Violent hate crime committed by MAGA thugs on Jussie Smollett - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: English
A historians wet dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 AM
SAS Member

In the end, Jussie Smollett walks free.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...326-story.html

Quote:
Emanuel spoke for Chicago: Accountability, or lack of it, is at the heart of Tuesday’s stunner. Smollett walks, merely forfeiting the $10,000 cash bond he had posted. Emanuel says that essentially means the forfeiture was a fine — $10,000 in exchange for an expungement. And to make matters even more opaque, Cook County Judge Steven Watkins orders the public court file sealed.
I think somebody (maybe somebody that knows Chicago really well) just called in a BIG favor.

Two things are going to result from this: (1) there will be zero trust in criminal justice. Both the public--and the police--are going to feel they have no say in society. What's the point? You just spent over $100,000 in police resources and overtime pay, you caught your man, the evidence is overwhelming, and the suspect you spent all your time bringing to justice walks free with a fine he could easily pay with his pocket change--and with no record of anything ever happening! (2) whoever has such power to influence the system will continue to do it over and over. If the system wasn't already broken, it's definitely broken now.

I remember mentioning that this case was like a new generation "O.J. Simpson": well, like O.J, the suspect has just walked free. Except in this case--like so much of today's political and legislative and financial cases--you don't even need to mask it in moral/social issues for a jury to discuss and decide on; the authority just orders what it wants and they get it.

If this isn't a sign of an accelerating social institutional collapse, I don't know what is. I remember thinking when O.J. was found innocent that it wasn't O.J's fault: the justice system had just failed on the public. This time though, the justice system is simply irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha Clarke View Post
A historians wet dream.
Boy, it sure is!

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:57 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post

I think somebody (maybe somebody that knows Chicago really well) just called in a BIG favor.

Two things are going to result from this: (1) there will be zero trust in criminal justice. Both the public--and the police--are going to feel they have no say in society. What's the point? You just spent over $100,000 in police resources and overtime pay, you caught your man, the evidence is overwhelming, and the suspect you spent all your time bringing to justice walks free with a fine he could easily pay with his pocket change--and with no record of anything ever happening! (2) whoever has such power to influence the system will continue to do it over and over. If the system wasn't already broken, it's definitely broken now.

I remember mentioning that this case was like a new generation "O.J. Simpson": well, like O.J, the suspect has just walked free. Except in this case--like so much of today's political and legislative and financial cases--you don't even need to mask it in moral/social issues for a jury to discuss and decide on; the authority just orders what it wants and they get it.

If this isn't a sign of an accelerating social institutional collapse, I don't know what is. I remember thinking when O.J. was found innocent that it wasn't O.J's fault: the justice system had just failed on the public. This time though, the justice system is simply irrelevant.

Boy, it sure is!
Just another example of the 'advantages' people with money and suasion reap in the criminal justice system. At least his career is ruined.

The DA's office said there was nothing unusual about the handling of this case that would set it apart from 5,000 other cases handled in 'alternative' fashion in the recent past. I would be curious to see how true that is.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post

Boy, it sure is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Just another example of the 'advantages' people with money and suasion reap in the criminal justice system. At least his career is ruined.

The DA's office said there was nothing unusual about the handling of this case that would set it apart from 5,000 other cases handled in 'alternative' fashion in the recent past. I would be curious to see how true that is.
Whatever happened definitely caused a rift in the police department. All the documents regarding the investigation have been released, and a little too quickly if I do say so.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

EDIT : A gag order just went out on the chicago PD https://twitter.com/JoshMargolin/sta...49723660267522

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Chicago's mayor Rahm Emanuel says the sudden move to drop charges against actor Jussie Smollett over a hoax attack has made a fool of the city.

The state's attorney's office maintains Mr Smollett has not been exonerated, while Mr Smollett's lawyers say his record has been wiped clean.

"They better get their stories straight because this is actually making a fool of all of us," the mayor told ABC News.

Police maintain Mr Smollett staged a racist and homophobic attack.

Mr Smollett has insisted throughout that he is innocent of all these allegations.

Speaking on Good Morning America on Wednesday, Mr Emanuel pilloried the Empire actor, saying he "abused the city of Chicago".

"You have the state's attorney's office saying he's not exonerated, he actually did commit this hoax. He's saying he's innocent and his words aren't true."

The mayor said police had evidence that Mr Smollett had made up claims that he was attacked on 29 January in downtown Chicago by two masked men who he claimed shouted racist and homophobic slurs, poured bleach on him and put a rope round his neck.

So what are prosecutors saying?

Illinois prosecutor Joe Magats made the decision to drop charges against the TV actor on Tuesday in a move that blindsided police - but he maintains that Mr Smollett is guilty.

"Our priority is violent crimes and the drivers of violence," Mr Magats told CBS News. "Jussie Smollett is neither one of those."

He added that community service and a fine is a common outcome for such a case. When asked if those penalties were sufficient for Mr Smollett, he said: "I feel that it is."

Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney, told NBC News that prosecutors "did not exonerate Mr Smollett", but offered an agreement available "to any defendant with similar circumstances".

"The charges were dropped in return for Mr Smollett's agreement to do community service and forfeit his $10,000 bond to the City of Chicago.

"Without the completion of these terms, the charges would not have been dropped."

Police, however, have disagreed, with Supt Eddie Johnson saying if Mr Smollett "wanted to clear his name, the way to do that was in a court of law so that everyone could see the evidence".

