post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Any One Had Wild camping experience ?

Any One Had Wild camping experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 05:56 PM
bipolar

I only had one camping experience a very long time ago with my German gf. She was into all that sort of stuff - even did mountain climbing. (for God's sake) I slept in a tent with her for one night and it hurt my back so in the morning I said we're never doing that again and we went to a hotel.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Failure's Art

I did get lost in the woods once while camping. I was pretty drunk and went into the woods to get some more firewood for the bonfire. I ended up getting all turned around and couldn't see the bonfire anymore and had no idea where I was or which direction I was facing. I had a flashlight but there wasn't a trail or anything to follow. I was an inexperienced camper and didn't realize that at night in the woods with just a flashlight you can only see 5 feet in front of you and everything looks exactly the same. It didn't help that I was drunk too. I tried for a while to find my way back but couldn't so eventually I swallowed my pride and started yelling for help and my friends came into the woods and got me. I wasn't too far from the campsite thankfully.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 PM
SAS Member

Nothing too crazy. Went camping a lot as a child, but only once as an adult. Met up with some friends at a campground years ago. We all got really, really stoned and ate a bunch of hot dogs and s'mores around the campfire, then froze in our tents all night because none of us brought enough layers of clothes or blankets to keep warm.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 03:05 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Went on a brief after dinner hike and it was summer, so the sun doesn't set for another 2 hours after dinner. On our way back, we took a different trail as a shortcut. But unfortunately we realize a part of the trail was gone due to a recent storm and we tried to backtrack. We lost track of time and it got pitch black quickly after sunset. And we couldn't find our way back as we ended up losing the trail. All of our flashlights were nearly out except for this one hand crank flashlight my friend had, which only lit up for 5 seconds for every 1 minute he cranked it. Wondered in pitch black for another hour until we decided to just stay put underneath this one tree until sunrises again. The entire time, we could hear a few animals stalking us but we couldn't see what. The whole time we sat under the tree, we were praying they were little coyotes and not wolves or bears. It got cold extreme fast and only I wore enough layers and a jacket. Everyone else didn't and they were sneezing and shivering. But because I was selfish, I kept my mouth shut and figured they couldn't see how bundled up I was in the dark. I'm horrible.

Sun rose and we quickly try to find our way back out. Literally about 5-10 minutes of walking, we suddenly spot the parking lot of our campsite. We realize the entire time, we were just camping outside under a random tree when we're literally right near our very campsite. Stupid us. Later on, we found out another guy in the group had 3 jackets and thermal outfits stuffed inside his backpack which he also didn't share, but for some reason he just wore a short sleeve tee shirt the entire time. So I realize at least I wasn't the only horrible selfish person in the group.

Also when we returned to camp completely weary and exhausted, we realize a black bear attacked and broke into our tent. Apparently short sleeve tee shirt guy above left a bag of candy inside the tent which we were suppose to lock up. So the park ranger fined us about $1000 of the violation and the damage the bear caused. Also scolded us that they now have to go after that black bear and euthanized is thanks to us.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2020, 04:29 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Went on a brief after dinner hike and it was summer, so the sun doesn't set for another 2 hours after dinner. On our way back, we took a different trail as a shortcut. But unfortunately we realize a part of the trail was gone due to a recent storm and we tried to backtrack. We lost track of time and it got pitch black quickly after sunset. And we couldn't find our way back as we ended up losing the trail. All of our flashlights were nearly out except for this one hand crank flashlight my friend had, which only lit up for 5 seconds for every 1 minute he cranked it. Wondered in pitch black for another hour until we decided to just stay put underneath this one tree until sunrises again. The entire time, we could hear a few animals stalking us but we couldn't see what. The whole time we sat under the tree, we were praying they were little coyotes and not wolves or bears. It got cold extreme fast and only I wore enough layers and a jacket. Everyone else didn't and they were sneezing and shivering. But because I was selfish, I kept my mouth shut and figured they couldn't see how bundled up I was in the dark. I'm horrible.

