Our Own Rights as People - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Our Own Rights as People

Sure there are times when it would be good to try and impress (like a job interview, etc) but for the most part, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to put on a show to please people. It is not my obligation to look "cool" in front of anyone, I am not there to entertain people. If I want, I can sit back in relax. If I feel like it I can engage in conversation (although I might have to push myself a little). I have a right to make mistakes just like everybody else, I have the right to fire off a lame joke or say something weird or act a little nervous or trip and fall.

I think recognizing our own rights is a good thing for SAer's. Often we become so caught up in what others think about us that we loose sight of what's important, enjoying life without having to put up any facade or worrying about how we came across. We make allowances for other's mistakes yet beat ourselves up over our own little ones. We treat ourselves horribly and say mean things about ourselves that we would never say to other people. I think it is good to remember that we are people too, and holding ourselves to extremely high expectations or putting ourselves down when we don't meet them isn't right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:08 PM

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM
SAS Veteran

Re: Our Own Rights as People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizzy
Sure there are times when it would be good to try and impress (like a job interview, etc) but for the most part, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to put on a show to please people. It is not my obligation to look "cool" in front of anyone, I am not there to entertain people. If I want, I can sit back in relax. If I feel like it I can engage in conversation (although I might have to push myself a little). I have a right to make mistakes just like everybody else, I have the right to fire off a lame joke or say something weird or act a little nervous or trip and fall.

I think recognizing our own rights is a good thing for SAer's. Often we become so caught up in what others think about us that we loose sight of what's important, enjoying life without having to put up any facade or worrying about how we came across. We make allowances for other's mistakes yet beat ourselves up over our own little ones. We treat ourselves horribly and say mean things about ourselves that we would never say to other people. I think it is good to remember that we are people too, and holding ourselves to extremely high expectations or putting ourselves down when we don't meet them isn't right.

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page