What are some things that you're doing to treat your SA? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyblade Master

My Mood: Tired

What are some things that you're doing to treat your SA?

What are you doing that pushes you out of your comfort zone and is helping you with your recovery? This includes little things like saying "hi" to a stranger everyday.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move this if it's more appropriate elsewhere.

I'll start.

I'm seeing a therapist every week, and I have been trying different meds out over the past year. I've been more independent. I used to ask my dad to make appointments for me, and he would drive me everywhere because I was too scared. I finally got past these things over time, and I now make most of my appointments on my own and drive myself everywhere. I've been posting my opinion on SAS more which is something I was afraid to do before. I just signed up for this 6 week anxiety workshop that starts next month, and I'm hoping that'll help as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM
That painting on the wall

My Mood: Mellow
. Being here.
. Taking small practical steps when it comes to work. Doing it all one step at a time. It's more of 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. But moving along slowly but surely.
. Actively nurturing current relationships. I'm not always consistent, though.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Je veux creuver la main sur le coeur...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
~ Trusting in God
~ Practicing driving
~ Working
~ Talking to coworkers a little
~ Trying to go to more "social" events
~ Youtube vids

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM
SAS Member

- I've started a 12-to-16-week (weekly one-on-one sessions) 'interpersonal psychotherapy' regimen (which is meant to improve upon relationships and address social anxiety as a means to alleviate depression).

- I attend a weekly 'open peer support group' (it's ongoing and no-referral/drop-in, so the participants vary week-to-week).

- I am avoiding less often (I take care of my own day-to-day affairs like groceries or banking, etc., and I take advantage of most family social invitations).

- I am more open about my struggles with more people (some members of my extended family are now fully familiar with my problems, so with them, I feel less pressure to be something I'm not).

Beyond that, I see a counselor regularly, and I'm on wait lists for two other groups (a 'CBT for Depression' group and some 'mental wellness' peer group tentatively scheduled to start in the fall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfairy View Post
I just signed up for this 6 week anxiety workshop that starts next month, and I'm hoping that'll help as well.
Good luck with that

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
Slathering my naked body in honey and hanging around the local nightclub.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Tired

Language: English
-Seeing a psychologist once a week, talk based therapy.
-Doing exposure exercises daily (or at least *something* outside my comfort zone)
-Generally trying to take any resources available to me that include things like groups
-Keeping to my schedule which includes stuff like swimming and gym which force me to be around people and sometimes interact

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Ranger of the Fey

My Mood: Pensive
Honestly, just being here tbh. I can kinda talk about anything without it being face to face or fear of eing criticized in a way that would actually affect me

~All that I can't ignore alone at night~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Pseudo-omniscient

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
- I've started a 12-to-16-week (weekly one-on-one sessions) 'interpersonal psychotherapy' regimen (which is meant to improve upon relationships and address social anxiety as a means to alleviate depression).

- I attend a weekly 'open peer support group' (it's ongoing and no-referral/drop-in, so the participants vary week-to-week).

- I am avoiding less often (I take care of my own day-to-day affairs like groceries or banking, etc., and I take advantage of most family social invitations).

- I am more open about my struggles with more people (some members of my extended family are now fully familiar with my problems, so with them, I feel less pressure to be something I'm not).

Beyond that, I see a counselor regularly, and I'm on wait lists for two other groups (a 'CBT for Depression' group and some 'mental wellness' peer group tentatively scheduled to start in the fall).
Wow, you're really all in on treating your SA, huh? Do you think these things are helping so far? If so, which seems to help the most, if you can tell?

I'm not really doing anything on purpose to treat my SA, except taking anxiety supplements. I'm forced to interact with customers at my job at times, and I'm forced to ask for help/ask questions at work. But I feel like I go in circles with stuff like that, like "exposure therapy" and CBT just do not help me with any of these types of things--it's constantly anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about...and on and on. The supplements tend to help with things like pre-event symptoms, and how I react in and to these situations and their outcomes, though, even if the outcomes are embarrassing or otherwise bad.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTech View Post
I'm not really doing anything on purpose to treat my SA, except taking anxiety supplements. I'm forced to interact with customers at my job at times, and I'm forced to ask for help/ask questions at work. But I feel like I go in circles with stuff like that, like "exposure therapy" and CBT just do not help me with any of these types of things--it's constantly anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about talking to customers-->try to avoid-->forced to talk to customers-->anxiety about...and on and on.
Have you done actual therapist-guided exposure therapy?

I seem to recall its success rate being quoted as 65-80%? Something like that. (Whatever "success" is measured as.) Some of it will depend on the quality of treatment being received.

Quote:
Wow, you're really all in on treating your SA, huh?
Umm, yes. It took bottoming out (twice) before I got to this point, the first time being an involuntary inpatient stay for three weeks last year.

Being in the hospital forcefully exposed me to things that I'd have likely never done otherwise: Therapy sessions with more than one doctor/counselor present, sessions with a medical student present, sessions with a same-aged doctor/counselor, group therapy of any kind...

They set me up with outpatient treatment that started shortly after discharge which, while being very difficult to bring myself to attend, I followed up on. That was 13 months ago.

