Tired of being a doormat - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Social Virgin

Talking

Tired of being a doormat

I used to try to overcome adversity with positivity, but it never panned out. People would think that I'm a nerd or loser, and I'd bend over backwards helping them with stuff, hoping that I could become a better person and show them that I'm not so bad. I'd do like 80% of assignments and errands that weren't even mine. I spent a year squeezing positivity out like a sponge (e.g. giving up seats, giving other people my stuff, tutoring my classmates for free, etc.), not counting all the "free lunches" that I gave people in the past. And then people turned around and laughed at me behind my back (confirmed).

I've come to just accept that people are gonna people. It doesn't matter what you say, think, or do, people are just going to go on with their lives.

It feels good that I'm finally being real with myself. I don't have to have any unrealistic hopes or expectations anymore.

I'm going to stand up for myself a lot more. I don't care if people think I'm a nerd, loser, or if they get salty, or whatever. It's about time that I got my own back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Permanently Banned

Being positive isn't being a doormat. Being a doormat is being unassertive. People will take advantage of you whenever you let them. It's good you plan on being more assertive.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

Good luck with that!

And just remember, if it doesn't feel right to you, say something. I know it's hard but even "f**K no" works.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM

My Mood: Amused
you have a choice...to put others first or put yourself first...if you put yourself first then the rest will follow!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page