A Chicago police union on Tuesday renewed calls for a federal inquiry looking into what role the state's prosecutor Kimberly Foxx, who recused herself, played in the case.

In a statement to NBC, the Fraternal Order of Police said they are "outraged...but not surprised".

The union said Ms Foxx had "transformed the prosecutor's office to a political arm of the anti-police movement".

What's this about a former Obama aide?

State's Attorney Ms Foxx recused herself from the Smollett case last month, citing a conflict of interest "based upon familiarity with potential witnesses in the case".

According to local media, attorney Tina Tchen, former chief of staff to First Lady Michelle Obama, connected Ms Foxx with Mr Smollett's family in the days following the alleged attack.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this month that Ms Tchen had texted Ms Foxx on 1 February that the actor's family had "concerns about the investigation".

Ms Foxx later told the Sun-Times that those worries were regarding leaked information about the case from "police sources", and that the family felt the FBI would keep a "tighter lid on the information".

Days after the attack, Ms Foxx said she discussed transferring the case to the FBI with Supt Johnson, who she said seemed open to the idea.

She then contacted Ms Tchen and Mr Smollett's relative to inform them about her call with the superintendent, according to records viewed by the newspaper.

"Spoke to the Superintendent Johnson," she wrote to Ms Tchen in an email. "I convinced him to reach out to FBI to ask that they take over the investigation. He is reaching out now and will get to me shortly."

After Ms Foxx sent the relative a similar message, they replied: "OMG this would be a huge victory."

Ms Foxx's office did not immediately return a request for comment from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47723017

Something fishy here

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead

These people are making a complete mockery out of Chicago.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Chicago is stuck on Obamatime. That city has been a heap of ruin since Rahmbo took office. He blames Trump for the obvious corruption he allowed. One of the people involved was affiliated with Michelle Obama.

She must watch Empire.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding

Jussie won't pay the $130K Chicago billed him. Chicago will probably sue him.

This case has the Obamas' slimy fingerprints all over it.

"We need a healthy economy and we shouldn't be embarrassed about our system. If you want to look at a system that is non-capitalistic, just take a look at what was perhaps the wealthiest country in the world and today people are starving to death. It's called Venezuela."

- Michael Bloomberg

--------------

“The media everywhere is mostly liberal.”

- Former CBS News Reporter Lara Logan
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
Very gruesome story. Empire actor, who is black and gay, was verbally and physically assaulted by two white supremacists. They poured bleach on him and placed a noose around his neck, yelling "this is MAGA country." Apparently these two trump supporters didn't get the memo that the far right hate Chicago.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...175325540.html
@Cletis

My, how this story has changed!

After being renewed for a sixth season, "Empire" will continue without any planned appearances of Smollett's character.

Well......in a twist only the lefties could do to "avoid shame".....it has been announced that the sixth season of "Empire" will be the last.......and Jussie Smollett will not appear in any episode this season.

The leftist Hollywood elite will quietly end the show while Jussie gets paid for absolutely no work in the final year.

.....all for committing a crime, or two. Republicans are going to use this.....perfect example of Democratic corruption.

'Empire' to end after Season 6 with 'no plans' to bring Jussie Smollett back

By Tyler McCarthy

Judge LeRoy K. Martin Jr. will leave the decision on whether to assign a special prosecutor to investigate Kim Foxx's handling of 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett's case to the presiding judge instead; Matt Finn reports from Chicago.

Fox announced that its hit drama “Empire” will end after Season 6 and that there are still no plans to bring back Jussie Smollett’s character.

The series recently aired the Season 5 finale after writing the embattled star out of the final episodes. Smollett was accused of faking a hate crime attack against himself in Chicago. He maintained his innocence and the 16 charges against him were ultimately dropped.

Speaking to reporters during a press call Monday, Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier revealed that Season 6 will be the show’s last.

“We're turning the final season of Empire into a large television event. If you look at what we're doing with Empire... we really are trying to go out guns a-blazing," Collier said (via Entertainment Tonight). "One of the great benefits of announcing a final season is to allow the fans to lean in and to have the ending they deserve, and that's everything we're trying to do with this iconic series. Six years is a pretty remarkable run for a drama series and we feel good about it."

As Variety notes, Collier was asked if the news means Smollett’s character, Jamal, will return for a final farewell. He explained that there are no such plans, but that it’s possible.
“At this point, we have no plans for that,” Collier said. “The writer's room for next season hasn’t even gathered yet.”

20th Century Fox TV previously told Fox News that there were no plans to include Smollett in Season 6 of “Empire” despite his contract being extended.
A spokesperson for Smollett told Fox News at the time: “We've been told that Jussie will not be on ‘Empire’ in the beginning of the season but he appreciates they have extended his contract to keep Jamal’s future open. Most importantly he is grateful to Fox and ‘Empire’ leadership, cast, crew and fans for their unwavering support.”

“Empire” showrunner Brett Mahoney previously said that Season 6 will be a “reset” for the series and that he believes other characters will step up narratively to fill the void left behind by Jamal’s absence.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM
SAS Member

Jussie Smollett will not be returning to Empire, the show's co-creator Lee Daniels has now confirmed.
Responding to claims that writers were preparing for Smollett's comeback, Daniels tweeted: "Jussie will NOT be returning to Empire."

Lol

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page