Sun rose and we quickly try to find our way back out. Literally about 5-10 minutes of walking, we suddenly spot the parking lot of our campsite. We realize the entire time, we were just camping outside under a random tree when we're literally right near our very campsite. Stupid us. Later on, we found out another guy in the group had 3 jackets and thermal outfits stuffed inside his backpack which he also didn't share, but for some reason he just wore a short sleeve tee shirt the entire time. So I realize at least I wasn't the only horrible selfish person in the group.

Also when we returned to camp completely weary and exhausted, we realize a black bear attacked and broke into our tent. Apparently short sleeve tee shirt guy above left a bag of candy inside the tent which we were suppose to lock up. So the park ranger fined us about $1000 of the violation and the damage the bear caused. Also scolded us that they now have to go after that black bear and euthanized is thanks to us.
Great story - and yes, I think we can all agree - you are indeed a terrible person. (just kidding)

Actually for some reason that made me remember another revolting camping experience I had. I must have been 17 and I agreed to go to Fraser Island with mad Kelly Fraser from the kitchen at the big private hospital I was working in at the time. We drove up there in his 4WD. (also revolting)

I can't actually remember if we slept in a tent or outside on the beach but in the morning there were paw prints around our campsite - I think I found out later there are dingoes up there. (and also wild horses) Jesus Christ I hate camping. Why anyone would willingly stay at a level that's worse than where they live is beyond me.

Also, that reminds me - that German girl used to want me to go mountain climbing with her and her friends. I remember asking her one time what on earth I was supposed to do while they were all busy climbing mountains and she said you can just stay with the other wives. Fantastic.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 01:19 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post

I can't actually remember if we slept in a tent or outside on the beach but in the morning there were paw prints around our campsite - I think I found out later there are dingoes up there. (and also wild horses) Jesus Christ I hate camping. Why anyone would willingly stay at a level that's worse than where they live is beyond me.

I never liked camping much strictly with the sleeping in tent part. Everything else I do like. Ideal for me is once it's time to sleep, I go to a motel or inn or something.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 01:46 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
As an 11 year old, I had a wild camping experience as in "rolling down the side of a mountain with my leg on fire" wild. That's the kind of wild camping experience you really don't want to have. And it's memorable for all the wrong reasons.

/WYSD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Happy
Yes, I regularly go camping with my partner. It's pretty comfortable these days, you can get some really good quality sleeping mats, bags and pillows and good tents. The gear I have packs down nice and small and light, it fits on the back of the motorbike and off I go!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 09:16 PM
SAS Member

Yep. Woke up surrounded by bulls. No kidding =)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2021, 08:03 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
I've decided I prefer car camping. Why make it all so complicated with a tent and air mattress and such when a reclined car seat is more comfortable, especially if you put a sleeping bag on it.

Social Anxiety Game | Audio Dramas | Mining Accident Theater

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 10:44 AM
Orb
😷

Yeah in my teens a friend and I while camping got invited into an all-girl tent for...fun and games.

There's a third world, the world of objective contents of thoughts. Teilhard de Chardin calls this third world the "Neurosphere", that is, the world of the mind.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 10:15 AM
SAS Member

I've not done wild camping as such, the closest was probably while I was in South Africa, we had turns sleeping on a wooden platform built on a large tree and took turns keeping watch for an hour for poachers. Got a mild spook by the Giraffe creeping up to say hello bellow us.

My accommodation at the main camp was called the "wildlife cabin" as it was one of their older rickety cabins which housed bats, frogs, spiders, skinks, geckos and millipedes. Quite often we'd have to check our beds for creepy crawlies before going to sleep and check your shoes in the morning for invaders. The frogs occasionally made their way into the footwear, but thankfully didn't have any scorpion or snake encounters, which were possibilities.

Check out my sites...

PHOTOGRAPHY
www.catreadphotography.weebly.com

Reptiles as Pets
www.reptile-savvy.weebly.com
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 11:53 AM
waiting to bloom

not really but I agree that sleeping in a tent isn't too comfortable. give me a normal bed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page