Permanently Banned

Language: Wookiee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
*Salutes*

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:40 PM
SAS Member

Fireflies

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
one i took that i kind of like
Attached Thumbnails
20170326_121621_1517098544837.jpg  
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 06:48 PM
roivas yromem eerf lla

'

Inspires me to be better whenever I look at them.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Nefelibata

I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Nefelibata

Everything by 'I Capture the Period Pieces'

http://icapturetheperiodpieces.tumbl...ilter-by/photo

I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: English

This photo inspires me because that bird looks strong.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Nefelibata

Giannena

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Nefelibata

(wanna read that someday)

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohikaarme View Post

(wanna read that someday)
Its a fantastic novel. Do you know which translation you want to read, and have you read any other Dostoevsky?
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Nefelibata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbre View Post
Its a fantastic novel. Do you know which translation you want to read, and have you read any other Dostoevsky?
Not really, but that's the plan for sure. I feel it would be a crime to walk this Earth and not read at least a couple Dostoyevsky novels, lol. The other one I would really like to read sometime is 'The Idiot'. Would you recommend any translations in particular?

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Not really, but that's the plan for sure. I feel it would be a crime to walk this Earth and not read at least a couple Dostoyevsky novels, lol. The other one I would really like to read sometime is 'The Idiot'. Would you recommend any translations in particular?
Crime and Punishment and Notes from Underground are worth checking out too — Crime and Punishment is considered his best novel along with The Brothers Karamazov (I prefer Crime and Punishment), and Crime and Punishment is "only" around 550 pages, which is shorter than some of his other novels. Notes from Underground is only 120-130 pages, but it's every bit as good as his novels. Dostoevsky is one of my favourite short story writers too, and there are collections of his short stories.

For Dostoevsky and other Russian translations, people often recommend Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translations. They're a couple who translate Russian literature together. One criticism some people have though is that they're advertised much more than other translators, but honestly, I've enjoyed their translations and they seem fine. But since I usually read their translations, I wanted to try a different one so I read the Ignat Avsey translation, which some people say is the best one. It was perfectly fine, except a few parts did seem a little odd to me. There's also this page that talks about the different translations, and looking at it I'd say I do prefer the Avsey translation.

The Idiot is one of his books I still have to read, and it might be the book of his I read next. But I have a friend who loves Dostoevsky and I don't think she liked The Idiot much.
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:25 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Nefelibata

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Nefelibata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbre View Post
Crime and Punishment and Notes from Underground are worth checking out too Crime and Punishment is considered his best novel along with The Brothers Karamazov (I prefer Crime and Punishment), and Crime and Punishment is "only" around 550 pages, which is shorter than some of his other novels. Notes from Underground is only 120-130 pages, but it's every bit as good as his novels. Dostoevsky is one of my favourite short story writers too, and there are collections of his short stories.

For Dostoevsky and other Russian translations, people often recommend Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translations. They're a couple who translate Russian literature together. One criticism some people have though is that they're advertised much more than other translators, but honestly, I've enjoyed their translations and they seem fine. But since I usually read their translations, I wanted to try a different one so I read the Ignat Avsey translation, which some people say is the best one. It was perfectly fine, except a few parts did seem a little odd to me. There's also this page that talks about the different translations, and looking at it I'd say I do prefer the Avsey translation.

The Idiot is one of his books I still have to read, and it might be the book of his I read next. But I have a friend who loves Dostoevsky and I don't think she liked The Idiot much.
Ah ofc, Crime & Punishment is among the list as well I am actually uncertain whether I should read them in English or just go for the Greek translation since Greek is my native language but will it convey the same disposition as the English one? Idk. Things do sometimes get lost in translation after all. In any case thanks, I'll be checking those out

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 AM
I am average!

Quote:
I wonder if the girl to the right is getting all the sun in her eyes :P
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Nefelibata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
I wonder if the girl to the right is getting all the sun in her eyes :P
...[she turns around] [is wearing shades] :P

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧
─ Anas Nin
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Ah ofc, Crime & Punishment is among the list as well I am actually uncertain whether I should read them in English or just go for the Greek translation since Greek is my native language but will it convey the same disposition as the English one? Idk. Things do sometimes get lost in translation after all. In any case thanks, I'll be checking those out
I wouldnt know about Greek translations. You seem perfectly fluent in English and Dostoevskys books arent that difficult, so I dont think you would have much trouble with an English translation, but maybe there is a better Greek one. The only English translation you might have problems with are Constance Garnetts since she translated his works around 100 years ago and uses some words and terms that are no longer used. Many people consider her translations inferior to more modern ones anyway. I would love to be able to read Dostoevsky in his original lanugage.

If you do read Dostoevsky sometime I hope you enjoy him. He was my favourite author for a long time (and is still one of my favourites). His books are very psychological, and I still havent read another fiction author who has created characters with as much depth and complexity as he has.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page