UK election (again lol) thread 2019 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

UK election (again lol) thread 2019

This forum is pretty dead, but I guess since this thread doesn't exist I will just make it and copy and paste my post from the type what you're thinking about thread in here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-...channel=social

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/stat...48372060913667

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-50567551

Biased much lol?

Edit: Oh this is an interesting development:

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:12 PM
SAS Member

Even if I weren't a leftist I'd still vote to keep the Tories out of power purely for the sake of the NHS if I lived in the UK, if the Tory party is anything like the Republican party (and I think it is) then it functions to privatize, and it will surely continue to chip away at the NHS slowly putting it in private hands, and when you privatize a service that's a bell that becomes pretty damn hard to unring. I sometimes wonder if the average person in the UK grasps the reality of living w/ a private healthcare system, if not it maybe makes it harder to understand the urgency of making sure the NHS get's properly funded rather than running the risk of it's continued deterioration under the Tories.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:21 AM
SAS Member

I'll vote for anyone except the tories and the sub tory brexit party

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:18 AM
SAS Member

So, apparently, the Simpleton gave an abysmal interview with Andrew Marr this morning, which, as I understand it, is quite the feat.

He's so hopelessly unfit to be Prime Minister. He has no idea what he's talking about, he's hopelessly incompetent, a liar, a cheat, a racist, a homophobe and a sexist. But, still, there are brain-dead morons who will vote for him. Presumably because, comparing themselves to him, they feel intelligent for the first time in their lives.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Anyway I said this another thread already but might as well update here I guess since the election is today, voted labour already by post. Don't have optimistic feelings about this election really but we shall see.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 07:17 AM
experimental sincerity

Anyone staying up all night to watch the votes being counted? I'm too much of a foreigner to be allowed near a ballot box (plus I'm from the former Soviet bloc so probably a dangerous communist), but I'm very excited about this ellection. There's a chance of great things. Not a massive chance, but a chance nethertheless.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

^ might end up doing that but I've not long 'fixed' my sleeping pattern for the 75,000th time so kind of want to keep it going. I stayed up for the.. 2015? election I think.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:19 AM
experimental sincerity

@Persephone The Dread > Ugh, same problem here. I really should be in bed by 10pm, and I'm currently abroad so it's +2h as well. I figured I'll stick around until it starts to get really painful -_-

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Walking through windows

Belgian boi from just across the Straights of Dover here, following things on your end ~
The Dutch are already planning a literal mass waving goodbye event on the beach to our north, but I'm hoping for no disastrous heartbreak yet

And yup, waiting on the BBC to start coverage at GMT+1 and probably gonna stay up all night too. Bye sticking to fixing my pattern

Shoutout to you, comrade @rabidfoxes I've just come back from three weeks in Polska :v
I'm from the EU capital, so probably a fascist eurocrat on top of a commie sympathiser - _ -

I am not my rosy self
Left my roses on my shelf
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Walking through windows

Hopefully it won't be applicable, but Imma just gonna put it here in anxious anticipation.

I am not my rosy self
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 PM
experimental sincerity

@Euripides > hah, that's pretty awesome. I suppose you and the French could just detach the Eurostar tunnel on the Calais end and the UK could drift away from the continent all on its lonesome.

I'm returning to the UK shortly to work in housing/homelessness, and I expect there will be plenty of work for the next 5 years if Tories win again!

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Walking through windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
@Euripides > hah, that's pretty awesome. I suppose you and the French could just detach the Eurostar tunnel on the Calais end and the UK could drift away from the continent all on its lonesome.
Hah, don't give the French any ideas about Calais
And, unless our grubby bureaucrat hand from Brussels doesn't reach out and grab on to you. The North Sea wouldn't be the same without you

Ah, exit polls.

Whelp.

I am not my rosy self
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:40 PM
SAS Member

Damn, the exit polls are out, Labour was crushed. I'm assuming Corbyn's indecisive stance on Brexit had something to do w/ it, which is unfortunate, that doesn't warrant keeping the Conservatives in power imo.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Most of Scotland will have voted SNP which is a pain. I actually think the Tories are more popular there now than Labour and Scotland is more left wing than the UK in general.

Quote:
The Green Party will still have one MP
Damn come on Brighton you can get your green MP back later after we find a way to send the conservatives to the moon.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

It's a shame, the new Labour manifesto was easily the best agenda being put out by any leftist candidate really in any country in a long time, and the UK needs it bad. When we all inevitably fall on hard economic times in the future this is what you're going to get from the Tories (as well as Republicans) "It's time to tighten up our belts a bit during these hard economic times" that means cutting social service budgets left and right, poverty and homelessness will increase, debt will increase, wages will not increase, etc. It's what modern right-wing governments have always done and it's all they'll ever do, and when this all happens right-wingers in the UK won't take a look in the mirror, they'll just blame immigrants.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 PM
SAS Member

They know that everything is my fault:
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Well this is the worst Friday the 13th, including the day/night where I was sick a bunch of times because the sea was really rough, and then had to try and sleep in a small car overnight with 4 other people.

Well, at least my constituency voted labour.

Why are people yelling at Corbyn? It's not his fault capitalism is a nightmare and people are in love with the abusive relationship.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Walking through windows

As the thread's official EU representative: ffs we aren't laughing at you, we're crying with you.

A bright day for neo-liberalism. A dark one for the rest of us.

(but, hey, psst, Scotland ..wink wink)

I am not my rosy self
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Well this is the worst Friday the 13th, including the day/night where I was sick a bunch of times because the sea was really rough, and then had to try and sleep in a small car overnight with 4 other people.

Well, at least my constituency voted labour.

Why are people yelling at Corbyn? It's not his fault capitalism is a nightmare and people are in love with the abusive relationship.
It's frustrating, Liberals, centrists, people in his own party, and the corporate press including the BBC have been demonizing him this whole time and now that he couldn't prevail over all that bulls*** they turn it around on him as if he's responsible for it all. The unfortunate reality is that left wing politics will always have an uphill battle in a neoliberal society.

Anyway, I liked this tweet.

The 18-40 crowd needs to be just as reliable as the older generations when it comes to voting.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeclub View Post
It's frustrating, Liberals, centrists, people in his own party, and the corporate press including the BBC have been demonizing him this whole time and now that he couldn't prevail over all that bulls*** they turn it around on him as if he's responsible for it all. The unfortunate reality is that left wing politics will always have an uphill battle in a neoliberal society.

Anyway, I liked this tweet.

The 18-40 crowd needs to be just as reliable as the older generations when it comes to voting.
Yeah the media have really jumped on him. I looked it up and only 67.4% people voted, which is down from last time.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1205284227895496704

I don't know why people keep bringing up student politics they often don't vote due to not being registered, I didn't vote when I was a student years ago many others I knew didn't, and even when they intend to vote stuff like this happens:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-17400362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripides View Post
As the thread's official EU representative: ffs we aren't laughing at you, we're crying with you.

A bright day for neo-liberalism. A dark one for the rest of us.

(but, hey, psst, Scotland ..wink wink)
Yeah I imagine Scotland will leave now if they get another referendum, it was fairly close last time. My best friend has actually lived there for the last several years though he's from England originally, so I guess I'll have first hand info on comparisons.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page