Motivate me to get fit - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine

Motivate me to get fit

Losing weight and exercising are two of the very few things that I'm capable of doing right now in terms of self-improvement, and I have been making an effort the past few weeks. Yet for the life of me I cannot think of why I should, so the motivation is very unsteady. So I'd appreciate some motivation to do so, though if it's something obvious I'll probably get argumentative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:45 AM
drifting in mist

Your body is the one possession that you know you will have for the duration of your life. It's your vehicle, entertainment center and dwelling all in one. So for the same reason you would take care of your computer or clean your house, you should take care of your body. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for both your body and your mind.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:54 AM
Sas user

How else would you survive a zombie apocalypse?

believe in urself

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
Well, you got me there, can't argue with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
Your body is the one possession that you know you will have for the duration of your life. It's your vehicle, entertainment center and dwelling all in one. So for the same reason you would take care of your computer or clean your house, you should take care of your body. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for both your body and your mind.
You're absolutely right, and under better circumstances it'd be an excellent argument to make. Thing is, I'd rather have died years ago and if my heart were to give out today, it'd be doing me a big favor. As for the psychological benefits, they're pretty slim on a daily basis even if I manage to stick my schedule. I'm sure I'd feel better about myself if I were toned... but I have little to no confidence I can pull that off with my **** genes, and when all I have to work with is my own body weight. And come to think of it, being ripped wouldn't really help me in any concrete way either unless I take up manual labor or sports or something.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 03:40 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah if you're suicidal or don't/like care about yourself than it's difficult to do anything like that. Might help to dissociate and pretend your body isn't you but a small eco system that's keeping micro-animals alive so you have to do it so they have a place to live for longer. Some crap like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 05:17 AM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

You could look at a baby photo of yourself and tell yourself that you’re looking after the baby in the photo, which is the truth because you’re still the same person.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 10:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
Lots of the reasons about health, cost etc are all online, but often they aren't the biggest driver in losing weight - that would be your personal aim. What do you want out of it specifically, what's your goal? People who stick it out often don't just aim for better health, but want to reduce their risk to heart problems; not just improve mental wellbeing, but get to the point where they don't need to see a therapist; and so on. Find out what your specific reason for losing weight is, what you really care about, and keep that in mind! Every time you don't feel like doing a workout, or every time you want to go out instead of exercise, keep that goal in mind. Every day that you workout, you're taking a step towards your goal, and each time you skip a workout, you're pushing that goal away. Arnold Schwarzenegger used this mentality while he trained

<3
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:15 AM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedEarth View Post
You're absolutely right, and under better circumstances it'd be an excellent argument to make. Thing is, I'd rather have died years ago and if my heart were to give out today, it'd be doing me a big favor. As for the psychological benefits, they're pretty slim on a daily basis even if I manage to stick my schedule. I'm sure I'd feel better about myself if I were toned... but I have little to no confidence I can pull that off with my **** genes, and when all I have to work with is my own body weight. And come to think of it, being ripped wouldn't really help me in any concrete way either unless I take up manual labor or sports or something.
Sorry you're feeling like you want to die. I guess the way I think of it is, unless I kill myself, I have decades more I have to live. The thought of going into old age and being so weak and helpless that I lose all independence is terrifying to me and a big motivator. You don't have to get ripped or even toned. Bodyweight exercises are good as is walking every day and throwing in some runs. Something is always better than nothing.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:58 AM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
Depends if you would want to survive, I think I'd make a good zombie, OP needs to get fit enough to escape me

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 09:38 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
My motivation, even if only mentally is: look at JLo in her 50s. If she's not the fittest woman on the planet. Or consequently bruce lee or Dwayne Johnson? I know I won't get to JLo level at all, but hey at least I can walk a few more steps than i already am. Healthy is more of a feel for me.
It depends on what motivates you too. I mean, does it help more to set a goal of 1 hike per week or take more hikes in general? Switch to greens, include more colors on your plate or have exactly 1 red, 2 green and yellow in your diet? That kind of thing.

