Something good that happened today - Page 50 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #981 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
Awesome that you saw your boy.

That election was interesting.
Yes it was good to see him mate - he gave me a big long hug when he left too which was nice. It's so funny hugging him now because he's a lot bigger than he used to be.

Yes, I was disappointed - I don't like the Liberals in general. Morrison ran a very strong campaign which people basically believed - that Labour would raise taxes and they shouldn't risk it. Plus Clive Palmer spent a fortune on ads running Shorten down all the time - which also probably worked. Bit of a shame - but negative campaigns work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #982 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yes it was good to see him mate - he gave me a big long hug when he left too which was nice. It's so funny hugging him now because he's a lot bigger than he used to be.

Yes, I was disappointed - I don't like the Liberals in general. Morrison ran a very strong campaign which people basically believed - that Labour would raise taxes and they shouldn't risk it. Plus Clive Palmer spent a fortune on ads running Shorten down all the time - which also probably worked. Bit of a shame - but negative campaigns work.
Most still see their kids as their babies, regardless of age. Nice that both got a hug.

I partly watched them cackle on about it on TV, as we get news from Australia here.

Didn't notice the end results, as I thought National was ahead. So Labour won or National? I saw like probably 30 to 40 percent through, and had to do something else.

Was watching Netball in Australia compared to NZ Netball. Australian women knock each other to the ground even, but don't take offense to it. Just smile, get back up and play harder. NZ netball seems to be non contact and even light contact is called. Contact, wing defense.
post #983 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Most still see their kids as their babies, regardless of age. Nice that both got a hug.

I partly watched them cackle on about it on TV, as we get news from Australia here.

Didn't notice the end results, as I thought National was ahead. So Labour won or National? I saw like probably 30 to 40 percent through, and had to do something else.

Was watching Netball in Australia compared to NZ Netball. Australian women knock each other to the ground even, but don't take offense to it. Just smile, get back up and play harder. NZ netball seems to be non contact and even light contact is called. Contact, wing defense.
Liberal/National Party won unfortunately.

I've never really watched the netball I don't think - but that doesn't surprise me tbh. They take their sport very seriously here mate.

post #984 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Liberal/National Party won unfortunately.

I've never really watched the netball I don't think - but that doesn't surprise me tbh. They take their sport very seriously here mate.
So was Morrison that won. Trying to get my head around the candidates, parties, as usually don't keep track of politics in Australia.

I think I remember Bob Hawk for Labour, R.I.P. He was funny.

There goes your canoe.
post #985 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM
bipolar

Yesterday actually. I was just saying I wanted to go and see them at the bipolar support group and I ran into the guy that runs it at the library. It's funny how I run into him sometimes. Think I'll go tomorrow and talk to them.
post #986 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM
That painting on the wall

My Mood: Mellow
In spite of not getting much sleep lately, I was able to make some progress with work.

Je veux creuver la main sur le coeur...
post #987 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 AM
bipolar

Had the ultimate nerd day yesterday. I went to the Uni library special collections where they had a trolley of books ready for me to examine. (the same book actually - just different editions) Spent a few hours doing that and confirmed what I needed to find out. It was fantastic.

I think the ladies there got a kick out of seeing me so excited about it - they said they love it when people find what they're looking for. Plus they actually helped a bit anyway by getting all the books for me. I think I'll go back and do it some more next week.
post #988 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Half agony, half hope.

Ran/walked 8 miles today.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #989 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Had the ultimate nerd day yesterday. I went to the Uni library special collections where they had a trolley of books ready for me to examine. (the same book actually - just different editions) Spent a few hours doing that and confirmed what I needed to find out. It was fantastic.

I think the ladies there got a kick out of seeing me so excited about it - they said they love it when people find what they're looking for. Plus they actually helped a bit anyway by getting all the books for me. I think I'll go back and do it some more next week.
Awesome to hear mate.

I can imagine like a kid in a candy store.

Now the question is, which is the first, which is the second edition?

That address thing I mentioned, I probably would have never found it, as in the early days of settlement in many countries (especially if a rural address, which it was in this case) they never had addresses or mailboxes. Closest they had was a pobox at a local post office or a private bag (a tough looking bag one puts on a gate or similar) at each rural address where put mail in and had an assigned number.

One for the books and something that I should have known earlier, as see it in many western movies, just didn't come up in my mind earlier for some reason.

Another way is looking for letters of the time that usually has the pobox or private bag or similar on them.

Oh well, learnt something new on how to find things like that in early times.
post #990 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Awesome to hear mate.

That address thing I mentioned, I probably would have never found it, as in the early days of settlement in many countries (especially if a rural address, which it was in this case) they never had addresses or mailboxes. Closest they had was a pobox at a local post office or a private bag (a tough looking bag one puts on a gate or similar) at each rural address where put mail in and had an assigned number.

