Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What about yourself do you feel confident about?

4K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  PandaBearx 
#1 ·
A feel go thread

I would say
My ability of numbers

#8 ·
I'm very confident (probably ironically for this site) in the knowledge that I will always be able to think of something to say. It's just not possible for me not to. (just ask my wife)

I'm very good at talking to people, making them feel at ease, making them laugh etc.

That has never factored into my social anxiety - other things do.

Can also be quite determined if I really want something. Like when I wanted my degree - it took me 3 years just to start it but I got there eventually. I have to really want it though.

#9 ·
I'm stubbornly persistent when I really want something, to the point I may even take the plunge to do something that I normally wouldn't because of SA

#16 ·
Nothing.

I used to think I was empathetic but that's kind of a joke now really, since I've (arguably) been the main reason for someone's (natural) death 6 years ago, so no. I'm not confident about anything.

#17 ·
I know I can write relatively well, and I can be a good person to talk to if you're having an emotional crisis. But I'm not good enough at either of those to make any money from them, so the things I'm best at I'm not good enough at to be competitive and my weaknesses put me well below average. So I'm also confident I'm going to die penniless in a gutter.

#18 ·
I'm confident that I'm becoming less rigid and cynical, more open and empathetic as I grow older. It's a constant internal struggle but I'm relieved to realise I'm unlikely to end up a bitter ideologue. That particular abyss is not going anywhere but at least now I'm alert to its existence.

#19 ·
I’m good at academics, I don’t think that there’s anything that I can’t understand if I put my mind to it. Really I don’t think that there’s anything that I can’t do (within reason) besides communicate like a socially competent human (I am almost hopeless on this point).

#25 ·
My persistence. If I really want something pretty much nothing can stop me from going after it but myself. Sometimes I don't know when to quit though. If I find something I really like and isn't just another distraction to me I'll pour everything I have into it but again sometimes it's too much and I get burnt out.

I could really work on finding balance in the things I choose to do.

I've been told by several therapists over the years that I'm insightful

Creative

And even though I've gone to the last shred of hope at times I never give up

#28 · (Edited)
I'm gonna change my answer to everything and nothing. I think true confidence comes from a place of acceptance rather than thinking of things you feel confident about. When you are confident in doing something you are not thinking about what you're doing, you just do it. It's almost as if it's not you who is doing, you lose the overwhelming sense of self-consciousness, you lose "yourself" in what you are doing.

Edit: For instance, if when walking you're thinking about how you're walking, you are self-conscious about how you're walking. When you allow your natural confidence to surface you are just walking.

So true confidence in oneself would be self-aware but not self-conscious. You wouldn't need to think about yourself, you would do. You would just do you.

"There is no try, only do or do not." - Yoda 😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.