Do You Like To Cook? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Horny Lesbian not villain

Do You Like To Cook?

I love food, and I enjoy what I call "cooking" -- but what I call "cooking" is more like mixing and matching various pre-prepared ingredients from my refrigerator and freezer to make my own bespoke supermarket easy meals.

For example: yesterday evening I had a sensationally delicious vegetarian cheese, leek, and potato pie from my fridge, served with a combination of oven chips and parsnips that are pre-prepared to be very much like chips -- both from my freezer -- as well as quite a lot of pre-prepared sweetcorn, also from my freezer. I added a dollop of English mustard alongside the chips and the parsnips.

The meal was lovely. I was especially happy about how nice the vegetarian pie was, which I felt was not lacking in anything even though it had no meat in it. There was a lot of veg and the cheese sauce was gorgeous!

Do SAS members like to cook? And if they do like to cook, what do they cook -- and what do they mean by "cooking"? Are there any people here who are preparing food in their kitchens like restaurant chefs?

Anyone can reply to this thread, regardless of their level of confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 06:06 PM
Failure's Art

Its not that I don't like to cook I don't know how and I don't really have the time to learn. I've never even used the stove or oven in my apartment, I just use the microwave or the toaster oven. A decent meal for me is like salmon or some other kind of fish or maybe chicken cooked in the toaster oven and then instant rice made in the microwave and a salad. That's the extent of my cooking. And that's on a night I actually "cook", a lot of the time I just eat frozen dinners or terrible canned meals like chef boyardee. I don't even know how to use a frying pan lol. I tried to make a hamburger patty once but grease started flying everywhere and got all over. So now I just stick to the toaster oven.

Yea I really need to learn how to cook.

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
I really really don't like cooking. I tend to eat the same stuff during the day, then do through phases of evening meals, which I repeat over and over until I get sick of it, then I make a new one. It's something I really need to work on as its not the healthiest thing.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 06:43 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I like to eat. Cooking (in some form) is kind of a prerequisite for eating. I would say that I enjoy having complete control over what I eat but kind of just endure the process of making that happen. Don't love it and don't hate it.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 07:34 PM
SAS Member

I do not. It feels like drudgery. I like big batches of food so that I have leftovers on hand for several meals and I don't have to plan.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 03:30 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
No, I don't like cooking. For a variety of reasons. Partly because I have a lot of trouble following recipes. I tend to get confused by stuff like that. Partly because I have no money, so I can't afford to buy the ingredients. And partly because I don't have time to cook. Or even to learn how to cook. There's also no room in my kitchen to prepare a big meal. I have counter space real estate about the size of a placemat.

I think the most complicated meals I've ever prepared have been stir fries and casseroles, but I don't consider that real cooking. They're just hot salads. Real cooking, to me, is when you have to do things a particular way, in different stages, to get an edible result. As opposed to just throwing a bunch of things in a dish and stirring.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 04:13 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I like cooking -- although nothing fancy! So I guess some people might not consider what I like to do "cooking." I don't care about 'presentation' or whatever. More homestyle cooking, I suppose.

I love making homemade jambalaya; it takes like an hour to make but is totally worth it. I also love stir fries with various ingredients, and other Asian meals like beef bowls. Japanese-style curry rice was one of my old favorites, though I haven't made it in like a year now... I've made lots of casseroles: cream of chicken casserole, enchilada casserole, pizza casserole, layered Dorito casserole... A recent favorite would be Ikea's frozen meatballs with homemade sauce, mostly following their recipe although I don't add the Dijon because my mom hates mustard.

I like experimenting with simple stuff too -- changing a recipe slightly and tasting how it turns out. I love thyme on my burgers, for instance. This year I discovered toasted ciabatta rolls for my burgers -- so good! And I play around with instant ramen "hacks" all the time.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 01:28 PM
insert witty comment here

I took up cooking during the lockdown.

For instance: Before the lockdown, I would often make chili. I would buy fresh ground beff, fry it and then add a pack of ready made chili spices + the amount of water the spice mix calls for. Done.

Now, I fry the beef, then I add a couple of cans of tomatoes and then I add all of the spices myself. I think it is round about 8 different ones.