One for the books and something that I should have known earlier, as see it in many western movies, just didn't come up in my mind earlier for some reason.

Another way is looking for letters of the time that usually has the pobox or private bag or similar on them.

That's exactly what it was like mate - it was great. I'll go back again this week for another look.

I found out the one I bought is a 2nd edition dust-jacket on a first edition book. No-one in private hands that I know of (except me) has a 2nd with a dust-jacket. That's why I had to go and confirm it in person at the library. I can see why they would have put it on the first edition of the book - as the first edition jacket is extremely rare. One collector I know of has one - the others are in libraries.

It's fun to do this sort of stuff - and i can let the librarians know in the rare books departments, so they know too for the future. With me though I just have to be careful and not get too carried away. I have to step back a bit sometimes and take it easy - I can get very tired and overwhelmed with it all nowadays. At least I know that about myself now which is good.
post #991 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:53 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Awesome to hear mate.

That would have been very tricky mate to work out - you did well to find out about all that. Would make it very hard indeed.
post #992 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what it was like mate - it was great. I'll go back again this week for another look.
Sounds exciting.

Quote:
I found out the one I bought is a 2nd edition dust-jacket on a first edition book. No-one in private hands that I know of (except me) has a 2nd with a dust-jacket. That's why I had to go and confirm it in person at the library. I can see why they would have put it on the first edition of the book - as the first edition jacket is extremely rare. One collector I know of has one - the others are in libraries.
They say dust jackets make them worth more, as I guess preserves them better and are more complete.

But even though doesn't have the original dust cover, still worth alot.

Quote:
It's fun to do this sort of stuff - and i can let the librarians know in the rare books departments, so they know too for the future. With me though I just have to be careful and not get too carried away. I have to step back a bit sometimes and take it easy - I can get very tired and overwhelmed with it all nowadays. At least I know that about myself now which is good.
I can see why you are telling them. So if someone else comes in, can share that info.

Pace ones self so don't get tired so easily. Makes sense, very wise.

Quote:
That would have been very tricky mate to work out - you did well to find out about all that. Would make it very hard indeed.
Thanks mate for the kind words.

Just knowing what they did back then. We get used to modern society once it is all built up and have luxuries like mailboxes. Back then it was the new country to most.
post #993 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:43 AM
bipolar

Quote:

They say dust jackets make them worth more, as I guess preserves them better and are more complete.
Dust jackets can make a huge difference to the price mate. The best example I know of is The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald.

You can find a 1st edition without a wrapper no problem for around the 5 thousand dollar mark. Last time I heard of one with a jacket they wanted about a quarter of a million.

(I don't have one of those though)
post #994 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:20 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Smile

Physics! Gravity power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
I fixed our clogged bathroom sink.....yay!
Siphon!

medical oxygen tube used many times! coffee residue or laundry lint filter washing buildup in bathroom sink.

tube all way threaded to u-bend base or further through, along? Suck! UGH! OK.

watching all muck pass along transparent tube to toilet. push/pull root end up/down to encourage... clear way

also used in car footwell flooded! cabin pollen filter area prone to heavy rainstorm leak. onward, plastic bowls used all time to keep carpet dry..

have a plastic siphon with pump bulb. could do this job. was for evacuating petrol from old car due for green tank collection for next car but failed, so it's clean
post #995 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Dust jackets can make a huge difference to the price mate. The best example I know of is The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald.

You can find a 1st edition without a wrapper no problem for around the 5 thousand dollar mark. Last time I heard of one with a jacket they wanted about a quarter of a million.

(I don't have one of those though)
That is a lot of money for a book.

But in saying that, paintings are worth a lot, but don't have many words to read like a book does.
post #996 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

Technically it was a last night/this morning thing, but I socialized and made a friend! Before we parted ways they thanked me for a good time and told me it's been a long time since they had this much fun because their best friend passed away in April.

Birch tree lost its branch one day in violent winter

I said it was grieving, you said it don't feel nothing
post #997 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:19 AM
CWe
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Tired
Sang to myself in the bathroom mirror..... Bliss

post #998 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Half agony, half hope.

Signed up for my fall courses.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #999 of 1043 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:41 PM

I found a wishbone in our rotisserie chicken. The thing about this is that 2 days ago I had a dream of myself seeing a twinkling star during the day. I was making a wish.

I tape the wishbone on my Vision Board. I kept the bone whole because for the first time ever I thought keeping it whole made more sense than to make a wish with someone then breaking it. Wouldn't breaking it break the luck? So I decided to not break it. My wish is going to come true. I been saying, believing and knowing this for quite some time long before this wishbone.
post #1000 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 AM
SAS Member

New day, new life
Today I can everything I want

Your life is not a problem to be solved but a gift to be opened.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page