Remember the goals you've accomplished over the years! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Remember the goals you've accomplished over the years!

I used to work at a movie theater in high school, and I'd often have to card people if I was put in the position of selling tickets (usually I just sold popcorn and junk food to people)! At first, the thought of carding people was terrifying (major adrenaline rush), since I thought they'd insult me or attack me or something wild like that. Over time, I became more confident in carding those "teeny punk" types, to the point where I didn't have a problem denying people tickets if they didn't provide proper identification. Sure, people would get mad from time to time, but they didn't outwardly appreciate the fact that I was doing a job, and that we were often tested by having underage people "planted" in line to see if we are doing our jobs properly. In short, their frustrations did not make me uncomfortable!

Anyway, this tale is just for the purpose of saying that it's important to recognize those moments in the past when we accomplished our goals in overcoming a social fear. Really focusing on all those seemingly small moments in which we achieved acts as a reminder that we can INDEED do what at first seems extraordinarily difficult.

Feel free to share some examples of instances in which you've accomplished goals or faced challenges despite your initial fears.

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM

Re: Remember the goals you've accomplished over the years!

Hello,

I conquered my fears by speaking to a girl once. She was devastingly beautiful and of course I froze whenever I was around her. I couldn't even make eye contact. Instead I had to resort to my subtle escape from the situation.

But one day I had enough and decided to ask her out. I did she ended up rejecting me.

I did ask her out which made me happy and accomplished. And the rejection didn't hurt.

who is next ?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
SAS Veteran

Re: Remember the goals you've accomplished over the years!

I know what you mean. I have been doing that myself...realizing what I have achieved and I am often taken aback. I put all these instances together where I have overcome SA and I realize I am getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum
Anyway, this tale is just for the purpose of saying that it's important to recognize those moments in the past when we accomplished our goals in overcoming a social fear. Really focusing on all those seemingly small moments in which we achieved acts as a reminder that we can INDEED do what at first seems extraordinarily difficult.

Feel free to share some examples of instances in which you've accomplished goals or faced challenges despite your initial fears.

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page