to teach myself but always abandon simply from lack of time: piano, French, math, programming, 3d modeling, web design, cooking. I tried to learn how to knit once, too, but I got teased pretty mercilessly.

I dabble in all sorts of things that I would love to spend more time on. And some things I wish I could learn but that I know I'd never be good at, like singing and dancing.
Quote:
My mother was a professional knitter, used to knit in her spare time while rearing children & sell the product to a company for extra money, I used to knit with her as a child but I was never near as good as her ... I never remember getting teased much about that, but I suppose not many knew about it.
Quote:
Mine, too! My mother ran a yarn store out of our house and has always knit for the markets. Still does. I used to help her tidy the store up and do inventory and stuff when I was wee. I have two older brothers and an older sister; that's where the teasing came from.

Oddly enough, I learned to crochet pretty well when I was really young. I made everything out of granny squares though (and often they were asymmetrical). I also did those latch hook things.

/WYSD
post #29 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
There's lots of things I'd like to do tbh or have done for a short while before, but I have no motivation. So then it's like 'do I actually like anything?' Especially since I don't necessarily like stuff I spend a lot of time doing. Threads like this give me an existential crisis apparently :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #30 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

Quote:
Freaky coincidence : /... My mother has worked in hotels for the past 15 years though & she's now at retiring age, but very healthy & doesn't wanna quit, I told her recently there's a market for her knitted stuff & she could sell it online, but she won't do it
Is it the "old people are afraid of technology" thing? My mother has gotten good at shopping online, but she hasn't quite got to the point of selling online. Maybe I'll recommend it when I see them on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Oddly enough, I learned to crochet pretty well when I was really young. I made everything out of granny squares though (and often they were asymmetrical). I also did those latch hook things.
Omg, the latch hook kits! I loved those. The gateway drug to knitting. I never tried crochet. My ex was a huge knitter; she could have taught me all kinds of stuff. But I was still in the closet then.

post #31 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical

What hobby would you like to take up, but don't?

I think painting would be pretty cool, so too astronomy. I’m trying to pick up a bit of Spanish on Duolingo
post #32 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbre View Post
Nature photography is something I've been interested in for a long time. I once bought a decent camera to try getting into it but I don't know how to take good pictures.

I think it's mostly just motivation to commit and continue to trial and error. Eventually you will find a style you like and get good at it. And getting good pictures is also a bit subjective as well in a sense.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #33 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbre View Post
Nature photography is something I've been interested in for a long time. I once bought a decent camera to try getting into it but I don't know how to take good pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
I think it's mostly just motivation to commit and continue to trial and error. Eventually you will find a style you like and get good at it. And getting good pictures is also a bit subjective as well in a sense.
Actually, this kind of ties into the previous discussion about amateur astronomy because taking really good artistic photos often depends on a good basic understanding of optics in order to use manual settings artistically. Learning about telescopes can go hand in hand with understanding camera lenses (Even reflector telescopes work on the same basic principles as all lenses do). And also astrophotography and general photography also go hand in hand. If you can take good pictures of space, just about anything else should be a breeze.

/WYSD
post #34 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 03:37 AM
Only those worthy...

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Is it the "old people are afraid of technology" thing?
Yes, more or less, she's coming around to technology slowly though, and she also hates change, she's still stuck in the mindset she was 15 - 20 years ago when she was left as a single parent with 5 children & no money, so she won't take the chance, even though its not a chance & she's not in dire straits financially anymore so can do what she wants.

Quote:
My ex was a huge knitter; she could have taught me all kinds of stuff. But I was still in the closet then.
You didn't knit because you were in the closet ? Jeez I didn't realise you were repressing stuff this hard : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #35 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 05:35 AM
SAS Member

I don't know if it technically counts, but I gave up playing the trumpet to focus on A-level exams and just.....haven't picked it up again since.

Ironically there are probably about a dozen orchestras and music groups at my university, but they all require auditioning and at this point I haven't played a single note in four years, not to mention having only reached grade 5 I'd feel 'inadequate' compared to what I imagine would be an entire grade 8 < brass section.
post #36 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I'd love to keep a garden and brew beer at home, but I live in an apartment with no balcony and my life is a mess. I wouldn't know where to start.
post #37 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:47 AM
moth

Sewing. I hope at some point to buy a sewing machine! (now is a bad time as I will be moving soon and then I will have other priorities for a while)

i'm serious
post #38 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:52 AM
macaroni in a pot

Reading.. I do read once in awhile but not as much as I'd like

Knitting .. Too time consuming and frustrating the last time I tried

Hiking .. Nobody to hike with and as a girl I feel too uncomfortable going alone

Local travels .. Nobody to go with, too many responsibilities at home with pets to care for waaah
post #39 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
Fixing stuff. Like computers, phones, old consoles and gameboy etc. For a while I've been wanting to find old furniture or random things that people throw in the garbage, stuff that could be fixed and resold. Not so much for profit but also to give something a longer purpose instead of just being tossed in a landfill.

I've also wanted to buy a kayak and go on the river and maybe do some fishing and stuff. Getting back close to nature like i used to do when i was a kid.

I have a guitar i've been meaning to learn to play but I havent touched it much yet.

Reading. I used to read a ton. I should get back to that.

What is a man?
post #40 of 132 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

Quote:
You didn't knit because you were in the closet ? Jeez I didn't realise you were repressing stuff this hard : /
Gender dysphoria's a helluva ride.

I didn't allow myself to think about anything that would trigger dysphoria, so I didn't think about clothes, makeup, etc. It would just be a kick in the gut. Plus, I'm already fairly effeminate for a male, so people were already sort of suspicious about my "orientation". If I'd shown any interest in "female" things they probably would have thought I was gay. I had to work pretty hard to keep up my public identity as a straight cis dude. If I'd taken up knitting my gf would have dumped me. I was already on thin ice. Lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page