The Trump Effect - Brazil Edition - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Optimism Prime~

The Trump Effect - Brazil Edition

A far-right populist has been elected in Brazil, some commentators have called him the 'Tropical Trump'. We are living in interesting times ladies and gents.

Quote:

Far-right politician Jair Bolsonaro has won a sweeping victory in Brazil's presidential election.

The former army captain won 55.2% of the vote against 44.8% for Fernando Haddad of the left-wing Workers' Party.

Mr Bolsonaro's pledge to fight crime and corruption following a string of scandals have won him mass support.

However critics are worried by his praise of Brazil's former dictatorship, and by his comments on race, women and homosexuality.

In one infamous incident in 2015 he told a fellow lawmaker she was too ugly to rape.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46013408

slow progress is still progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 PM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
Oh the openly homophobic and sexist guy that likes the idea of torture and believes the amazon should be up for sale?

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
There's been a lot of corruption going on there.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
There's been a lot of corruption going on there.
And electing this guy is not going to help the situation.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah I heard about this.

"I wouldn’t rape you because you don’t deserve it."

From a 2014 exchange with congresswoman Maria do Rosario in Brazil's lower house. Rosario had claimed that Bolsonaro's remarks had encouraged rape. In a subsequent newspaper interview, Bolsonaro said Rosario was "not worth raping; she is very ugly."

"I would prefer my son to die in an accident than be gay."

From a 2011 interview with Playboy magazine. Bolsonaro said he "would be incapable of loving a homosexual son," adding: "If a gay couple came to live in my building, my property will lose value. If they walk around holding hands, kissing, it will lose value!"

"I've got five kids but on the fifth I had a moment of weakness and it came out a woman."

In 2002, after then-President Fernando Henrique Cardoso held a rainbow flag at an even in support of same-sex marriage, Bolsonaro said: “I won’t fight against it nor discriminate, but if I see two men kissing each other on the street, I’ll beat them up,” he said.

Why do people give scum power?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Optimism Prime~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah I heard about this.

... Why do people give scum power?
It's amazing in a way, because as little as 5-6 years ago those kind of statements would have meant the end of any kind of political career. Now they either don't have an effect or in some circumstances can galvanise certain people to help you win an election.

I wonder if there's any kind of standard any more, is there something that can be said that would torpedo someone's election hopes. The bar is being set so low right now =S

slow progress is still progress.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 11:58 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Samurai View Post
It's amazing in a way, because as little as 5-6 years ago those kind of statements would have meant the end of any kind of political career. Now they either don't have an effect or in some circumstances can galvanise certain people to help you win an election.

I wonder if there's any kind of standard any more, is there something that can be said that would torpedo someone's election hopes. The bar is being set so low right now =S
I'm not that familiar with Brazilian politics tbf, so I'm not sure how inherently liberal/conservative the country generally skews but yeah I think a lot of people are willing to dismiss people saying stuff like that if they give off an air of being powerful in certain ways. That seems to be what a slight majority of people are looking for most of the time. That and, more recently, entertainment value.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM
SAS Member

From what I've been seeing in south american politics in the past few years is that the winner of the election is the one who can place more evidence of corruption against the other opponent(s).

...and that they get ousted in shame at the end, or during the middle, of their tenure (Mauricio Macri of Argentina should be next in line in this pattern) and so the presidency really doesn't mean much to the common folk.

The only real winners are those who back the US state department. Venezuela is the only place where the US state dept. didn't get its way.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

Putin is the real winner. His plan to create a global alliance of authoritarian oligarchies for the rich is going very well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
At this point, it's hard to know whether to laugh, get angry or wonder if the simulation we're in is starting to get glitchy. That rape comment alone should have made most of the population completely hostile to him, but here we are.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page