Mental rituals - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Mental rituals

Do you have any mental rituals that help you confront situations that cause you sa? Making smalltalk with someone, asking your boss something you're afraid to ask.. stuff like that but give examples of other situations if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Jodie94

My Mood: Breezy
Yes! But it'll prove how odd I am, oh well here goes anyway... I often find myself having hypothetical conversations with people in my mind when I'm alone or in a room where other ppl are just outside the door or when I'm about to enter into an anxiety inducing situation. My mind gives me an entire scenario, usually focused around what's bothering me or as an extreme example of what I'm fearing and I find myself internally speaking back to people and often when I'm courageous or stand my ground in this internal events I feel more confident and emerge to meet the challenge all the bolder and more prepared. Sometimes it preps my mind for multi-tasking or recalling things that should be mentioned or done in such situations ahead of me. Anyone know what I mean?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
ΔX

My Mood: Mellow
"Not dead, can't quit."

What is the most important thing you can be doing right now, and why aren't you doing it?
Training is nothing! Will is everything! The will to act.
Often a 80% plan executed right away is better than a 100% plan executed later.
You think that's air you're breathing now?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:55 AM
SAS Member

I practice what I need to say, and plan out the conversation in my head. I also like to say what the little engine that could said "I think I can, I think I can". If I'm entering a room I put my hand on the doorknob and count to three, then I open the door before I have a chance to doubt myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie94 View Post
Yes! But it'll prove how odd I am, oh well here goes anyway... I often find myself having hypothetical conversations with people in my mind when I'm alone or in a room where other ppl are just outside the door or when I'm about to enter into an anxiety inducing situation. My mind gives me an entire scenario, usually focused around what's bothering me or as an extreme example of what I'm fearing and I find myself internally speaking back to people and often when I'm courageous or stand my ground in this internal events I feel more confident and emerge to meet the challenge all the bolder and more prepared. Sometimes it preps my mind for multi-tasking or recalling things that should be mentioned or done in such situations ahead of me. Anyone know what I mean?
I do the same thing sometimes!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:19 AM
SAS Member

Music and journaling my feelings kills my anxiety for the most part. It helps with keeping my grounded because I can have that "me" time to myself to let me process my feelings.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Jodie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorianlady View Post
I practice what I need to say, and plan out the conversation in my head. I also like to say what the little engine that could said "I think I can, I think I can". If I'm entering a room I put my hand on the doorknob and count to three, then I open the door before I have a chance to doubt myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool! Whatever works you know? Often I have to take a moment like that too before something big and have found its better to make people wait a minute than to go right in flustered. Nice to know it's not just me never would have believed so until finding this site. Still can't believe it fully but that's one of the glitches in my brain so yea, thank you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Jodie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt48620 View Post
Music and journaling my feelings kills my anxiety for the most part. It helps with keeping my grounded because I can have that "me" time to myself to let me process my feelings.
Yea writing it all down can really help and a lot of ppl I know use it therapeutically.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 PM
SAS Member

I think to myself that I can die tomorrow and I only have one life so why shouldn't I do this for myself if I know it will make me happy in the end? I won't let my anxiety control how I want to live, and what I experience my life. I tell myself to keep trying because sometimes we think the journey is so far and we forget how close we can be when we feel like giving up. Lastly, I remind myself to accept myself, if I look anxious or foolish ..just embrace it! Laugh at myself after and not take it so seriously. I know I will fail many times why? Because I am taking risks. Failure reminds me that I tried, I am human, it is part of the process and will only teach me each time how to get back up again quicker than before.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page