Earlier this year, I started sliding again and avoiding treatment. What set me straight was (again) bottoming out, this time at a Mexican resort (I was grudgingly there for my sister's destination wedding, and it went very badly for me). When I came home, and with the help of family and my doctor (who, fortunately, takes me very seriously), I got back into it.

Quote:
Do you think these things are helping so far?
I think for me, just being actively in treatment (in and of itself) has a 'helping' effect. It's the only environment I feel OK in (where I don't feel I have to suppress myself or 'wear a mask'). It's a positive thing, so every time I attend a session, it's like I'm being given an 'injection of positivity'.

Taking what I learn through treatment and applying it in the real world, though... That's a whole other issue and challenge. My family tells me they've noticed improvements, though, and I have as well in some ways. For me, this has been a problem for 20+ years, so I try to keep in mind that I have to be patient with myself and give myself credit for steps I've made.

Quote:
If so, which seems to help the most, if you can tell?
The peer support group comes to mind. So far, I think it's helped me stay in 'treatment mode'. Whereas a lot of treatment is time-limited and requires you to sit on wait lists for long periods of time, this group is weekly, ongoing, and always available -- maybe making me less prone to avoidance?

As far as techniques, I go to general pointers that I've learned along the way. Some of them fall under CBT while others I've picked up through advice from counselors or other patients or elsewhere.

Different techniques will work (or not) for different people. These are just some pointers that have helped me at times when facing stressful situations or trying to counter negative thinking:

- "Don't hog the spotlight..." With anxiety, our focus is on ourselves. Put the spotlight on the other person instead, and see what you can learn about them. This doesn't even necessarily entail talking to people. You could be in a group or a crowd and observe other people from a distance. Whether you're in a conversation or just among others, put your focus on someone else (and actively try to learn something about them) as a means to get yourself out of your own mind.

- Our flaws are what make us human. Allow yourself to screw up and make mistakes (even intentionally). There is a vulnerability in that, and it makes us more approachable and 'open' compared to perfection(ism) which can be intimidating and off-putting to others.

- "If only we could see ourselves the way others see us." Have you ever seen or heard someone rail away on themselves and thought, "Dude, there's nothing wrong with you." We are our own worst critics.

- If you're feeling on the outs or like you're getting the cold shoulder from someone, then look at the situation from their perspective. Anxiety can be perceived as guardedness, coldness, an unwillingness to be open with others, lack of interest, etc. Depression can be perceived as disinterest, anger, hate, rejection, a desire to leave the situation, etc. The problem isn't you; it's your anxiety and low mood, and those things do not define you.

- Appearances don't always represent reality. We can have a way of putting other people on a pedestal, but even people who seem very well connected with others or like they have a great social life, etc. can be struggling with low mood, loneliness, anxiety... Personally, I put on a mask and go through great effort to hide my problems from others. Other people do the same. Everyone is struggling with something. Take them off the pedestal.

- 'Gathering evidence': Think about positive things people have said or done to you in the past, how others have expressed their support for you or gone out of their way to include you, etc. Think about compliments you've received, or people who have expressed a romantic interest towards you... These things are evidence against those negative thoughts swirling around in your mind.

- Train yourself to 'be in the moment': 'Mindfulness' - If you've never heard of it, Google it, and find a technique that works for you, even if only for a few seconds at a time.

- If you're faced with a stressor and feel the urge to avoid, then challenge that urge by asking yourself questions like, "What's the worst case scenario here?" "What about the best case scenario?" "What's the most likely outcome of this situation?" "What would I advise a friend if they were faced with this situation?" (stop the self-talk, and talk to 'your friend' instead)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Pseudo-omniscient

My Mood: Bored
Thank you for the great effort you put into writing this response and for sharing your experiences. Very well-written.

Quote:
- "If only we could see ourselves the way others see us." Have you ever seen or heard someone rail away on themselves and thought, "Dude, there's nothing wrong with you." We are our own worst critics.
Yep. Have even seen/done that here.

Quote:
- If you're feeling on the outs or like you're getting the cold shoulder from someone, then look at the situation from their perspective. Anxiety can be perceived as guardedness, coldness, an unwillingness to be open with others, lack of interest, etc. Depression can be perceived as disinterest, anger, hate, rejection, a desire to leave the situation, etc. The problem isn't you; it's your anxiety and low mood, and those things do not define you.
I've been noticing lately that, except for my mother, everyone I've encountered or observed [on TV or in person, not necessarily here] whom I think has anxiety issues has been utterly unlikable [to me, and I do have to say it's very easy for me to dislike someone...but still, I do think a lot of us give bad impressions to people who don't know us well]. That is not a good realization when you also have that issue, lol. I do have a pretty good idea of how I come off to other people because several have told me since high school. But, for example, I watch this show on TLC called "I Am Jazz" about this transgendered teenager, and she comes off as arrogant, at best, and just not likeable to me...but they have talked about her having anxiety in social situations. In fact, a couple of the recent episodes were very interesting in that regard. It's interesting to have that front-row seat with someone else.

Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page