I would gaming

Have 100 video games , spent £3000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Worried
Tried horseback riding lessons a couple years ago. The price adds up on that. Golf as well can get expensive
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

I think the most expensive hobbies that I have is training. I love trying out new skills. There are some which are free, but most have fees that really cost my pocket. But I think it is an investment so it is okay.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 11:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingbee View Post
I think the most expensive hobbies that I have is training. I love trying out new skills. There are some which are free, but most have fees that really cost my pocket. But I think it is an investment so it is okay.

So what is the valuable training you have gotten? Or the training you have enjoyed the most?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Not really so much of a hobby (as pretty much everyone likes movies) but I would probably watch a lot more movies if I could afford it. And would likely either collect DVDs or Blu-Ray movies. I know it's kinda outdated in the internet age but there's nothing quite like owning a physical copy. Could be very expensive. I don't really do it though. I buy a movie every now and then. DVD isn't as much fun as it used to be since they don't load the discs down with extras like they used to.

/WYSD
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 AM
bipolar

Books (rare books) - I've spent a lot of money on books in the past.

Also just existing - being bipolar can be pretty expensive. I've spent eye-watering amounts on things like hotels and travel.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 AM
Born Of Blotmonaš

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 01:44 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Yeah, probably video games; but they've always been more of an obsession than a mere hobby. I've had NES, SNES, N64, Wii and Switch; Playstation 1, 2, 3 and 4; and a few different Gameboys. Plus at least 5-10 games for each system. And then four different gaming PCs I've built over the past few decades, plus all the games... I have almost 300 games in my Steam library alone, plus maybe 50ish non-Steam games. Plus subscriptions for games like World of Warcraft, on which I've probably spent thousands over the years.

I wonder how much it would all add up to... Tens of thousands of dollars, maybe, over the course of about three decades.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 02:12 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Owning a dog.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

Traveling! I'm waiting for the day I can fly freely again and set out on an adventure.

Cooking/baking can also get expensive sometimes.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 09:21 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish (kind of)
My Mood: Lonely
gaming...not only the games themselves but the hardware to play it with, my computer is honestly too expensive...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Orb
😷

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
Yeah, probably video games; but they've always been more of an obsession than a mere hobby. I've had NES, SNES, N64, Wii and Switch; Playstation 1, 2, 3 and 4; and a few different Gameboys. Plus at least 5-10 games for each system. And then four different gaming PCs I've built over the past few decades, plus all the games... I have almost 300 games in my Steam library alone, plus maybe 50ish non-Steam games. Plus subscriptions for games like World of Warcraft, on which I've probably spent thousands over the years.

I wonder how much it would all add up to... Tens of thousands of dollars, maybe, over the course of about three decades.
I'd be really similar both in terms of consoles/PCs owned (and built) and money spent. Easily tens of thousands lol. Add in a Genesis, Saturn instead of a NES and N64, plus a DS, minus the PS2 and Switch. Also I love retro handhelds like, like the Retroid Pocket 2. What was your favorite console?

And hey, a fellow C# coder

There's a third world, the world of objective contents of thoughts. Teilhard de Chardin calls this third world the "Neurosphere", that is, the world of the mind.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 10:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeLibrum View Post
Traveling! I'm waiting for the day I can fly freely again and set out on an adventure.
Dear God, don't tempt me, that sounds amazing. I would sacrifice my hypothetical future firstborn to Satan just to be able to hop on a plane and go somewhere right now.

I have to say, I'm pretty envious of you all. I don't think I've ever been in a place in my life where I could afford expensive hobbies. Hooray for student debt! And a social anxiety disorder that prevents me from being able to work full-time! The best I can do right now for non-essential purchases is splurging on cookies at the grocery store :P
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 03:35 PM
Mad Scientist

Games Workshop. And that's counting all the video games, whfb, 40k and the 500+ (mostly terrible) books over the years.

super chill and mentally ill.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 04:23 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Life.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 PM
Barbells and kittens

Gaming, powerlifting, reading and collecting books/audiobooks, collecting and customizing vehicles.

Been doing gaming the longest and have no idea what I've spent over the years. Started with NES in the 80's all the way to PS5 currently and had some of the more obscure consoles in between like Atari Jaguar.

Books probably haven't added up to a lot as I get most at used book sales. Have around 500 total. Lately with driving 2000-2500 miles weekly for work I've been going through a lot of audiobooks. Listened to about 80 last year.

Powerlifting since 2014, but taken a backseat lately due to working more hours and injury. Gym memberships, traveling for meets, eating more food than normal to keep weight up, etc can add up.

The last year or so my biggest money pit has been truck upgrades. Still got a big list of stuff I want to do when I can afford it, plus stuff for other vehicles, and other cars I'd like to buy. Wish I made like twice as much money.

Also have two large cats.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

Reading, probably. My home library is close to a thousand books, although at least half of them were second hand or clearance and I've been collecting for about twenty years. And the bookcases they sit on were a few hundred dollars total.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2021, 01:36 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolLilChickadee View Post
Reading, probably. My home library is close to a thousand books, although at least half of them were second hand or clearance and I've been collecting for about twenty years. And the bookcases they sit on were a few hundred dollars total.
Oh yes I love the Library. To bad they have been closed where I live since March due to Covid. One of the things I will enjoy when they finally open back up.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2021, 02:24 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Cheerful
My hobbies are not really expensive, not for me at any rate. The total costs of my hobbies since December of 2019 have been well below $1,000 USD, I find ways to enjoy them without expending money. When I do spend money on hobbies, such money spent will last me for years. I often feel guilty about bragging about things I enjoy, when such things become expensive - the things I spend money on are often done so when there is a deal, and they are rare or purchases I made before they became popular. I have the benefit of age on my side when it comes to hobbies, there is an accumulation that favors me and an appreciation on my own part, for what I do have. One thing that does bother me, is that people that eventually find enjoyment of the things I do, drive up the costs.. lol.. Usually, this demand is driven through some social media platform or another, and people flock to it like crazy. Oh well, I just move on. I usually find my hobbies, before they become mainstream.

I would never spend beyond my reach and at the expense of my loved ones for my hobbies. I remember a time, in the 90s when I was collecting old computers, because I thought they were cool, and I could do so at an outrageously cheap price. Now the things I bought then, are going for hundreds if not thousands of dollars, it is pretty crazy. When things go that out of hand, I find ways around them.. I try to convince others to do so as well. My hobbies, are not the result of popularity, which ultimately results in my favor. The thing that is funny, is eventually, the things I am interested in, do become popular and expensive though.

(つ 𓎟)つ┳━┳
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2021, 04:41 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
The only thing I've really spent a lot of money on is books. I own probably close to 1,500 (idrk). Most of them are secondhand, many of them I got for $1 in bargain bins (some of them I got for free, with the covers ripped off). But some of them were more expensive (like my programming books, which I bought when I had a regular job). Altogether, I've spent probably over $10,000 on books. But that's over a period of close to 40 years. For the last few years, I've only been able to spend about $100 a year on books. And I have to cut back even more.

Most of my books aren't really worth anything. If I sold my most valuable books, I'd probably only make a couple hundred dollars. The rest would have to be recycled.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page