I talk a lot of **** but I'm actually quite overweight. Its normal for age though so.. you have to work harder. But that shouldn't deter you. No one can stay 21 forever. That is, if you did gain weight with age. I dunno.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSxo View Post
Lots of the reasons about health, cost etc are all online, but often they aren't the biggest driver in losing weight - that would be your personal aim. What do you want out of it specifically, what's your goal?
That's why I made this thread, for people to try to convince me to do something I know I can. Of course I understand there are health benefits, but it's kind of a moot point when I'd rather be six feet under and prolonging my life would be like asking to be tortured some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSxo View Post
Every day that you workout, you're taking a step towards your goal, and each time you skip a workout, you're pushing that goal away. Arnold Schwarzenegger used this mentality while he trained
Also god-tier genes and an asston of steroids. Not to diminish the huge effort he also surely put into it, but comparisons like that only serve to remind me I'll never be up to snuff no matter how hard I try. Especially if my genetics are terrible for gaining strength like they are at so many other things. I suppose I can't know that for sure unless I give my body good conditions to grow and it just doesn't. And I'm not expecting to gain anything while I'm working off the excess fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
The thought of going into old age and being so weak and helpless that I lose all independence is terrifying to me and a big motivator.
True, though not as scary as losing my mind due to dementia. Not sure that fear is a good motivator for exercise, but it's something. Just thinking I could have another 20-30 years of this life with ever-diminishing health and mounting regrets sends chills down my spine. Hopefully I'll have found a way out well before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
You could look at a baby photo of yourself and tell yourself that you’re looking after the baby in the photo, which is the truth because you’re still the same person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah if you're suicidal or don't/like care about yourself than it's difficult to do anything like that. Might help to dissociate and pretend your body isn't you but a small eco system that's keeping micro-animals alive so you have to do it so they have a place to live for longer. Some crap like that.
Sorry, I can't delude myself like that, I like to think I'm resistant to magical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeur_brise View Post
It depends on what motivates you too. I mean, does it help more to set a goal of 1 hike per week or take more hikes in general? Switch to greens, include more colors on your plate or have exactly 1 red, 2 green and yellow in your diet? That kind of thing.
It has to be a daily routine without exception so that force of habit can help, because motivation alone sure isn't going to cut it. At least since I work from home that means I'm flexible.

Well, thanks all for the replies and encouragement. I will exercise and cut calories, if only to prove to myself and others that I did do something to improve my situation. Even if the outcome is meaningless.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 03:59 AM
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedEarth View Post

Sorry, I can't delude myself like that, I like to think I'm resistant to magical thinking.
Well it actually is true:

edit: do not read the above article if you have a phobia about bugs.

But yeah probably not comforting for most people lol.

You're probably delusional about some things already since most people are. I usually find that the people who go out of their way to point out how rational and logical they are really aren't lol.

Quote:
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:06 AM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Question: Why do you want to improve your overall health & get fit ?

Answer: To be a home for tiny face spiders <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/12.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

That's good enough for me.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:30 AM
Villain

If you have no practical goal in mind, and you actually want to die anyway, I figure you have to get creative lol. Also in fairness the OP said:

Quote:
though if it's something obvious I'll probably get argumentative.
nobody was expecting bug ecosystem.

Suppose another option would be to find a use for working out, develop a hobby that requires it or a hobby that involves exercise in the first place. That's obvious though. I don't have a problem with this because there's something I enjoy doing that involves working out - swimming. Though I don't go swimming now because of covid and previously because of social anxiety but it's not a motivation issue it's an anxiety issue. Back when I did go swimming I also set goals for myself like swimming a certain amount of lengths. There are other things I'd probably enjoy doing too but that anxiety would also impact like team based sports or tennis etc.

Simply working out at the gym though I would find incredibly boring, and I did go to a gym for a while as a teenager with someone else but I also have unpleasant memories because of the person I went with which contribute, but even if I'd gone alone I would have found it boring.

Quote:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page