Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Positive Thinking (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f34/)
-   -   Post a Quote that Inspires You (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f34/post-a-quote-that-inspires-you-86371/)

caflme 03-25-2010 09:22 AM

Post a Quote that Inspires You

I'll start.... with 2

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

Helen Keller

I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

Helen Keller

I take this to mean ... for me... that I can't give in to this urge, like I have been, to stay home and avoid all the hard and uncomfortable stuff out there... I have to make myself uncomfortable, make myself sick to my stomach, risk embarrassment and failure and push through the suckiest stuff - like I used to - and make myself get back out there and live this freakin' life the best I can and then try to go one step better than that.

Now - to just find more motivation around here to do that... nope, it's not under the couch, or under my bed or in my closet... where they hell is my motivation hiding?

laura024 03-25-2010 10:24 AM

Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you.

In other words, look on the bright side of things, and your worries will be put aside.

leonardess 03-25-2010 10:26 AM

pretty much anything by Jack Handy.

Witchcraft 03-29-2010 10:17 AM

I love Arthur Schopenhauer's philosophy. Here's one of his quotes that I find inspiring :roll:
To live alone is the fate of all great souls.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Little Willow 03-29-2010 11:08 AM

The two quotes in my signature. One of them is in Hebrew. It means "This too shall pass", reminding me that any bad moment will pass and I will be happy again. It is pronounced "Gam Zeh YaAvor"

Also the entire Beatles song "Here Comes The Sun"

JayDontCareEh 03-29-2010 02:48 PM

What other people think of me is none of my business -Ellen DeGeneres

polardude18 03-29-2010 09:49 PM

I have a lot of quotes I like, here are a couple

It does not matter who you were, all that matters is who you are
it does not matter where you are from, just where you are at
It does not matter what you drive, but rather what drives you

I also like this one

Today is just another day to not care about what happened yesterday.

That last one I made up myself

TheCanadian1 03-29-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDontCareEh (Post 1321970)
What other people think of me is none of my business -Ellen DeGeneres

My favorite, even though I always make it my business. (stupid brain of mine)

WalkingOnEggShells 03-30-2010 11:20 AM

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." Bill Cosby.

caflme 03-30-2010 11:24 AM

“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.”

caflme 03-31-2010 05:30 AM

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Author Unknown

Dub16 03-31-2010 05:31 AM

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

(Oscar Wilde)

caflme 03-31-2010 05:33 AM

^nice one... that is the way I feel today

alohomora 03-31-2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caflme (Post 1324807)
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Author Unknown

This is a great quote. I find it genuinely helps me when I'm dealing with people who act mean.

Here's another one:

"Be selfish" - A family friend told me that once

"What do YOU want to do?" - Another family friend asked me that once. It really shocked me. I didn't know I was allowed to ask myself that. I thought I had to do what my mom wanted me to do.

"I feel like people get over it" - my work friend's response to me saying, "but didn't your family get upset when you went up and left to a foreign country for a semester?"

Be selfish
People don't need me as much as I think they do
So I just have to do what I want
and if people throw temper tantrums about it
just remember, they will get over it
because they can take care of themselves better than they think they can
and they will find a power in themselves to do what they want to do too

-I made that up actually. It might be extreme and sound bad. But the thing is, being selfish doesn't have to be bad. If I genuinely want to help someone, that is me being "selfish" because I'm doing what I want to do. But it's better than doing something just because someone else asks me to do it. I was kind of hesitant to post this because I'm afraid people will interpret it the wrong way as though we shouldn't care about people. I'm not saying that at all.

Benji90 03-31-2010 08:22 AM

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

also

"If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
-Vincent Van Gogh

power2theweak 03-31-2010 09:57 AM

Love grows by giving. The love we give away is the only love we keep. The only way to retain love is to give it away.

~Elbert Hubbard

WalkingOnEggShells 03-31-2010 09:39 PM

"Even a lower-class can surpass an elite, if he works hard enough."

caflme 03-31-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power2theweak (Post 1324999)
Love grows by giving. The love we give away is the only love we keep. The only way to retain love is to give it away.

~Elbert Hubbard

Thanks, I needed reminding...

Fozzie 04-06-2010 01:14 AM

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

fictionz 04-06-2010 01:30 AM

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought. - Peace Pilgrim