I also bake my own bread now (white bread only though, no sour dough), I only ever make pasta sauces myself from fresh tomatoes now, I make lasagna with 3 cheeses from scratch etc.

I quite enjoy cooking now, actually.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 01:45 PM
SAS Member

I really enjoy the process of cooking and, of course, eating. I don't think I'm great at it, probably not even good, and I'm not too knowledgeable I'm usually like "I want to try and make this." I look online for recipes, get the ingredients, then try to make it. I try to make everything from scratch, which makes things more difficulty, but I like the challenge.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 01:49 PM
bipolar

I'm not sure I'd say I actually enjoy it - I did it for years for my family, but I'm not very good at it. Nowadays I often do what you do OP - I'll have some frozen things that I'll combine with whatever else I feel like. I can actually make some things - it's just sort of boring and a bit tiresome - especially if it's just for myself.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
I really really don't like cooking. I tend to eat the same stuff during the day, then do through phases of evening meals, which I repeat over and over until I get sick of it, then I make a new one. It's something I really need to work on as its not the healthiest thing.
This is me exactly. Do you also get to the point it takes forever to choke something down because you've been eating it every day for like five months straight, but you keep eating it every day because you don't know what to switch to yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
This is me exactly. Do you also get to the point it takes forever to choke something down because you've been eating it every day for like five months straight, but you keep eating it every day because you don't know what to switch to yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hah, yes. I actually have a few meals I could cook now, but I ended up sticking with each one for so long I hate them. If I had changed my meals earlier I could have had a nice rotation.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 02:17 PM
insert witty comment here

Here are a couple of youtube channels that I used during the lockdown.

Anyone else use youtube for recipes?

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Hah, yes. I actually have a few meals I could cook now, but I ended up sticking with each one for so long I hate them. If I had changed my meals earlier I could have had a nice rotation.
Yeah, once I really hate a food I have a hard time eating it again even after a long time off. I need to come up with a good rotation myself. I put figuring out new stuff off and then when I get to the store on the weekend I end up going with the same things again for the next week.

It's a vicious cycle. Been doing it for a couple months now with a sandwich switching sauces and cheeses trying to put off being totally disgusted with it. I was eating it when I passed a certain highway exit towards the end of my work night and now I'm eating it two exits before that because I was starting to not be done eating by the time I got to the fuel station.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:48 AM
macaroni in a pot

Nope. I am the worse cook. Even when I follow directions somehow my food comes out bad. I can cook a few things but I'd really rather not.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:04 AM
SAS Member

Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies! I'm an adventurous eater so I'll basically cook up anything I want. I always look forward to trying new/challenging recipes, scouring my local farmers' market for interesting ingredients, and sharing my creations with family/friends. It's a great way to exercise my creative side. My girlfriend loves to cook to so it's an opportunity to spend more quality time with her! Also, even if the recipe is time intensive, I get to enjoy my dishes at the end and brainstorm ways to improve my recipes.

I think it's important to learn the basics and try out recipes as written. When you get comfortable, you can start to add your own twist to things and sometimes even just throw ingredients together.

Below:
  • sourdough flatbread (made a starter during the pandemic like a lot of other people) with local tiger figs, prosciutto, arugula
  • shrimp/chicken/chorizo paella
  • pork/veggie meat pie with dipping sauce
  • sour cherry, pistachio, and raisin sourdough
Attached Thumbnails
food.jpg  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM
SAS Member

Yes, I like to cook. The only downsides are going out to buy all the ingredients and washing dishes. I go through phases of cooking frequently and then buying ready-made meals when I get lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Here are a couple of youtube channels that I used during the lockdown.

Anyone else use youtube for recipes?

I love chef John 🙂 I've tried this lasagna recipe.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 AM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
No I really don't and as other posters have mentioned I tend to also cook the same things repeatedly so as to not have to think about it too much. And it's really weird tbh because I'm still cooking so why not do something different but I suppose it's like I can do certain things on autopilot and dissociate while I'm cooking because I hate cooking. Researching recipes etc I just no, and I lost any motivation for doing that a long time ago now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
I'm terrified of cooking, of burning myself or setting something on fire. :/
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 AM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

Yes, but making sure I have everything I need can be hard if I can’t go to the supermarket often enough. I like finding new things to cook, but I haven’t made most of what I’ve found yet.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page